Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2016 Mercedes-AMG GT S Road Test | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited December 2014 in Mercedes-Benz

image2016 Mercedes-AMG GT S Road Test | Edmunds.com

Mercedes-Benz didn't make its name selling pure sports cars, but it aims to change its reputation by adding a car it claims will fill that role: the 2016 Mercedes-Benz AMG GT and GT S.

Read the full story here

Comments

• bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    edited December 2014
    On a list that includes the GT S and the 3 named alternatives, this car is a distant 4th for me. Money no object, the 911 is the only choice even though the Stingray is an incredible value with supercar performance and the Jag is simply beautiful as well as potent.
  • mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    I have always been a die-hard 911 guy (username aside). I grew up around them, raced them from a young age, and generally worshiped all things Zuffenhausen. However, the AMG GT is the first car to ever give my undying admiration a bit of pause. It is undeniably a more beautiful thing than the 911 and delivers almost identical performance. I would still probably end up with a 911 in the end, but this Benz is seriously impressive. I would certainly prefer one over an F-Type or Corvette. The Z06 is a mind-blowing performance tool, but it just isn't special enough for the price. A standard Stingray is a lot more desirable. Similarly, the F-Type is a stunning car, but it is a far inferior performance vehicle to everything else on the list.
    It just goes to show how subjective style is. For me the GT is awkward looking. The 911's proportions are much more pleasing to my eyes.
  • subatomicsubatomic Member Posts: 140
    I noticed that the Viper SRT was not considered as a potential competitor (once again). The Viper is still relatively new and only preceded the arrival of the C7 Stingray by months, but it continues to be ignored. What is this indifference or bias against the Viper? If there are flaws or shortcomings with the Viper, why not try to bring them to light in a long term test? This car is America's only "other" sports car and it should be celebrated and appreciated while it still exists and not simply remembered after it is dead and gone. I challenge Edmunds to prove that it is not unfairly biased against the current Viper with a long term test.
  • marcos9marcos9 Member Posts: 96
    For me there is no second thoughts - 911 turbo in MT. But the fact the AMG GT's closest competitors include the aforementioned puts it in good company indeed. The biggest failing IMO for AMGs "serious driving" vehicles is their transmission. Maybe that will be addressed in the AMG GT Black Edition. Too bad we won't ever see a manual transmission in one of these - that would be awesome. But strictly as a grand tourer, the AMG GTS would be near the top, if the top of that list - IMO of course.
  • mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    @bankerdanny,

Isn't that the truth! I actually find the 991 a pretty awkward design from some angles. The 997 was a far more honest Porsche shape and I much preferred it. The new car has an unusually trunkated nose that makes the rear end look enormous. That isn't to say I dislike it. I still find the 911 more beautiful thank most everything else, but it certainly doesn't make the cut for my top 3 favorite 911 designs (993, 930, and 997 in that order).

The AMG GT, on the other hand, has strikingly classic proportions. That massive hood that goes on for days, the short tear-drop rear, the powerful haunches. The introduction for these cars was here in the Bay Area and I saw a few driving along Skyline. In person they are jaw-dropping. Even a Jag F-Type would fade into the background next to an AMG GT. You really need to see one in person. The proportions are borderline comical so it really doesn't photograph very well.
  • cjasiscjasis Member Posts: 274
    To my eyes this is a MUCH better looking car than the SLS but it's still odd from some angles. I'm sure it's a wonderful car (and based on the Chris Harris video I saw it really sounds magnificent... ps - why is it that AMG seems to be the only manufacturer to make turbo charged V8's sound good? Yes, I'm looking at you Audi and Porsche) but to be honest, I'd rather have a 911. Even a Carrera S or GTS. Why? I still prefer a proper three pedal manual and I need and use the rear seats. Having said that, I'm glad MB is offering this as it can't do anything but push the others to improve too.
    I think the Viper's basic problem is that while it is greatly improved, it still remains a pretty crude vehicle compared to the GT, 911, and even the Corvette. I like the Viper's execution of the long hood short passenger compartment better than the GTs, but would much rather have the MB's everything else. Improved or not the Viper remains a wooden club in a collection of fine edged weapons.
  • subatomicsubatomic Member Posts: 140

I think the Viper's basic problem is that while it is greatly improved, it still remains a pretty crude vehicle compared to the GT, 911, and even the Corvette. I like the Viper's execution of the long hood short passenger compartment better than the GTs, but would much rather have the MB's everything else. Improved or not the Viper remains a wooden club in a collection of fine edged weapons.

bankerdanny, I greatly respect your opinion. Perhaps the Viper is not as refined as the GT, 911 or Corvette, but I think that SRT has made significant strides in refinement, driving characteristics and interior quality over the old car. I am not convinced that the Viper is still the crude weapon that it once was. Around a track, it will give a Z06 or GT3 a run for the money. In addition, the sound of the V-10 engine is ominous, foreboding and intoxicating all at the same time. Car and Driver ran it in a recent Lightning Lap and it looked and sounded incredible (http://www.caranddriver.com/features/lightning-lap-2014-srt-viper-ta-hot-lap-video).