Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

I'd Skip the Recaros - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited December 2014 in Ford
imageI'd Skip the Recaros - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

Our 2015 Ford Mustang GT has racing-inspired Recaro seats, but they require a few tradeoffs.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    I like cushy, comfortable seats, too. I'd try both, but probably end up with the standard seats.
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    It seems to me like the Recaros are poseur bait.

Only a tiny portion of Mustang owners will ever take their cars to a road track, and those folks lucky enough to live someplace like SoCal with curvy mountain roads would be held in place just fine with the stock seats.

Way back when stock seats in American cars sucked. The seats in my '87 Mustang LX 5.0 were flat and had no more lateral support than the ones in the 1976 Fiesta I drove before it. Even the seats in the '87 GT mostly looked sporty, so something like an option for true sports seats would be worth the upgrade.

But today Ford puts a perfectly good sports seat in the base GT and so (obviously) I completely agree that giving up the heated/cooled seats (it gets cold/hot every day) and the power memory seat (my 6-4 frame shares a car with a 5-4 wife) plus paying $1600 more for a track quality sports seat is not worth it.
  • Options
    rotaryboffrotaryboff Member Posts: 12
    Not worth it. Buy a cheap racing seat for track days.
  • Options
    jamieviddjamievidd Member Posts: 1
    I'd skip every option except for an automatic transmission. Then I'd go to Truecar and get a Mustang GT for 34K. Who needs to shift a wide heavy car and work your left leg at every light on a car that already has tons of torque? 45K for a Mustang is insane.
  • Options
    priusprickpriusprick Member Posts: 1
    I think you'd have to be a bit insane to spend an extra $1500 for racing seats to give up power adjusting heated and cooled seats.
  • Options
    chol92594chol92594 Member Posts: 208
    Living in the Midwest, I couldn't imagine not having heated leather seats, especially on a car this expensive. Like a lot of people said already, most Mustang owners will never need that kind of support. I'd much rather have the added comfort and convenience of the standard seats (which I can enjoy daily) than give all of that up for some extra support that will rarely get used to its full potential.
  • Options
    bucho65bucho65 Member Posts: 11
    I'd go for the Recaros, the GT performance package, and skip the rest of the fluff. In a performance car the seats are very important and not a place to cheap out on IMO. I'm also in the minority that take their cars to the track occasionally.
  • Options
    frostyballsfrostyballs Member Posts: 1
    How long have you had this car and we are still talking about seats? Lets see some videos, burnouts, track times, whats next a review on the visibility out of the rearview mirror? let it rip!!!!
  • Options
    eglidemaneglideman Member Posts: 1
    Been talking to people that have been able to use the power adjust base with the Recaro seats. Even got the heated and lumbar to fit. So if it is a swap out, you have the items to work with if ordered in with the Recaros I don't think you have the option.