Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Another Family Road Trip - 2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited December 2014 in Nissan
imageAnother Family Road Trip - 2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Long-Term Road Test

A few weeks ago, I used our 2014 Nissan Rogue to shuttle my family about 800 miles round trip for the Thanksgiving holiday. It was very similar to the road trip I did in the Rogue back in April.

I've got a few more thoughts to add based on my most recent trip.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    "Requisite comment about overloading vehicle".

Now that we've got that out of the way, I wonder why the Rogue is so low on MPG (relative to EPA ratings)? 71 drivers on Fuelly are averaging 25.3 MPG.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    edited December 2014
    ebeaudoin said:

"Requisite comment about overloading vehicle".

Now that we've got that out of the way, I wonder why the Rogue is so low on MPG (relative to EPA ratings)? 71 drivers on Fuelly are averaging 25.3 MPG.

I always fall back on "your mileage may vary" as a truism. Perhaps it's that the Rogue's styling or feel tends to make its drivers drive a certain way. Sort of like a friend who had a Mini as was complaining about his mileage performance, but raving about the sporty feel and how the car zipped around corners B)

• Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    Drive it 800 miles with just the driver, no luggage, and never exceed 65mph and see where you end up. I bet it is right around the EPA number.
  • Options
    g35bufg35buf Member Posts: 89
    So if I put up with the CVT, I get excellent mileage? No...wait...Unacceptable IMO...I've brought it up before but you get better with a CX-5 with a REAL tranny and almost that (from personal numbers) with a VW Tiguan WITH a turbo and nearly V6 power...Sorry, bad trade off with the Rouge...
  • Options
    misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    Yeah, the 2.5 in the Rogue is a carryover engine that is not tuned for economy (regardless of what Nissan marketing may say). It is, however, a torquey engine that actually makes driving a CUV a bit of fun.
  • Options
    g35bufg35buf Member Posts: 89
    Despite my VW TURBO reference above, I must say I was suprised at the torque in the Kia 2.4 GDI engine in my daughters 2014 Kia Sportage EX. Hooked to a proper 6 speed AT of course...and gets the same mileage or better than the Rogue with CVT. Nissan saves BIG production costs by rehashing their 2.5 lump, however...
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    Nissan's CVT may have problems and detractors but it does deliver on fuel economy. The Rogue is heavily loaded, and cruising at 70+ mph so the average mpgs they got is pretty good. The 2.5 engine is old but it gets the job done. When it was introduced it was one of the most powerful 4 cylinder engines in it's class. It debuted in the 2002 Altima and made 170 HP and not until recently have their competitors caught up with them. The plus is that its now proven and reliable after working out oil consumption problems in the early models. Nissan like other Japanese manufacturers don't introduce new engines very often. How long has Toyota used the 2.5 engine in the Camry?

@g35buf, the Hyundai/Kia 2.4 engine and 6 speed auto transmission is really good. My girlfriend has this power train in her Sonata and it actually feels more powerful with almost 35,000 miles on it than when it was new and is proving to be very reliable. The transmission in particular is extremely smooth and when Eco Mode is turned off it's very responsive with down shifts and holding lower gears for power.
  • Options
    carolinabobcarolinabob Member Posts: 576
    Always amused when people fully load a vehicle, grossly exceed the speed limits and so forth and then wonder why they do not get perfect fuel economy.