Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test - Introduction

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited December 2014 in Ford

image2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test - Introduction

Does a new independent rear suspension finally make the 2015 Ford Mustang GT a world class-sports car?

Read the full story here

Comments

• banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    edited December 2014
    First question: Does it feel like a $45k car? Would you buy this configuration with your own money vs a Cadillac ATS coupe or a 4 series? I would stick to a GT with the premium package for $36k. I don't feel it's worth $45k no matter how many gizmos it has. What do you think?
  • mcesareymcesarey Member Posts: 11
    I have a '13 GT/CS, and mine is optioned-out as well. For me, it depends on what you use the car for. My car is my everyday driver, so I don't regret at all getting all the gizmos. It's different if its your weekend toy and occasional track day car. Will it feel like a $45K car? Probably for the duration that Edmunds is testing it. I've had mine for 2.5 yrs and it's starting to get little rattles here and there.
  • rotaryboffrotaryboff Member Posts: 12
    I think you guys blew it by ordering the Recaros...bye-bye heated and cooled seats and memory function. Yo
  • rotaryboffrotaryboff Member Posts: 12
    u even lose the seatback memory function that Ford finally added this year. BTW I pick up my own 2015 GT this week (red, performance package, 6MT, 401a).
  • s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    the gt is the easy choice. everyone is testing that one. the ecoboost would have been more interesting for us, the reaers, i think, if slightly less fun for you guys.

but with gas prices down for the next year or three; maybe the gt is the most relevant...
  • s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    i have no love for that wheel design. i hate them actually. i didn't much care for the prior brembo/track pack wheels either. bleh!
  • subatomicsubatomic Member Posts: 140
    The final price of $45,490 is a bit high for a Mustang. I can understand selecting the Premium Package which includes a "reasonable" assortment of luxury features and trim. I agree with the selection of the Performance Package because the Mustang might not be a precise, sharp handling car without it, thus making it mandatory for enthusiasts. The Recaro Seats, though expensive make perfect sense when paired with the Performance Package. Almost everything else seems unnecessary. Adaptive cruise control, collision warning, and rear parking sensors in particular add nothing to the performance and handling of the car (though I agree with getting the Security Package). Part of the Mustang's appeal has always been value - performance and features at a price that undercuts more expensive performance cars. The value aspect begins to diminish as the price exceeds and travels beyond $40,000. Also I will say this - when you drive a sports car, you are making a statement that you enjoy driving and possess driving skills superior to the average driver, or at least aspire to do so. In this regard, driving assists such as adaptive cruise control seem out of place on this car (thankfully no lane keeping assist!).

With all of this said, I look forward to reading subsequent log entries and driver evaluations of this wonderful car.
  • gtrguy2012gtrguy2012 Member Posts: 14
    LOL

45K Rustang.
  • ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    I'm not entirely sure how Adaptive Cruise works with a manual transmission. Seems like something better-suited to automatics. Ought to be interesting.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Ah, there we go! If I saw one more German car on your fleet, I was going to lose it. I look forward to seeing how this Mustang holds up over time and what the impressions are.
  • grijongrijon Member Posts: 147
    @subatomic, I think you've expressed my feelings/thoughts on this *perfectly*.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    edited December 2014
    I would like to cite the FR-S/BRZ precedent and request that you obtain an EB Mustang also. You already know how awesome the Coyote V8 is, I want to know how the EB engine works as an alternative over the long run, how does the lighter front end impact handling vs the GT,are the standard heated/cooled seats fine for nomal driving and the now and then canyon blitz, and can you catually get decent gas mileage in normal (non hypermiling) driving? Come on ladies and gentlemen, just ask Ford to lend you one and let the competition begin.
  • yellowbalyellowbal Member Posts: 234
    Also get the GT350 with the flat plane V8 whenever they release it.
  • rjpkellyrjpkelly Member Posts: 1
    The only feature I want from the $4K package of amenities is the Adjustable Driving Modes. All else I would be happy to live without. I am sure it is good business by Ford, but to me it is an unacceptable scam. Ambient lighting, you gotta be kidding me! Like my father would say about Landau roofs--"How much extra does it cost to get rid of that unsightly thing"?

Very disappointing, and probably enough to make we wait to see what the 2016 Camaro looks like, or look at a 1 year old Mustang in 2016. I have gone from desperately wanting to send $36K to Ford to hoping I can find a away to send $0 to Ford.
  • wheelmccoywheelmccoy Member Posts: 97
    Yes, a manual!!

And while you may have appeared to pile on contradictory options -- performance (Recaro Seats) vs convenience (adaptive cruise control) -- they will give you much more to explore and write about.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    Got to agree with the others about the choice of available engines. The biggest news and the most controversial aspect of the new Stang is the Ecoboost 4 cylinder engine. I, like most others here, am very aware of how good the 5.0 engine is but really want to know how the turbo 4 performs in the Mustang. This is like getting the all new F-150 with the 5.0 V8 instead of the new 2.7 Ecoboost V6. SMH
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,293
    Like some others, I would have preferred you getting the Ecoboost 4. The 5.0 seems kind of been there, did that, have the tee shirt. Having owned a Mustang GT for 23 years, I'll still be interested in reading.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • rat73rat73 Member Posts: 6
    banhugh said:

First question: Does it feel like a $45k car? Would you buy this configuration with your own money vs a Cadillac ATS coupe or a 4 series? I would stick to a GT with the premium package for $36k. I don't feel it's worth $45k no matter how many gizmos it has. What do you think?

I tend to agree and would have easily figured out an option set that keeps the cost in the mid-$30s. However, let's be real - $45k is not going to get much of a 4 series and certainly not one that is on performance par with this car. A 435 starts at $46k, and finding one of those would be like finding one of those $29k CLAs. Option that car like this Mustang and $60k is going to be what you would spend. So, the real question is would you rather have a 4 series OR this car AND a boat - or motorcycle - or a Fiesta - or trip to Hawaii for a month...you get the picture.
  • themandarinthemandarin Member Posts: 436
    "All 2015 Mustangs have dual outboard exhaust pipes" As opposed to those popular dual inboard exhaust pipes
  • yellowmiatayellowmiata Member Posts: 23
    +1 on "shoulda got the ecoboost 4-banger" I guess it'll make your writers and editors work that much harder to differentiate between you and the other online mags. Whichever site tests the ecoboost will get more of my clicks. Next time, get all the gizmos so you can test 'em but also get the newest gizmo (the new engine...)!
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021

"All 2015 Mustangs have dual outboard exhaust pipes" As opposed to those popular dual inboard exhaust pipes

As opposed to the silly center exiting, burn your leg when you open the trunk exhausts on the Covertte and Mini Copper S among others.
  • metalmaniametalmania Member Posts: 167
    So now a loaded up Mustang is $45k. It's not the bang for the buck performance value it used to be anymore. I guess hardly anything is, really. For that kind of money, there are a number of really good cars available - I'm not sure I'd still go with a Mustang at that price point. I'd probably stick with just the base or premium GT (or a couple year old Corvette), but early reviews haven't exactly been great regarding the car's handling without upgrades. It'll probably be a very enjoyable car and perform its intended mission admirably, but it lives in another segment of the market now. Personally, I don't like black wheels. Never have. And the turbo 4 is interesting from a technical standpoint, and might actually be great to drive, but to me a Mustang just isn't a Mustang without a V8. Even if the 4cyl performed better, I'd still have to hear that V8 rumble and roar.
  • expensivehobbyexpensivehobby Member Posts: 91
    I can only assume they got the $45 K to report on all the various options and how they work on the car. I'm not assuming that this is how they would necessarily buy it. Just because they bought a GT doesn't mean they couldn't also buy an Ecoboost. Edmunds has bought "variations on a theme" cars before, like the Passats.
  • tabbcrewtabbcrew Member Posts: 1
    I bought the '15 GT with Performance pkg specd just like this article says for $41k. For me, it is just a collector car/drive a few times a month here and there. Having owned several stangs over the years, once I saw this one I had to have it and all the toys it came with. Let me tell you, it is worth every penny.