Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Misaligned Trunk Lid - 2005 Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited December 2014 in Mercedes-Benz
imageMisaligned Trunk Lid - 2005 Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG Long-Term Road Test

Our long-term 2005 Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG is starting to show its age in a few places, one of which is its misaligned trunk lid.

Read the full story here

Comments

• mecksermeckser Member Posts: 18
    You can see in the opening video that its not working properly, one side seems to lag behind the other.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    The perils of complicating a simple process with hydraulics ;)
  • mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    I can't believe you guys have owned this car for a year and not spent $50 to replace your trunk struts. That would solve ALL of your issues relating to the trunk and prevent more extensive damage. Sometimes I think Edmunds is full of people who know absolutely nothing about cars.

I can't believe you guys have owned this car for a year and not spent $50 to replace your trunk struts. That would solve ALL of your issues relating to the trunk and prevent more extensive damage. Sometimes I think Edmunds is full of people who know absolutely nothing about cars.

Would an average owner, and not an "enthusiast" have replaced the struts in a nine year old vehicle and avoided the issue? I'm thinking no, but I can see both sides. The "here's what happens if you don't" vs the "if you do this, you can prevent a future THAT".

• bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    This has been the least interesting long term used car I can remember. Even the 100k mile Lexus was more interesting. This car cannot leave the fleet fast enough.
    What would a long term test "interesting"?
    @PF_Flyer,

An average owner would most certainly have replaced the struts. They would have gone to the dealer and complained that the trunk suddenly started closing really hard and fast. The dealer would have looked at the issue and recommended that the struts be replaced. Voila, the issue would be fixed.
    @bankerdanny,

That is really more to do with Edmunds than the car. This clearly wasn't the type of vehicle that anyone on staff really wanted. They thought they were buying a flashy V12 monster. What they really bought was a classy old-school luxury car with subtle performance and a design mission to fly under the radar. I think most people on Edmunds' staff aren't really car people anymore. They wanted this car to be something it wasn't and when it didn't measure up they just stopped driving it, rather than appreciating it for what it really is: a fine luxury automobile.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    PF_Flyer said:

What would a long term test "interesting"?

Well, I think Mercedesfan has it partially right, the Edmunds staff clearly likes the car, but nobody is passionate about it, so the posts are mostly pedestrian.

The 911 was interesting because people loved driving it and so wrote interesting things about it.

The Lexus ES300 experiment was interesting because it is the sort of thing I would actually do myself.

The Miata WAS interesting, until they started writing about it once a year, at which point it became not worth the effort to keep up or give a crap.

The Ferrari 308 was interesting because it's an "affordable" Ferrari and so I enjoyed reading about what they went through to keep it going.

The NSX was mostly interesting. Again that was because the staff was engaged and actively wanted to drive it. So they made an effort to use it and write about more than things like misaligned deck lids and how it was ignored at a meeting of tuner cars and high buck Italian exotics.
  • misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    @Mercedesfan, an actual owner may very well have thought to replace the struts -- but is there ANY way such a procedure would have cost only $50?
    @misterfusion,

Only if they bought the struts themselves from an online retailer. Getting that done at the dealer would most certainly have cost a few hundred dollars.
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    How dare you suggest that edmunds.com does not have people interested in cars?

To whit:

http://www.edmunds.com/nissan/rogue/2014/long-term-road-test/2014-nissan-rogue-sunroof-warmth.html
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    I remember mercedesfan and several other people warning Edmunds to replace those struts or face collateral damage with the mechanism a long, long time ago.

Now you have one of their staffers noticing the erratic trunk-closing performance, and he's going, "wow - wonder what that is..."

There are some car people there and some not...what I see is their fleet manager just never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity on catching stuff like this...especially stuff that commenters clue them in on.
  • tlangnesstlangness Member Posts: 123
    Thanks for the feedback folks. This is the first I've heard of the struts being the culprit (maybe I missed it before), but if this issue pops up again I'll be sure to take a trip to the auto parts store and bust out the wrenches. For now, the issue seems to have resolved itself so we'll keep our fingers crossed that it stays that way.
  • chol92594chol92594 Member Posts: 208
    I've found that there are two schools of thought for most people when it comes to automotive maintenance. A) Perform diligent preventative maintenance to lessen the chances of a severe problem down the road, since such issues would probably be more of a financial burden. B) Do nothing outside of the bare minimum of oil changes, tire rotations, etc. and wait until something important goes wrong that will force you to put a decent amount of money into the car.

I can understand not fixing most small problems if you've got a beater that's a high-mileage daily driver, but in most cases, it's better to fix things when they go wrong and do the maintenance to prevent things from breaking in the first place.

I'd imagine that someone who buys a car like this in new or lightly-used condition will have the finances (and hopefully the motivation) to keep it in great shape. That being said, considering the age of the car, I don't think it's completely unreasonable that Edmunds hasn't fixed the struts yet, since it's mostly a functional annoyance. However, if the hard closing can wear out the latch mechanism and lead to more expensive repairs, it would definitely make sense to get it fixed relatively soon.

By the way, is there no way to disable the power function and manually open and close the trunk? I would think that would be the better option until the struts are fixed and the trunk can close properly.