Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Performance Tested - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited December 2014 in Volkswagen

imagePerformance Tested - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

We're past the break-in period for our new 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI, and that meant one thing: sending it to our test track to get performance data.

Read the full story here

Comments

• g35bufg35buf Member Posts: 89
    Shows you how the Germans underrate the HP and torque numbers. Obviously, the ST had a been advantage vs the Mk 6 on paper but was still only slightly quicker. Fast forward to the newer 2.0T in the Mark 7 and the ST is toast - even with a supposed 240 HP to 210 HP advantage...Driving my son's 2011 GTI Mark 6 Autobahn this week while he is out of town and it reminds me of why the GTI has legitimate street cred regardless of price. The best all around FWD series of performance cars ever,..
  • yellowbalyellowbal Member Posts: 234
    @g35buf The difference is probably the difference between DSG and a 6-speed manual.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    @yellowbal: but still, 0-75 mph, 1.1 seconds faster...and they're still in third gear so that's only 2 shifts. The DSG is fast, but it's picking up 2 tenths via launch control and another 2 or 3 tenths per shift - that's it. The rest is horsepower.

210 hp? Yeah - sure it is...I'm sure they will dyno it.

@g35buf: the ST is actually rated at 252. My own 2011 Autobahn made 204/224 at the wheels stock, and with $850 worth of tune and intake now makes 232/270 on 93 octane. Like 260/305 at the crank.

Supposedly, the new ones with that same level tune (stage I) are making 290/365 on 93 AT THE WHEELS. That's just insane.

Good chassis performance like this makes it tough to rationalize the trade-offs in everyday practicality you would face in choosing one of the few RWD performance cars available at this price point, rather than a GTI.
  • bellyflopbellyflop Member Posts: 2
    2 Questions

- If I remember correctly your current GTI does not have the performance pack, correct? It would be interesting to compare numbers when you get your hands on a GTI with the limited slip dif.

- I own a 2013 Mk7 with the DSG (would have got the manual except my wife has just not been able to grasp the concept). The non-intuitive console mounted shift is an issue. Is there an actual connection to the transmission or is the shift software generated? If so couldn't it be hacked to reverse the action?
  • 2015gti2015gti Member Posts: 1
    I owned a 2014 Focus ST and traded it in for a 2015 GTI S (DSG) and it's not really fair to compare the two. The ST is a loud, obnoxious teenager that texts while driving 100 mph. The GTI is a refined, gorgeous German exchange student with a closet speed fetish. In terms of performance, the GTI is a better vehicle in almost every measurable way, and yes the GTI is quicker. But hey, I'm biased since I've owned both.