Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 Acura MDX vs. 2014 Infiniti QX60 vs. 2013 Lexus RX 350 F Sport Comparison Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited December 2014 in General
image2014 Acura MDX vs. 2014 Infiniti QX60 vs. 2013 Lexus RX 350 F Sport Comparison Test

Which midsize crossover offers the best mix of sport, luxury and utility? See our comparison test of the Acura MDX, Infiniti QX60 and Lexus RX 350.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    dfelix70dfelix70 Member Posts: 143
    Good for Acura with this MDX.
  • Options
    olzigolzig Member Posts: 1
    This seems like an odd trio to test. The Lexus is a sport package without no third row...The Infiniti is a (well appointed) mini van on stilts. Perhaps lining the 'F' Sport Lexus up against an RDX and a FX37(QX70) would be a more accurate test of rivals?
  • Options
    @olzig. Based on price, this is an appropriate comparison. So, a buyer would have to debate if they want a fun driving SUV, an SUV with a 3rd row, etc. The Lexus F Sport would cost $10k+ more than a fully equipped RDX, despite similar size, similar eng
  • Options
    aston_dbsaston_dbs Member Posts: 19
    Up to this day, I still fail to see the 'luxuriousness' of Lexus interior (RX is the worst offender, IMHO)?
    Even the LS/GS/LX/GX fail to 'wow' me...

Among the 3 Japanese, I like Infiniti's interior much better.
    But as I deem drive-ability the most important, if I were to choose, I'd take the MDX any day.
  • Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    The quality of a Lexus interior has to be felt, something you cannot do with photos. I agree that Infiniti interiors look great.
  • Options
    aston_dbsaston_dbs Member Posts: 19
    Perhaps it's just a matter of preference... but everytime I sit in any of the Lexus vehicles... it just doesn't 'welcome' me (RX's curvy center stack is especially driving me insane ;-)
    On a related note: I can spend all day with Audi's interiors.
  • Options
    bizzle1bizzle1 Member Posts: 0
    Lexus sucks... Plain and simple. No one buys Lexus outside of the U.S. for a reason. They know it's just a overpriced Toyota POS. I have an EXTREMELY hard time understanding why people buy Lexus in the U.S. Here is the reality. Lexus has ZERO heritage. Lexus has ZERO prestige. And, Lexus has ZERO status. Heritage? What heritage?? Lexus was introduced in the U.S. just recently in 1989. Prestige? Lexus doesn't even know the meaning of that word. And lastly we come to status. Lexus absolutely has NO status whatsoever. Just because some Hollyweird star bought one doesn't mean ANYTHING. The one's who buy them are clueless about cars. That's why they bought them... The owners are too stupid to. They actually think they are impressing people by riding around in their camry based buckets. No one is impressed with your stupid lexus. NO ONE... #NewsFlash
  • Options
    lilredcorvtlilredcorvt Member Posts: 21
    I wouldn't buy any of this....Volvo XC60 blows away all these 'trio'!
  • Options
    mmartelmmartel Member Posts: 3
    As an owner of a 2013 JX, I think this is a solid and fair comparo. The Infiniti JX and the Acura MDX are both excellent 7-passenger SUVs that offer just enough differences in terms of character strengths to be a bit better suited to different types of buyers. That's a win for consumers and the brands.
  • Options
    ne1butu2ne1butu2 Member Posts: 21
    Strange trio. It's clearly a test of the three SUV underachievers. This is like a potato sack race held for the neighborhood kids who all live under power lines.
  • Options
    @ne1butu2, and how exactly are they underachievers? The Lexus is the clear sales leader in the class and the MDX has bested some of the supposed-best SUVs in this class, including the X5 and ML, at one point or another.
  • Options
    hercules00hercules00 Member Posts: 134
    These are rooms on wheels. Who in their right mind would want to drive them fast around corners or drag race? That is like trying to test whether the the Yaris or the Fit can tow a bigger boat.
  • Options
    carfan89carfan89 Member Posts: 0
    Disappointed by Acura MDX. Poor brakes make for scary driving.
  • Options
    gra_jrgra_jr Member Posts: 1
    The SH-AWD MDX is the best all around Mid Sized Luxury SUV on the market. It does it all. Hauls people. Hauls cargo. When you feel sporty.... Use the IDS in sport mode then there ya go! Tried Infinity and Lexus before making the decision and ACURA won hands down. Resale value will prove to tops once again with this MDX. Assembled in ALABAMA. Hmmm. This Japanese car is more American than my GMC Sierra that was assembled in MEXICO!
  • Options
    dmclone1dmclone1 Member Posts: 17
    Wow these vehicles are getting expensive. If I'm spending $60k on a vehicle it sure isn't going to be a glorified minivan. For less money I could buy a Lexus GS350 F sport, Infiniti M, Mercedes E class, etc.
  • Options
    jps429jps429 Member Posts: 8
    This article is old news... yawn

Published: 08/19/2013
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    I wonder if the Lexus would have been 2nd if you had skipped the pointless "F Sport" package. Nobody buys an RX for a 'sporty' ride. If I want a 'sporty' SUV I am buying a Mazda, or if I can afford it, a BMW. While I think the QX60's 0-60 time is fine for a largish SUV, I can't help but wonder if the gas mileage would actually be better if the engine were more powerful and thus didn't have to work so hard hauling its bulk around.
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    @dmclone: and then you would own a sedan and not an SUV. That's like saying for the cost of this airplane I could buy this yacht. Just because both carry passengers doesn't mean that they are equivalent.
  • Options
    marcos9marcos9 Member Posts: 96
    Unless you need three row seating, wagon > SUV. Period. Get a mid-sized wagon and you'll be better off in overall driving dynamics, gas mileage, and in many cases, cargo capacity compared to an SUV.
  • Options
    danoh2danoh2 Member Posts: 1
    Compare these old dogs to an Audi or BMW and not one of these would place 3rd
  • Options
    tacomamudpittacomamudpit Member Posts: 65
    Wow - I'm not a total prude and I'm not poor, but all these rides as optioned for the review push 'close too' or over $60,000 dollars w/tax and other OTD fee's. Just say'in.....and you won't find an "un-loaded" version on dealer lots - they order them loaded or they won't sell and that = $$$
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    I would have liked to see say a Buick Enclave and since there is no Lincoln big CUV, a high end Explorer included in this test.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    500rwhp500rwhp Member Posts: 99
    Where is the Buick Enclave? It is priced in this mix, and is a CUV. I've driven all these, and it stacks up fairly, particularly when space is a concern. The MDX is really too small for a 3 row SUV carrying full sized people, whereas the Buick handles this with ease. Maybe "luxury" doesn't allow adults in the back row?
  • Options
    loopsdooploopsdoop Member Posts: 2
    the lexus is pointless, its no better than the acura RDX forget about the MDX. and the RDX around 40K with all the trimmings. and a sporty ride for the RX is really odd, who needs a firm/sporty ride on this car where it is expected to be super smooth. Get an x3/x5 if you need sporty
  • Options
    scompx1scompx1 Member Posts: 1
    I like the Infiniti more...
  • Options
    sviseksvisek Member Posts: 35
    You've got to love auto enthusiast writers. They are so predictable. In a comparison test, they will invariably pick the vehicle that is closest to being a sports car, rather than the one that best fulfills the desires of the buying public. When I want to drive a sports car, I go out to my garage and do so. But when I'm looking to transport my family and our stuff in comfort and safety, I pick a different vehicle. I've driven and compared these vehicles(though the RX was not the "F Sport" version) and though all good vehicle, for meeting real world needs and wants the Infiniti came out on top, followed by the Lexus, with the Acura last. A respectable third, but still last. Please writers, start judging vehicles on how well they accomplish their intended function, not on which one is sportiest. Just as you wouldn't determine the winner of an exotic sports car comparison based on which one had the most cargo room, try to put yourselves in the shoes of the customer. After all they are your customers too.
  • Options
    suitespotsuitespot Member Posts: 6
    I had the 2014 MDX Tech (my third) and the engine vibration and noise was intolerable. Other problems with HVAC controls, left rear wheel rattle, phonebook that would not load, fit/finish that was not the same quality level as when Canadian built and a back end that did not feel "connected" to the road. The interior cabin was great and the mpg was fabulous (got 29+mpg on a 1000 mile trip - used cruise a lot).

The dealer was great to work with, but Acura's response was more than disappointing. First it was, "these things are normal for this vehicle" and "no fixes available." My emails to Acura were replied to by auto-reply. Then an Acura Customer Relations rep called and offered to look into the problems, with "no promises." Well, he didn't call back within a week, so, I moved on to a SUV that actually delivers on the term "luxury."

Leased a 2015 RX350 FSport and the differences are remarkable. Fit/finish is impeccable, cabin is very quiet, drive is smooth and tight. And, my lease payment went down, even though the sticker price was $5k+ more than the MDX.

Made the mistake of assuming that Acura would want to keep me as a customer after leasing three MDXs and buying two Hondas (CRV and Pilot). Big mistake! I think the other mistake is classifying the MDX as a "luxury" SUV!