Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Technical Service Bulletins

Comments

• shesfyneshesfyne Member Posts: 32
    Wondering if anyone with access to TSB's, would be willing to look these up for me and send them or post them. I can only get the summaries and the dealership looked at them, but wouldn't allow us to look at them. I don't really want to wait to order them, as I need to make a decision on Tuesday. Thanks so much.
    Shesfyne@aol.com

Make: PONTIAC Model: BONNEVILLE Year: 1997

Service Bulletin Number: 010601007 Bulletin Sequence Number: 191 Date of Bulletin: 02/01

NHTSA Item Number: 619176
    Component: ENGINE COOLING SYSTEM

Make: PONTIAC Model: BONNEVILLE Year: 1997

Service Bulletin Number: 010601007A Bulletin Sequence Number: 620 Date of Bulletin: 07/01

NHTSA Item Number: 620835
    Component: ENGINE COOLING SYSTEM
  • 0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    Both TSBs are the same, one is an update of the other. It is an updated intake manifold gasket and is a very common problem.

The TSB, you will need a zip extractor.
    I'm thinking I must not have a zip extractor as it comes back web page not found. I appreciate you trying to help though. Thanks.

Deb
    Try this page

It will only be there for a few days.
    Bless your heart, I got it! Thanks so much.

Deb
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Head Gasket Failure
    98054A TSB

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• thirdhondathirdhonda Member Posts: 5
    They have a bunch of Adobe PDF files for download. Just search for whatever year and make, and they'll be displayed.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/problems/tsb/service1.cfm?SearchTopic=Vehicle

Emphasis should be put on some TSBs are downloadable. Not all. But it is nice to see they finally are setting up to provide TSB information.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I would really appreciate it if someone could post the text of BMW Service Information Bulletin 170202 dated September 2002. It deals with the replacement of a radiator vent hose fitting on the E39 Five Series. Thanks!
    Got to have the year of the vehicle to look it up.
    The car would be a 1997 528i.
    Did you get that number from NHTSA?
    If you did, it would explain alot.
    The only TSB I can find for the cooling system for that vehicle is this one.

Group 11
    Engine
    Bulletin Number
    11 02 99
    Woodcliff Lake, NJ
    May 1999
    Product Engineering
    SUBJECT:
    Coolant Thermostat - Design Update
    MODEL:
    E36 (Including Z3 2.8) with M52 and S52 engines and E39 with M52 engine
    Nope, it supposedly came from a BMW dealer; I tried to look it up on Alldata at a friend's shop, but he hasn't received his Fourth Quarter 2002 discs yet.
  • petethefinnpetethefinn Member Posts: 14
    Opatience (and everyone),
    I described my problems earlier and you were very helpful (see 248-253 above). Unfortunately, even after visiting the dealer with the TSBs you obtained for me, I still have a problem with occasionally low and rough idle when in gear and a gas filler cap that is difficult to open. I see on the Alldata site that the Chrysler TSBs concerning engine controls and fuel filler cap have now been revised (new numbers, 18-013-02A and 14-001-02A). - I wonder if you could once more help me out? The car is still under warranty, but I'm afraid the dealership will probably claim ignorance if I don't have the TSBs to show them. Many thanks in advance. (BTW, I probably still won't be able to open zip files, sorry.)
    14-001-02A

18-013-02A

May only be there for a few days, as space is getting to be a concern.
    Thanks, I got them. Your help is greatly appreciated.
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Member Posts: 535
    Pat the host Cadillac forum sent me here to see if I can find TSB for my 03 Cadillac CTS I have a wet floor (leak - ac ? ) and I have another leak ....I can see condensation in the lic plate /reverse light assembly on the trunk lid Thanks in advance Bill
    Water Leak Guide - Rear Passenger Floor Carpet Wet/Musty Odor and/or Spare Tire Well Wet (Apply Sealer) #02-08-57-005 - (06/21/2002)
    Waterleak Guide -- Rear Passenger Floor Carpet Wet/Musty Odor and/or Spare Tire Well Wet (Apply Sealer)
    2003 Cadillac CTS
    This bulletin contains repair information for the following conditions:
    Condition 1 -- LH and/or RH Rear Passenger Floor Carpet Wet/Musty Odor
    Condition 2 -- Spare Tire Well Wet
    Condition 1
    LH and/or RH rear passenger floor carpet or foot well may be wet or has a musty odor. Technicians may find evidence of water along the inner rocker panel, in the rear floor pan area and in the foam backing of the rear floor carpet.
    Cause
    This condition may be due to excessive amounts of water passing over the air inlet grille panels and entering the passenger compartment through gaps, skips or missing sealant between the plenum panel , the front of dash panels and the front compartment outer side rail panels .
    In addition, the water leak may be due to sealant interfering with the mating of the passenger compartment air filter box seal.
    Correction
    Refer to the removal procedures in the Service Manual for the following:
    Remove the RH and LH wiper arms.
    Remove the wiper motor module assembly.
    Remove the battery assembly.
    Clean the area along the joint/seam and edges of the plenum panel and front compartment outer side rail panel.
    Along the joint/seam and edges , apply 3M® Strip-Calk, P/N 08578, or an equivalent thumb grade sealer. Ensure all voids are filled and the sealer is smoothed.
    Clean the area along the edges and joint/seam of the plenum panel and the front of dash panel.
    Along the edges and joint/seam, apply GM Seam-Sealer Tape, P/N 12378196 ( in Canada, P/N 10953435), or an equivalent body seam sealer. Ensure all voids are filled and the sealer is smoothed.
    Inspect the passenger air filter box to ensure the retaining clips are fully seated and that the mating surface of the filter box seal is free of sealant and debris.
    Refer to the installation procedures in the Service Manual for the following:
    Install the battery assembly.
    Install the wiper motor module assembly.
    Install the RH and LH wiper arms.
    Condition 2
    The rear compartment or spare tire well may be wet.
    Cause
    This condition may be due to water entering the rear compartment through gaps, skips or missing sealant between the rear compartment lid lower panel and upper panel and between the rear window drain panel and rear outer quarter panel.
    In addition, the water leak may be due to an improperly positioned rear compartment lid weatherstrip and/or tail lamp harness pass-through grommet.
    Correction
    Open the rear compartment lid and remove the bumpers and seals.
    Inspect the bumper and seal ends for evidence of water.
    If the ends are wet, go to Step 3.
    If the ends are NOT wet, go to Step 7.
    Refer to the removal procedures in the Service Manual for the following:
    Remove the rear compartment lid inner panel trim.
    Remove the rear compartment lid applique/high mount stop lamp assembly.
    Clean the area along the joint/seam (refer to the arrows in the illustration) of the rear compartment lid lower panel and upper panel.
    Over the existing sealant, apply 3M® Ultrapro™ Urethane Seam Sealer, P/N 08360 or 08361, or an equivalent brush-on type seam sealer or body seam sealant. Ensure all voids are filled and the sealer is smoothed.
    Refer to the installation procedures in the Service Manual for the following:
    Install the rear compartment lid applique/high mount stop lamp assembly.
    Install the rear compartment lid inner panel trim.
    Water test the area along the joint/seam of the rear window drain panel and the rear outer quarter panel .
    If water is leaking from this area into the rear compartment, go to Step 8.
    If water is NOT leaking from this area, go to Step 10.
    Clean the area along the joint/seam.
    Over the existing sealant, apply 3M® Strip-Calk, P/N 08578, or an equivalent thumb grade sealant. Ensure all voids are filled and the sealer is smoothed.
    Inspect the rear compartment lid weatherstrip to ensure the seal has not "rolled out".
    Use the powder test to check for even contact.
    If necessary, adjust the seal.
    Parts Information
    GM Seam-Sealer Tape, P/N 12378196 (in Canada, P/N 10953435)
    3M® Strip-Calk, P/N 08578
    3M® Ultrapro™ Autobody Sealant
    3M® Ultrapro™ Urethane Seam Sealer (Brushable), P/N 08360 or 08361
    --------------------------------------------------

Wet Carpet on Front Passenger Side of Vehicle Occurs with Outside Freeze-Thaw Temperature Cycles (Modify Plenum Drain Valve) #02-01-37-003 - (03/08/2002)
    Wet Carpet On Front Passenger Side of Vehicle Occurs With Outside Freeze-Thaw Temperature Cycles (Modify Plenum Drain Valve)
    2003 Cadillac CTS
    Built Prior To VIN Breakpoint 30103532
    Condition
    Some customers living in cold climate areas may comment on the front passenger floor carpet being wet or water leaking from the bottom of the HVAC module. This condition is most likely if one or more of the following events occur:
    A parked, snow-covered vehicle experiences an outside thaw-freeze-thaw temperature cycle.
    After having driven through a car wash, heavy rain or snow, a vehicle is parked and experiences an outside freeze-thaw temperature cycle.
    Cause
    This condition may be due to the plenum drain valve freezing shut. This allows water to back up and enter into the passenger compartment through the passenger compartment air filter and the HVAC module assembly.
    Correction
    Modify the plenum drain valve.
    Check the passenger compartment air filter and carpet to ensure they are clean, dry and not damaged. Clean or replace as necessary.
    Procedure
    Raise and suitably support the vehicle.
    Remove the plenum drain valve. The drain valve is located behind the front passenger wheelhouse panel, in front of the dash panel, underneath the battery.
    (1) Modified Plenum Drain Valve
    (2) (a) 34 mm (1 11/32 in/1.32 in)
    (3) (b) 14 mm (9/16 in/0.56 in)
    (4) (c) 10 mm (25/64 in/0.39 in)
    Modify the plenum drain valve.
    Mark the dimensions shown above on each side of the drain valve.
    Cut each side of the drain valve along the marked dimension lines.
    Install the plenum drain valve.
    Lower the vehicle.
  • louisev1louisev1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Deville that has been stalling since it had 28,000 miles. It now has 80,000 miles, has been in the dealership at least 15 times and still no solution. They have tried several things and since I am a woman, and they have not been doing any paperwork on the things they have tried lately, I am not exactly sure what they have tried. The service manager tells me that he talks to cadillac and they say this is not that big of a problem. My dealership has 2 cars that they tell me, mine being one of them, that have this problem. I have called Cadillac many times. I also contacted the NTSB and they are sending me papers to fill out and return. As far as I know there has been no recall on this problem and Cadillac says that I have to leave my car with the dealership until the "intermittent" problem occurs. They also said that the dealership would give me a car to drive and the dealership says they will not.

The dealership wants me to trade the car and I don't want to put the money out to do this. I am also very concerned about the safety of this situation. It appears to stall when coasting to stop or slowing down to make turns. Yesterday it stalled 4 times in driving 28 miles, while slowing for stops. It has stalled 7 times in the last 3 weeks. It is absolutely impossible to anticipate when it will stall, other than it has only occurred while idling, or slowing down.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?? Thanks for any help. Louise
  • petiebirdpetiebird Member Posts: 3
    Although I searched for a TSB regarding a rear latch problem,it was actually A 'Recall'I had heard mentioned on the news cast. I found it mentioned as:NHTSA campaign ID #03V211000.Dealers & customers to be notified during August 2003. http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/results.cfm
    louisev1,
    Sorry, couldn't find any information on your problem. Have they checked for any trouble codes? Have they checked the charging system?

petiebird,
    Need a year and all that to look it up.
    Is there a TSB for a noisy 5th gear after 40 mph (manual transmission ) for a 2003 Cadillac CTS . Thanks again
    Understand that this may or may not be your problem and that this is not a recall and the dealer is not under any obligation to perform this TSB.

Noise, Wind Noise, Flutter at Approximately 40 mph (64 km/h) (Diagnose and Replace Transmission as Required) #02-07-29-006A - (09/10/2002)
    Noise, Wind Noise, Flutter at Approximately 40 mph (64 km/h) (Diagnose and Replace Transmission as Required)
    2003 Cadillac CTS
    Built Prior to VIN Breakpoint 30132407 with 5 Speed Manual Transmission
    This bulletin is being revised to add service procedures and parts and warranty information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-007-29-006 (Section 07--Transmission/Transaxle).

Condition
    Some customers may comment that a fluttering or wind noise is heard while driving in 5th gear above approximately 40 mph (64 km/h). The noise is not present in 4th gear under the same type of driving conditions.

Cause
    When the transmission is in 5th gear, normal engine harmonics cause the 4th gear synchronizer assembly to vibrate, creating the noise.

Diagnosis
    This procedure is not intended to correct other noises that are a characteristic of the M35 transmission (for example: gear whine or neutral gear rattle).

Verify the customer's concern by driving the vehicle at 40-45 mph (64-72 km/h) in 5th gear. When the noise is heard, shift into 4th gear while maintaining vehicle speed. It may take several attempts to hear this noise as it is not a loud noise. You may need the customer to be present. If the noise is no longer present, the concern is the 4th gear synchronizer rattle in 5th gear.

Correction
    Replace the transmission.

Tools Required:
    J 42640 Steering Column Anti-Rotation Pin

Parts Information
    Part Number Description Qty
    12579386 Transmission, Manual 5 Speed 1
    25731281 Gasket 2
    25709703 Seal, Exhaust 1
    25736235 Gasket, Exhaust 1
    Parts are currently available from GMSPO.
    Warranty Information
    For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:
    Labor Operation Description Labor Time
    K2720 Transmission Assembly-Replace 2.9 hrs
  • mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    I went to alldata.com today to check TSB's on my 2000 Olds, Alero, 6cyl and found some interesting ones.
    00-00-90-001 "Suspension - Chassis Lubrication Importance" I found this one interesting because I see no mention of chassis lubrication anywhere in the owners manual.
    01005-22-001 "Brake Pedal - Clunk/Rattle Noise" I do have a faint clunk in my brake pedal. It's not from the brakes but comes from the pedal/firewall area.
    01-03-08-002 "Front Suspension - Rattle Noise Diagnosis"
    01-03-08-003A "Suspension - Front/Rear Squaking Noise" I do have a rattle type of noise on the front drivers side. It sounds like it's the strut and I figured the only solution was to replace it.
    Anyone have any further info on these TSB's
    Thanks,
    Mike
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Info - The Importance of Chassis Lubrication #00-00-90-001 - (10/24/2000)
    The Importance of Chassis Lubrication
    2001 and Prior Passenger Cars and Trucks

An Explanation of Required Lubrication
    It is important to note that many General Motors trucks and sport utility vehicles do not have the "lubed for life" suspension systems that are becoming common on the passenger cars. It is vital to the longevity of the suspension components that proper lubrication be received at the specified intervals. Extra attention should be given to the ball joints to assure they receive regular greasing.

A Visual Inspection is Not Enough
    Many combinations of grease fittings and sealed components may be found on the chassis of General Motors vehicles. The lubrication required for each vehicle can be located in the Maintenance and Lubrication sub-section of General Information in the Service Manual. This section outlines all lubrication required for the vehicle and also provides chassis diagrams of grease points. Please refer to the maintenance schedule for the recommended service intervals.

Info - Front Suspension Clunk/Rattle Noise Diagnosis #01-03-08-002B - (04/10/2003)
    Front Suspension Clunk/Rattle Noise Diagnosis
    1998-2003 Chevrolet Malibu (Built After 10/97)

1998-1999 Oldsmobile Cutlass

1999-2003 Oldsmobile Alero

1999-2003 Pontiac Grand Am

This bulletin is being revised to correct the tightening specification for the lower control arm front bolts. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Numbers 01-03-08-002A and 00-03-08-003 (Section 03 - Suspension).

Important
    The following information has also been updated within SI. If you are using a paper version of the Service Manual, please make a reference to this bulletin on the affected page.

A number of front suspension lower control arms have been returned to the Warranty Parts Center (WPC). Input regarding these parts indicates replacement corrected front suspension related clunk/rattle type noise concerns. Analysis of these returned components indicates that they were manufactured to design intent and should have performed satisfactorily in the vehicle.

It is recommended that when a front lower control arm is suspected to be the cause of a front suspension noise concern, the technician perform the following fastener tightening procedure prior to control arm replacement.

Position the vehicle on a level surface at curb height (supported by the tires).
    Loosen the four lower control arm to front suspension crossmember attaching bolts. Tighten
    Tighten the two lower control arm to suspension crossmember front attaching bolts to 60 N·m (45 lb ft) plus 180° rotation.
    Tighten the two lower control arm to suspension crossmember rear attaching bolts to 100 N·m (74 lb ft) plus 180° rotation.
    Road test vehicle to determine if the noise condition has been corrected.

Important
    If the control arm bushings require replacement, they are available separately and may be serviced without replacing the control arm.

Squawk Noise From Front and/or Rear Suspension (Lubricate Stabilizer Bushings) #01-03-08-003A - (02/05/2002)
    Squawk Noise from Front and/or Rear Suspension (Lubricate Stabilizer Bushings)
    1997-2002 Chevrolet Malibu

1997-1999 Oldsmobile Cutlass

1999-2002 Oldsmobile Alero

1999-2002 Pontiac Grand Am

This bulletin is being revised to include additional graphics and torque specifications. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-03-08-003 (Suspension).

Condition
    Some customers may comment on a squawk noise from the front and/or rear suspension while driving.

Cause
    The noise may be due to a slip/stick condition between the front and/or rear stabilizer bushings.

Correction
    Follow the service procedure below and lubricate the front and/or rear stabilizer bushings with Special Lubricant High Temperature, P/N 12345879 (in Canada, use P/N 10953511).

Service Procedure for Front Suspension
    Raise and support the vehicle allowing the front suspension to hang free. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle (SI2000 Document ID # 632491) in the General Information sub-section of the Service Manual.
    Remove the stabilizer shaft links. Refer to Stabilizer Shaft Link Replacement (SI2000 Document ID # 635842) in the Front Suspension sub-section of the Service Manual.
    Support the rear of the crossmember with an adjustable jack stand.
    Remove the rear bolts from the crossmember.
    Remove the lower control arm rear bolts.
    Lower the rear of the crossmember with the adjustable jack stand.
    Remove the power steering line bracket from the suspension crossmember on the right side of the vehicle.

Remove the bolts from the insulator brackets attaching the stabilizer shaft to the crossmember.
    Remove the stabilizer shaft insulators and lubricate the entire insulator with Special Lubricant, P/N 12345879 (in Canada, use P/N 10953511).
    Install the lubricated insulators back onto the stabilizer shaft.
    Install the insulator brackets and the bolts to the stabilizer shaft.
    Tighten the bolts to 69 N·m(51 lb ft).

Install the power steering line bracket from the suspension crossmember on the right side of the vehicle.
    Raise the rear of the crossmember with the adjustable jack stand.

Important
    Cross member nuts (1) and (6) are captured nuts.

Install the rear lower control arm bolts through the crossmember.
    Tighten the rear lower control arm bolts to 245 Nm (180 lb ft).
    Install the rear crossmember bolts. Tighten
    Tighten the rear cross member bolts to 70 Nm (52 lb ft).
    Lower the vehicle and road test.

Service Procedure for Rear Suspension.
    Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle (SI2000 Document ID # 632491) in the General Information sub-section of the Service Manual.
    Remove the stabilizer shaft insulator brackets and the nuts from the stabilizer shaft.
    Remove the stabilizer shaft insulators and lubricate the entire insulator with Special Lubricant, P/N 12345879 (in Canada, use P/N 10953511).
    Install the lubricated insulators back onto the stabilizer shaft.
    Install the stabilizer shaft insulator brackets to the stabilizer shaft and the nuts. Tighten
    Tighten the stabilizer shaft insulator bracket nuts to 53 N·m(39 lb ft).

Lower the vehicle and road test.
    Parts Information
    Part Number, Description

12345879 (US) Special Lubricant High Temperature
    10953511 (Canada)

• mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    Thank You very much. You missed one:
    "01005-22-001 "Brake Pedal - Clunk/Rattle Noise" I do have a faint clunk in my brake pedal. It's not from the brakes but comes from the pedal/firewall area."
    Thanks,
    Mike
  • candlemaker2candlemaker2 Member Posts: 67
    Re: 2002 Caravan SE. Has anyone heard of a problem with the air bag light going on? I have read about recalls for earlier years on the clock spring but does anyone know of anything for the 2002?
    You posted an invalid TSB #. In any event, after a bit of searching here it is.

Clunk, Rattle Noise from Front of Vehicle (Replace Brake Pedal Assembly) #01-05-22-001 - (01/16/2001)
    Clunk, Rattle Noise from Front of Vehicle (Replace Brake Pedal Assembly)
    1997-2001 Chevrolet Malibu

1997-1999 Oldsmobile Cutlass

1999-2001 Oldsmobile Alero

1999-2001 Pontiac Grand Am

with Automatic Transmission

Built Prior to the following VIN Breakpoints:

Model * VIN Breakpoint * Plant

Chevrolet Malibu * 1M554918 * Lansing
    Chevrolet Malibu * 16180968 * Oklahoma

Oldsmobile Alero/Pontiac Grand Am * 1C158122 * Lansing (C)
    Oldsmobile Alero/Pontiac Grand Am * 1M555395 * Lansing (M)

Condition
    Some customers may comment on a rattle or clunk type noise coming from the underbody or front suspension.

Cause
    The brake pedal pivot pin bushing may cause this condition.

Correction
    Diagnose condition prior to replacing the brake pedal assembly by putting light side pressure on the brake pedal with your foot and applying the brakes. If the noise is no longer present, replace the existing brake pedal assembly with a new assembly, P/N 22672398. If the noise is still present, re-evaluate the condition using diagnostic information in the appropriate Service Manual. Follow the service procedure listed below to replace the brake pedal assembly.

Remove left sound insulator panel.
    Depress the accelerator control cable tangs from the pedal lever assembly.
    Remove the accelerator control cable from the pedal lever assembly.
    Disconnect the brake pedal pushrod from the brake pedal.
    Disconnect the electrical connector from the stop lamp switch.
    Remove the stop lamp switch from the brake pedal bracket by grasping the switch and turning it 90 degrees counter clockwise while pulling toward the rear of the vehicle.
    Disconnect the electrical connector from the cruise release switch.
    Remove the cruise release switch from the brake pedal bracket by grasping the switch and turning it 90 degrees counter clockwise while pulling toward the rear of the vehicle.
    Disconnect the electrical harness from the brake pedal bracket.
    Remove the upper and the lower mounting nuts from the brake pedal assembly.
    Remove the brake pedal assembly.
    Install the brake pedal assembly into position.
    Install the upper and the lower mounting nuts to the brake pedal assembly. Tighten
    Tighten the mounting nuts to 27 N·m (20 lb ft).
    Connect the brake pedal pushrod to the brake pedal.
    Connect the electrical harness to the brake pedal bracket.
    Insert the stop lamp switch and cruise release switch into their containers until the switch body is seated on the retainer.
    Connect the electrical connectors to the stop lamp switch and cruise release switch.

Important
    Adjust the stop lamp switch and cruise release switch at the same time. The adjustment procedures for the switches are identical.

Adjust the stop lamp switch and cruise release switch.
    Pull the brake pedal upward against the internal pedal stop.
    Turn the switch 90 degrees clockwise in order to lock the switch into position.
    Install the accelerator control cable to the pedal lever assembly. Ensure the tangs are fully expanded and seated.
    Slip the accelerator control cable through the slot in the rod of the accelerator pedal and install the retainer in the rod. Ensure the retainer is seated.
    Check for proper operation of stop lamps and cruise control.
    Install the left sound insulator panel.

Parts Information
    Part Number * Description * Qty

22672398 (Automatic Transmission) * Pedal Assembly - Brake * 1

Warranty Information
    For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation * Description * Labor Time

H2640 * Pedal and/or Bushing, Brake - Replace * Use publishedlabor operation time
  • mcvarneymcvarney Member Posts: 8
    Over in the Toyota Echo board several people have mentioned that there is a TSB on the rattling door lock pulls. So far I have not been able to find that TSB. If anyone can provide the number on this one it would be very appreciated. Thanks
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    15. INTERIOR SYSTEMS:INSTRUMENT PANEL:GAUGE:INDICATOR:TEMPERATURE NHTSA
    Number: 618068
    Bulletin Number: 010602001
    Bulletin Date: JAN 2001

Vehicle: 2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue
    Summary:
    SUBJECT REGARDING HIGHER THAN NORMAL TEMPERATURE GAUGE READING OR OVERHEAT CONDITION IN COLD WEATHER. *JB
    ====================
    I have had this condition several times on my 2000 Intrigue. The temp gauge went almost to the max when the temp was below 32F. Very odd. It has never gone above half during the spring/summer/fall. Called my dealer service department today and they didn't seem to interested in telling me what the fix was. He took the number and said he'd look it up "if I get a chance."

Thanks.
    Higher than Normal Temp Gauge Reading/Overheat in Cold Weather #01-06-02-001 - (01/16/2001)

Higher Than Normal Temperature Gauge Reading or Overheat Condition in Cold Weather (Install Enhanced Thermostat)

2001 Oldsmobile Aurora
    1999-2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue

with 3.5 L Engine (VIN H -- RPO LX5)

Condition
    Some customers may comment that their vehicle displays a higher than normal temperature gauge reading or may overheat in cold weather. This will generally occur while idling or driving slowly in traffic during colder weather, usually less than 0°C (32°F), with the heater control set to maximum heat and fan speed. If all published diagnosis from the appropriate applicable service manual has been performed without success then an enhanced thermostat may need to be installed.

Cause
    The engine thermostat may not provide adequate coolant flow.

Correction
    Perform all published diagnostics from the appropriate Service Manual and any repairs that may be indicated. If these have been performed without success, then an enhanced thermostat should be installed. A thermostat with improved coolant flow has been developed for the 3.5 L engine applications listed above. For complete detailed instructions on the proper installation of this thermostat, refer to the appropriate applicable GM Service Manual.

Parts Information
    Part Number * Description * Qty

12570247 * Thermostat - 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora with VIN H, RPO LX5 * 1

12570248 * Thermostat - 1999-2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue with VIN H, RPO LX5 * 1

• lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    You're welcome. Any more GM required, just post them.
    Hi,

Help needed once again. I wonder if it is possible to post the contents of the Chrysler TSB 09-005-02 (oil consumption/oil in coolant) concerning m/y 2002 Dodge Neon? Many thanks for your kind help.
    NUMBER: 09-005-02
    GROUP: Engine
    DATE: Jul. 1, 2002
    SUBJECT:
    Engine Oil In Coolant Reservoir
    OVERVIEW:
    This bulletin involves diagnosing an engine oil consumption/oil in coolant condition.
    MODELS:
    2001 - 2002 (PL) Neon
    NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 2.0L ENGINE.
    SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
    Excessive amount of engine oil in the coolant reservoir, engine oil consumption or low oil pressure light coming on intermittently (due to low oil level) may be caused by a porous cylinder head casting.
    DIAGNOSIS:
    Check the coolant reservoir for the presence of oil on vehicles suspected of high oil consumption/low oil pressure due to low oil level. Excessive oil in the coolant reservoir will look like a thick layer or slurry of oil on top of the coolant. If little or no oil is present in the reservoir, additional engine diagnosis will be required. If excessive oil is present in the reservoir, perform the Repair Procedure.
    PARTS REQUIRED
    Qty. Part number Description
    1 04667993AE Head, Cylinder, ECB-2.0L Engine
    1 04884055AB Head, Cylinder, ECH-2.0L R/T Engine
    1 05014556AD Gasket package, Engine Upper, ECB Engine
    1 05018789AC Gasket package, Engine Upper, ECH Engine
    REPAIR PROCEDURE:
    NOTE: IF THERE IS NOT AN EXCESSIVE AMOUNT OF OIL IN THE COOLANT RESERVOIR DO NOT PERFORM THIS REPAIR.
    1. Replace the cylinder head as describe on page 9-94 of the 2002 Neon Service Manual (Publication No. 81-270-02028).
    2. Flush cooling system as necessary.
  • moonshadowmoonshadow Member Posts: 256
    looking for the specs in this bulletin regarding fastener requirements for front and rear caliper bracket on 2001 intrigue/w bodies dated jun 01/2001. there is also the same# without the "a", perhaps "a" is an ugrade to the original? Hehe a TSB on a TSB. TSBB

Scanned through other post but saw no reference, if i missed it, sorry. Just redirect me.

Appreciate any info.
    Thanks
    SMU - Revised Fastener Requirements for Front and Rear Brake Caliper Bracket Replacement #01-05-23-006A - (05/24/2001)

1997-2001 Buick Century, Regal

1997-2001 Buick Regal (Export China)

1997-2001 Chevrolet Trans Sport (Export China), Venture

2000-2001 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo

1998-2001 Oldsmobile Intrigue

1997-1998 Pontiac Trans Sport

1997-2001 Pontiac Grand Prix

1999-2001 Pontiac Montana

This bulletin is being revised to update the model information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-05-23-006 (Section 05 -- Brakes).

This bulletin is being issued to revise the fastener requirements for the front and rear brake caliper bracket replacement procedures in the Disc-Brake sub-section of Brakes in the appropriate Service Manual. Please use the following to replace the existing information in the Service Manual.

This information has been updated within SI2000. If you are using a paper version of this Service Manual, please mark a reference to this bulletin on the affected page in the Disc-Brake sub-section of the Service Manual.

Front Brake Caliper Bracket Replacement (All Above Listed Vehicles)
    Remove the caliper from the mounting bracket and support the caliper with heavy mechanics wire or equivalent. It is not necessary to disconnect the hydraulic brake flexible hose from the caliper.
    Remove the front brake pads.
    Remove the caliper bracket bolts.
    Remove the caliper bracket.

Important
    To ensure that the proper clamp load will be present when installed, it is imperative that the threads on the caliper bracket bolts, as well as the mounting holes in the knuckle, be cleaned of all debris and inspected before proceeding with installation.

Clean and visually inspect threads of the caliper bracket bolts and mounting holes in the knuckle.
    Apply LOCTITE® THREAD LOCKER 272 (GM P/N 12345493) or equivalent to the threads of the brake caliper bracket bolts.
    Install the caliper bracket with the bracket bolts.
    Tighten the caliper bracket bolts to 180 N·m (133 lb ft).
    Install the front brake pads.
    Install the caliper.

Rear Brake Caliper Bracket Replacement (See Vehicles Listed Below)
    1999-2001 Buick Century, Regal
    1999-2001 Buick Regal (Export China)
    2000-2001 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo
    2000-2001 Chevrolet Trans Sport (Export China)
    1998-2001 Oldsmobile Intrigue
    1997-2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
    Remove the caliper from the mounting bracket and support the caliper with heavy mechanics wire or equivalent. It is not necessary to disconnect the hydraulic brake flexible hose from the caliper.
    Remove the rear brake pads.
    Remove the caliper bracket bolts.
    Remove the caliper bracket.

Important
    To ensure that the proper clamp load will be present when installed, it is imperative that the threads on the caliper bracket bolts, as well as the mounting holes in the knuckle, be cleaned of all debris and inspected before proceeding with installation.

Clean and visually inspect threads of the caliper bracket bolts and mounting holes in the knuckle.
    Apply LOCTITE® THREAD LOCKER 272 (GM P/N 12345493) or equivalent to the threads of the brake caliper bracket bolts.
    Install the caliper bracket with the bracket bolts.
    Tighten the caliper bracket bolts to 115 N·m (85 lb ft).
    Install the rear brake pads.
    Install the caliper.
  • moonshadowmoonshadow Member Posts: 256
    Beautiful, exactly what i needed, very best.

Many thanks.
    Once again, thanks for the info. This board is the greatest as you guys are so helpful.
    You're welcome.
    Thanks for the TSB for my 03 Cadillac CTS manual transmissionissue The dealer did replace the trans . I now have a fuel gauge that instantly dropped to empty from near full and has stayed there even after a fill up , Is there a TSB adressing this issue ? Thanks in advance
    Diagnostic Information for Fuel Gauge Reading Empty After Filling Tank With Vehicle Running, DTC P0461 or P2066 May Be Set #03-08-49-010 - (06/25/2003)
    Diagnostic Information For Fuel Gauge Reading Empty After Filling Tank With Vehicle Running, DTC P0461 or P2066 May Set
    2003 Cadillac CTS

Some vehicles may show the fuel gauge reading Empty directly after a fuel fill-up. This reading may exist if the vehicle is being fueled while running. At the same time, DTC P0461 (Stuck Primary Fuel Level Sender) and P2066 (Stuck Secondary Fuel Level Sensor) may set.

What Action to Take
    Important
    Clear the codes but DO NOT attempt to do any other repairs to the vehicle. There is no corrective action that will eliminate the possibility of this concern except for shutting the vehicle off while refueling. Instruct the customer to always shut the vehicle off before fueling.
    This bulletin is only applicable to vehicles that have both of the above codes present in history. If one or neither are present, refer to the 2003 CTS Service Information for normal diagnostics.

Verify that DTC P0461 and P2066 have both been set. If only one or neither of the those codes are present, refer to normal system diagnostics in the 2003 CTS Service Information. When these two codes are set together, it may be the result of a software anomaly that exists when the vehicle is fueled while running. The fuel gauge will operate normally on the next key cycle, but the codes will shift to history. Under this situation, reset the codes using the Diagnostic Scan Tool and verify proper operation of the fuel gauge. DO NOT attempt any further repairs on the fuel system. There are no possible repairs that will change the possibility of this concern reoccurring. Instruct the customer not to fuel the vehicle with it running to avoid this concern in the future. You may provide a copy of this bulletin to the customer along with your instructions.
  • mike372mike372 Member Posts: 354
    I am an owner of a 2002 Intrepid SE with the 2.7 litr engine. There seems to be some discussion concerning problems with this engine. I would appreciate it if you would post any TSB's on the 2.7 L engine issued in the past few years. Thanks.
  • Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    I was referred to you by the Sedan Host.. I'm looking for information--TSBs--on door seals/weather stripping in the current generation of Dodge Intrepid (mine is a 2000 ES). Your assistance would be invaluable..
    mike372,
    Need the 8th digit of the VIN number. It will either be an R, U or V.
    And need specific symptoms you are looking for.

Jason5,
    The only TSB I found for anything relating to weather stripping was this one.
    Body Mounted Door Opening Weatherstrip - Loose
    NUMBER: 23-20-00
    GROUP: Body
    DATE: May, 12, 2000
    SUBJECT:
    Body Mounted Door Opening Weatherstrip Loose
    OVERVIEW:
    This bulletin involves installing clips to secure weatherstrips to the pinch flange.
    MODELS:
    1998 - 2000 (LH) Concorde/Intrepid/LHS/3OOM
    SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
    Body mounted weatherstrip (primary weatherstrip) is loose or pulls away easily from the pinch flange.
    DIAGNOSIS:
    Inspect weatherstrip where it has pulled away from the pinch flange for damage. If weatherstrip is damaged, replace it. If the weatherstrip is OK, perform the Repair Procedure.
    PARTS REQUIRED:
    1 05019585M Clip, Weatherstrip
    REPAIR PROCEDURE:
    THIS REPAIR IS COMPATIBLE WITH DAIMLERCHRYSLER'S MOBILE SERVICE PROGRAM AND DOES NOT REQUIRE HOISTS OR OTHER FULL SERVICE FACILITY SPECIAL EQUIPMENT.
    1. Install clip, p/n 05019585AA, on the pinch flange in area where weatherstrip is loose. One clip in the center of the pulled away area should be enough.
    2. Install the weatherstrip over the clips and pinch flange.
    NOTE: WEATHERSTRIPS CAN BE INSTALLED WITHOUT REMOVING TRIM PANELS.
    3. Repeat procedure on all loose primary weatherstrips as necessary.
    POLICY: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
    The eighth digit is a 'R'. There seems to be quite a few complaints about sludge buildup leading to overheating and engine failure with the 2.7 L engine. I am just trying to determine if there is any validity to these complaints expressed on various sites ie. Intrepid.clan-510.
    I checked Chrysler's information system and Alldata and came up empty for anything on sludge, overheating or engine failure.
    Only one TSB is for an overheating concern and it has to do with after a service has been performed on the cooling system.
    Thanks. Mike.
  • nickpernickper Member Posts: 28
    Can you please post the following two TSBs. Both relate to the Olds Intrigue. Thank you.

01-07-30-030 OCT 01

01-06-03-001A APR 02
    Info - Diagnostic Information on Harsh 1-2 Upshift #01-07-30-030 - (10/09/2001)
    Diagnostic Information on Harsh 1-2 Upshift
    2001-2002 Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks

with 4L60-E or 4L65-E Automatic Transmission

Recently, a product improvement analysis study was undertaken to determine the causes of harsh 1-2 shift concerns in 2001 model year 4L60-E automatic transmissions.

The product improvement analysis study was completed on transmissions which met the following criteria:

Transmissions with a consistent harsh 1-2 shift were obtained from vehicles in service.
    These transmissions had a consistent harsh 1-2 shift, not an intermittent condition.
    The transmissions had 19,000 km (12,000 mi) or less.
    The consistent harsh 1-2 shift condition was verified during a test drive by dealership personnel, before the transmission was removed.
    The transmissions were disassembled and carefully inspected to identify causes of the harsh 1-2 shift.
    The study pointed out that the following four conditions were found to cause the majority of harsh 1-2 shift comments.

Chips/Sediment/Debris/Contamination found in the valve body, 1-2 accumulator valve (371) bore, may cause the 1-2 accumulator valve to stick or hang-up.

Chips/Sediment/Debris/Contamination found in the valve body, 4-3 sequence valve (383) bore, may cause the 4-3 sequence valve to stick or hang-up.

A cracked 1-2 accumulator piston (56) that is allowing fluid to leak by.

Mislocated/Missing valve body-to-spacer plate check balls (61).

When attempting to correct a consistent harsh 1-2 shift, the four conditions listed above should be inspected as possible causes. It is important to also refer to the appropriate Service Manual for further possible causes of this condition.

Slipping or Rough 1-2 Shift Checks - Causes

Valve Body Assembly:
    - Mislocated valve body to spacer plate checkball or checkballs.
    - 1-2 Shift valve train stuck due to sediment
    - Gaskets or spacer plate incorrect, mispositioned or damaged
    - 1-2 Accumulator valve stuck or damaged
    - Face not flat
    - 4-3 sequence valve stuck or damaged
    - #1 or #8 checkball missing or mis-located
    - 1-2 accumulator valve bushing rotated 180°

2-4 Servo Assembly:
    - Apply pin too long or too short
    - 2nd servo apply piston seal missing, cut or damaged
    - Restricted or missing oil passages
    - Servo bore in case damaged

2nd Accumulator:
    - A cracked 1-2 accumulator piston - allowing fluid to leak by
    - Porosity in 1-2 accumulator cover or piston
    Piston seal or groove damaged
    - Nicks or burrs in 1-2 accumulator housing
    - Missing or restricted oil passage
    - 1-2 accumulator piston spring not seated
    - Rough finish in 1-2 accumulator bore in case

2-4 Band:
    - Worn or mispositioned

Oil Pump Assembly or Case:
    - Faces not flat

The diagnostic table shown above is newly revised. This diagnostic table should be used when addressing a harsh 1-2 shift concern. The revised document, ID # 10224, will be found in the next update to the SI2000 database.