Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Airbag Warning - 2015 Hyundai Sonata Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited December 2014 in Hyundai
imageAirbag Warning - 2015 Hyundai Sonata Long-Term Road Test

The 2015 Hyundai Sonata is brand new to the Edmunds long-term test fleet. Now with less than 500 miles on the odometer, the airbag warning has illuminated.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    Maybe it's a new default? "Warning: Airbag supplied by Takata. Proceed at own risk."
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited December 2014
    There was a recall in 2012 for Sonata side airbags. Don't know if those were sourced by Takata or Key Safety Systems or someone else.

Interesting times when people pay attention to the names of automotive suppliers. Although back in my day you knew AC Delco or Body by Fisher.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I appreciate the "don't whip on the car just yet" sentiment. :)
  • Options
    chol92594chol92594 Member Posts: 208
    I get the impression that Hyundai/Kia have really gotten competitive with their reliability, so I'd definitely hold off judgment until it gets looked at. Hopefully, it's just something small like an electronic glitch. Would be interesting to know if it went away with an ignition cycle. Small things happen, even on new cars. Hell, the power lumbar on my dad's 2007 Tundra wasn't working, but when he took it to the dealer, it just turned out that the connector for the switch wasn't connected.
  • Options
    agent0090agent0090 Member Posts: 26
    First year of the new model.
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    My guess is something wasn't connected securely at the factory. Airbag warning light is now like the check engine light. Could be the airbag or it maybe the seat belt buckle or occupant sensors etc.
  • Options
    redgeminiparedgeminipa Member Posts: 74
    stever said:

There was a recall in 2012 for Sonata side airbags. Don't know if those were sourced by Takata or Key Safety Systems or someone else.

Interesting times when people pay attention to the names of automotive suppliers. Although back in my day you knew AC Delco or Body by Fisher.

Odd... my '12 Sonata SE never had a recall for airbags...
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited December 2014
    Most recalls are by VIN and that's the best way to look up your car to see if there's a recall on it, although some recent recalls may not be listed and sometimes not all VINs are initially listed. Try safercar.gov, run by the NHTSA.
  • Options
    rysterryster Member Posts: 571

stever said:

Odd... my '12 Sonata SE never had a recall for airbags...
    Only 29,767 2012 and 2013 Sonatas were recalled for side airbag issues. "Hyundai is recalling certain model year 2012-2013 Hyundai Sonata passenger cars, manufactured from January 24, 2012, through June 21, 2012. The curtain side airbags on these vehicles may inflate without deployment command due to an error during manufacturing."

• Options
    mrvtecskimrvtecski Member Posts: 46
    edited March 2015
    I had this happen to me- could be a bad seatbelt buckle too. I should know, I had one replaced on my 04 TSX a few months ago after I raised hell at Acura corporate when my dealer tried to say it wasn't covered under the lifetime seatbelt warranty.