Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793

Ah, yes, --autonomous cars---one more instance of the Iron Fist of Technology squeezing the juice out of the sweet plum of life.

(I thought that was rather good, actually, if a bit overwrought) :)

Indeed!

In my attempt to be a realist, I am going to surmise that we're about five years out from rollout of self-driving modes on *some* car models in some instances. Most likely relegation of these early roll-outs will be in luxury lines. In twenty years, self-driving modes will be widespread to the point that human driving will account for the minority of driving miles. Forty years (TOPS), human driving BANNED in this country except on controlled courses.

Damn; I just depressed myself big time.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well maybe we'll have jet packs or hover boards.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,162
    Hopefully self-driving cars for police, too - will save us money.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Nah, they'll just push a button and all the autonomous cars in a two mile radius will ease over to the shoulder and idle there until the cops blaze through.
    edited December 2014
    Scary thought, as the authorities have proven themselves to be very accountable and responsible. Orwell is smiling - expect Limeyland to adopt this first.

Winners today - beaky Acura TL proudly displaying its "SH" badges, merging onto a fairly wide open highway, hit a whopping 38mph or so at the end of the ramp, before finally picking up the pace. I don't know what it is with the Bellevue-Seattle area and slow merging. Then was driving down an open 35mph 4 lane artertial, speeding along at maybe 36 - old Cherokee with a passenger mirror hanging from a thread, towing a junk hauling trailer, pulls up from a side street, makes a "free" turn in front of me, and straddles the lane divider. I come up behind him and flash, he moves left (of course), going about 20, I pass on the right, as I was going by I thought I saw him throw up his hands like I was being crazy. Freedom.
    edited December 2014
    Yes, it was parked like this:

Turn signals were scarce today, as usual. I don't recall seeing any enforcement. Must be out ensuring safety otherwise.

• slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694
    fintail said:

Yes, it was parked like this:

Turn signals were scarce today, as usual. I don't recall seeing any enforcement. Must be out ensuring safety otherwise.

Gee, that'd be a shame if someone hit it with a shopping cart...

B)
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Fintail and I live nearby so I'll say this happened on W. Lake Samm Pky. which has one lane going each way and a narrow bicycle lane on one side.

Three guys on bicycles riding abreast as they love to do so one guy is blocking the lane I'm in.

There was oncoming traffic so I had to slow to about 15 MPH. I had three or four cars behind me. Finally I saw a break and I eased into the opposite lane to allow for clearance.

The guy was a bit wobbly on his bike to I gently tapped on my horn to let him know I was there.

I thought he was raising his hand to give me a wave of thanks but, instead, he flipped me off!

Nice!
    Heartbreaking.

I was kind of hoping some pranky teenagers would see it and put it in the cart return bay. Or a typical oblivious local driver would just plow into it and keep driving. I never saw the driver.
    slorenzen said:

B)

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    slorenzen said:

Looks like it IS a shopping cart. Put a handle on that and it would be perfect up and down the costco aisles.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I know that road well. Local cyclists are another reason to invest in a dash cam, although even if caught on camera, the local bleeding hearts would probably not do anything. They want all the rights of a sidewalk user with none of the responsibilities of a road user.

Fintail and I live nearby so I'll say this happened on W. Lake Samm Pky. which has one lane going each way and a narrow bicycle lane on one side.

Nice!

" They want all the rights of a sidewalk user with none of the responsibilities of a road user."

Bring up the topic of bicycle registration...I dare you...

In Eugene, it's considered a right to ride with no consequences or cost.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355
    Louisville has it's share of "professional" bicyclists who think that they should have the right to impede traffic by riding 2-3 abreast all the time. My wife and I like to bike but we almost always yield to cars and trucks out of simple courtesy.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

slorenzen said:

" They want all the rights of a sidewalk user with none of the responsibilities of a road user."

Bring up the topic of bicycle registration...I dare you...

In Eugene, it's considered a right to ride with no consequences or cost.

Registration for bicycles?

We have the Cascade Bicycle Club up here that is a pretty powerful lobby group.

We can spend millions catering to them by paving trails, painting bike lanes and putting up signs but perish the thought that they might be asked to pay maybe a 25.00 yearly license fee!

Does ANYONE (besides them) that would consider that unreasonable?
    fintail said:

Heartbreaking.

I was kind of hoping some pranky teenagers would see it and put it in the cart return bay. Or a typical oblivious local driver would just plow into it and keep driving. I never saw the driver.

slorenzen said:

B)

When I was in high school a bunch of kids " I knew" once picked up an illegally parked Isetta and placed it sideways on a picnic bench with all four wheels dangling in the air!
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    UW bridge goes up. Traffic stops, but the bikes split lanes & go to the front to be the first when the bridge opens. This gives them a second chance to impede vehicle progress. License all in the state @ $50 a bike. Tandems pay $100. They already have free Liability insurance via their Homeowner policy!
    " License all in the state @ $50 a bike. Tandems pay $100."

Oh, the HUMANITY!

The shrieking would almost be unbearable!

Their self-entitled attitude has really pissed off a lot of people, but I see nothing ever happening...

:@
    Our local paper The Courier Journal(more accurately referred to as The Communist Urinal) actually published an article on its editorial page by a self-proclaimed "Professional Bicyclist" who argued that bicyclists shouldn't have to obey stop signs, traffic lights, turn lanes and such. Moron.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Yep, like I said, all the rights of a sidewalk user, none of the responsibilities of a road user. Oh, even sidewalk users have to obey lights.

I'm still waiting to get hit by a cyclist in a crosswalk while I am on foot. That or one of the local Stepford wives (isell will know what I mean) in a high end CUV/SUV. Those are the most likely options. Then maybe I'll have the fintail restored :)

Drove a short time ago - lots of slow people out today. Got behind a dawdly GL that slowly weaved into a turn lane, no signal - I had to honk. Also saw a woman in a CX5 who I am pretty sure was texting or reading something, looking down, going 15-20 in a 30, slowly moved into a turn lane, honked then too. Zero cops.
    edited December 2014

Our local paper bicyclists shouldn't have to obey stop signs, traffic lights, turn lanes and such.

"California" stops are okay at stop signs and proceeding after stopping for red lights is fine too in progressive Idaho. UrbanVelo

Most residential stop signs should be taken down anyway. Better for everyone if you have to stop texting and actually look for traffic instead of assuming you have the right of way because the cross street has a stop sign.

It might work in "progressive" low population density low traffic wide open spaces Idaho. Might not work so well in developed areas.

I agree about 4 way stops, and don't get me started about the negligent maintenance of lowest common denominator traffic controls via our beloved accountable responsible "traffic engineers" (sarcastic quotes).

Proceeding at red lights after stopping in empty intersections should also be OK for cars. The fuel wasted by negligent traffic planning has to be mind-boggling, not to mention the value of the time. Cities which refuse to optimize traffic controls should lose federal funding. That's a "green" initiative the guilted eco-weenies somehow refuse to touch.
    edited December 2014
    Worked fine in Boise, and that's a metro area of 600,000+ with a "city limits" population of 205,000.

I always enjoy my rare trips to the home office in Santa Monica; it's an open plan kind of office and as you wander around, lots of people have their bikes parked at their desks. And lots of the long term road trips involve hauling mountain bikes out of town. And there was this activity last month for employees:

And what's the population density there? Proportion of single family homes? Any buildings over 10 stories? :) My memories of that area are sprawl, sprawl, sprawl, cheap land. Easy for bikes.

Dense enough that at least two cyclists, including a doctor, were run down by motorists while I lived there.
    edited December 2014
    So no answer? I am just saying that what works in Boise might not work in actual large dense cities.

Motorcyclists and pedestrians get ran down all the time, too.
    Obviously you need to do a road trip. :)

And it'd work in Seattle just fine. The cars don't stop for stop signs, much less the bikers, so you may as well make it legal, lol.

The powers that be in Boise managed to mostly avoid urban renewal back in the day and they stopped the Interstate from going right downtown. They do have two one way four-lanes (I-184 changes into Highway 26) that are idiotic and divide the capital side from easy access to the river. It's worse near the courthouse close to where the newish Whole Foods is. Speeders, turners and bikers/foot traffic don't mix well.
    I've been to that area. Many locals would be eaten alive in downtown Seattle or on crowded arterial highways, and would probably be uneasy in Bellevue - here we have more pedestrians, narrower roads, worse lines of sight. You've been to downtown Seattle. IMO, Boise is closer to Spokane. Still a fair amount of people, but less congestion. Speeders, turners, foot-bike traffic - that's my afternoon reality.

Many residential areas in Seattle actually do have uncontrolled intersections. But it wouldn't work on streets that see 100 cars per minute, which probably isn't an issue anywhere in Idaho.
    edited December 2014
    fintail said:

You've been to downtown Seattle.

Not driving if I can avoid it. Usually try to take the bus from Wallingford. :) Bad traffic and forget parking. Haven't spent much time south of I-90 but what would kill me in Seattle would be the hills, not the traffic. Hm, bad word choice.

100 cars a minute would be 144,000 a day. Alaskan Way was up to 110,000 five years ago (what do y'all call that road - the Viaduct?). Better get Bertha boring again.

Most of the heavy collector streets in Boise run 25,000 to 35,000 cars a day, with one or two hitting 50k.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Fortunately, that person also provides a self-cancelling option for never having to listen to him again.

The worst offenders are bicyclists dressed up like Italian candy bars. Somehow, you put someone in a uniform and they can, if not properly led by trained officers, plunge into mob mentality.

I find most recreational bicyclists here in California courteous and respectful of the laws. We in the north are heavy on mountain bikers, so they don't get in the way of anything except big rocks and the occasional tree leaping out in front of them.

Our local paper The Courier Journal(more accurately referred to as The Communist Urinal) actually published an article on its editorial page by a self-proclaimed "Professional Bicyclist" who argued that bicyclists shouldn't have to obey stop signs, traffic lights, turn lanes and such. Moron.

This Pearls Before Swine strip about sums it up. :)
  • jjackson12jjackson12 Member Posts: 46
    edited December 2014

simple courtesy.

^^ THIS ^^

If we had more of this, then we'd have less conflicts, rage, 'accidents', etc.

I see it all from the viewpoint of a driver, cyclist, and pedestrian. Unfortunately some only see it as US vs THEM from whichever camp they're in. This leads to conflict, rage, and 'accidents'.
    And the need for this forum. :smile:

This is more funny than inconsiderate.

Yesterday, I was driving through a small town downtown area. The street is one lane in each direction with parallel parking on both sides and has a 25 mph SL. I was the only car at a stop light and across the crossroad I noticed a 4x4 F250 w/long bed backing into a parking spot. Apparently didn't have a good line because he pulled out and tried again. And again. On the fourth try my light turned green and I moved slowly forward, not crowding him as I didn't want to be inconsiderate. He gave up on that one and pulled out and kept driving about three blocks to where there was a whole block of empty parking spots. He was able to successfully pull straight in and park.

By the way, his original spot was a double (two spots together) about 40 feet long!
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    Another reason for backup cameras.
    Why give that idiot any assistance? The guy is an incompetent fool who should be using public transit.

The truck thing isn't just a reason for backup cameras, but a reason for license endorsements for vehicles beyond a certain size. They are a menace, and a magnet for the inept.

My average speed on the way home this evening was 8 mph, per the car's computer. Love it. Slow drivers, timid drivers, and negligent traffic controls combine for a fun stew.

This morning, I saw the young woman in a red Focus wagon I see now and then, who just flies down the road - I estimate 55-60 in a 35. I'm waiting to see her on her roof one of these days.
  • hammerheadhammerhead Member Posts: 907
    xwesx said:

Ah, yes, --autonomous cars---one more instance of the Iron Fist of Technology squeezing the juice out of the sweet plum of life.

(I thought that was rather good, actually, if a bit overwrought) :)

Indeed!

In my attempt to be a realist, I am going to surmise that we're about five years out from rollout of self-driving modes on *some* car models in some instances. Most likely relegation of these early roll-outs will be in luxury lines. In twenty years, self-driving modes will be widespread to the point that human driving will account for the minority of driving miles. Forty years (TOPS), human driving BANNED in this country except on controlled courses.

Damn; I just depressed myself big time.

"From my cold, dead hands..."

xwesx said:

I am going to surmise that we're about five years out from rollout of self-driving modes on *some* car models in some instances.

"From my cold, dead hands..."
    I agree, but unfortunately there is a large percentage of our population that need self-driving cars. And that percentage is growing.
    I wonder how well autonomous cars will work at night. It's getting so I don't like driving after dark any more.
    stever said:

I wonder how well autonomous cars will work at night. It's getting so I don't like driving after dark any more.

Well, given that the technology is tending primarily toward radar and "cameras" (IR reflectivity using road striping, etc), I'd say night is a non-factor.

Inclement weather (primarily snow/ice) may pose more significant obstacles to the technology, however, as well as sub-par maintenance (e.g., Alaskans are not familiar with the concept of road striping - LOL) and other challenges.

Honestly, though, it's coming - and sooner than we might think or prefer.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    We're driving to TN at year end, and will be on the Interstates a good bit. As much as I depend on the cruise, I'm jonsing for the blind spot and lane detection stuff. Completely autonomous cruising would great for those roads.

Shouldn't be any reason why you couldn't turn it on and off, just like cruise or traction control. I can imagine that your insurance rates would be less if you left the driving to the computers though. And I'm sure that the companies will track how often you turn it off and adjust your premium accordingly. :)
    edited December 2014
    And I can't wait for the brave warrior/revenue enforcement sector to have final say in this new method of vehicular guidance. They'll have to ensure their revenue streams (which is what it is all about) and job security somehow, as fighting real crime is an alien idea for too many of these types, so I don't know how it will come to reality.

Saw a typical PNW thing today - car gets into a turn only lane, no signal, then hits the signal after the light turns green. I have to wonder about the thought process involved, why bother?

Got behind a Bellevue wife in a nice Volvo wagon spacing off and playing with her hair at a blinking yellow turn light, no oncoming traffic. I flashed my lights, and I could visibly see her wake up. She eventually slowly got moving.

Stopped by a highly rated automotive electonics place to check on dashcams today. I can get a top of the line setup and have installed for a grand even - not cheap. But it is a good unit and their work is top notch. I am considering it. New Youtube channel - baddriversofbellevue.
    Had a tailgater today on my rear bumper at 35 MPH. I'm not sure I could have slid a hacksaw blade between our bumpers.

Oh, how I SO MUCH would have liked to speed up and "brake check" that tailgater!

There was a time....
    fintail said:

Stopped by a highly rated automotive electronics place to check on dashcams today. I can get a top of the line setup and have installed for a grand even - not cheap. But it is a good unit and their work is top notch. I am considering it. New Youtube channel - baddriversofbellevue.

LOL nice! What is the unit you're considering, and how is it installed?

I think it might have been this - they say they tend to pick these higher end ones, as you get what you pay for. The guy there told me the camera alone was around $400. I am going to ask the dealership if they have a procedure, as the car is a lease, and I would need to remove it at lease end.

Regarding tailgaters, last time I had one, I turned on the rear fog light. He got the point. It's irksome to be tailgated when there are 10 cars in front of me crawling - I can't go through them, no matter how much I wish I could.
    xwesx said:

fintail said:

Stopped by a highly rated automotive electronics place to check on dashcams today. I can get a top of the line setup and have installed for a grand even - not cheap. But it is a good unit and their work is top notch. I am considering it. New Youtube channel - baddriversofbellevue.

LOL nice! What is the unit you're considering, and how is it installed?

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,150
    edited December 2014
    "Saw a typical PNW thing today - car gets into a turn only lane, no signal, then hits the signal after the light turns green. I have to wonder about the thought process involved, why bother?"

Here the habit is to use the turn signal power steering assist. They seem to think it's a power assist and they turn on the turn signal as they start turning the wheel, say to the right. If you're behind, it's a surprise; if you're waiting to turn left and they're the oncoming traffic, it means you don't get notice that you could have turned left and been gone down the street. Instead their turn signal pops on as the front wheel start turning.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

@fintail‌, it's hard to believe that all those Russians are using anything fancier than something like this.

$65 dashcam.
    $150 installation.
    Free YouTube channel.
    Profit.

(we'll overlook the denial of warranty claims....)
    I think many of them are using something better, judging by image quality. I want something from a known maker, and I'd like it installed correctly. Also needs to be hardwired in, and discreet. I usually adhere to the penny wise/pound foolish cliche, too.

We'll see if I go through with it - I also have an old radio or two I've thought of having restored, along with an aging laptop, so that might eat my gadgetry fund for the year.
    stever said:

@fintail‌, it's hard to believe that all those Russians are using anything fancier than something like this.

$65 dashcam.
    $150 installation.
    Free YouTube channel.
    Profit.

(we'll overlook the denial of warranty claims....)

My car doesn't have that, but I can see how the tech it does have could make people lazy and stupid. Blind spot assist is a goodie - don't need to turn my head, just hit the signal, and it'll beep if there's anyone around. Using that assistance feature as an auto-turn is pretty bad - it needs to not be initiated by the signal.

Out on the roads today, I will just say it was a "diverse" experience, and I don't mean that in a good way. And on top of it, the usual - slow, no signal use, bad lane positioning - people complain about low information voters, I think the low information drivers are worse.

Here the habit is to use the turn signal power steering assist. They seem to think it's a power assist and they turn on the turn signal as they start turning the wheel, say to the right. If you're behind, it's a surprise; if you're waiting to turn left and they're the oncoming traffic, it means you don't get notice that you could have turned left and been gone down the street. Instead their turn signal pops on as the front wheel start turning.

In the Crossroads area of Bellevue yesterday, in heavy traffic when a large fire truck and then a hook and ladder scream out of the fire station with sirens on and light ablaze!

Cars everywhere with nowhere to go! Luckily, I was pinned in on four sides.

The fireman leaned on his air horn causing indecision and panic. One guy ran a red light right in front of the fire truck. An elderly woman appeared to be frozen in fear as the fire truck threaded it's way around her. They FINALLY got through but it wasn't easy for them.

Of course it was pouring rain at the time.

I can't say anyone did anything wrong here. Just horrible timing during Christmas shopping traffic!

Every now and then I'll see someone fail to move over for an emergency vehicle, on an open road. Seems to happen to ambulances mostly.

Not to be too critical of local emergency responders, who do a fine job, but I see the ladder trucks out an awful lot - I wonder if they send them out more often just to keep them maintained, sending them to the scene every time Mrs. Elkins cat is stuck in a tree.