Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Detailing - 2005 Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited January 2015 in Mercedes-Benz
imageDetailing - 2005 Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG Long-Term Road Test

Since our long-term 2005 Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG is ten years old, there are parts that need a little bit of TLC, including the exhaust pipes.

Read the full story here

Comments

• grijongrijon Member Posts: 147
    Beautiful!
  • quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    Glad to see someone care enough to clean a car themselves, instead of taking it to the car wash (I hate those things). Way to go, Travis!
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    I must admit old girl looks good.
  • chol92594chol92594 Member Posts: 208
    Good work, Travis. Nice to see that there are still bonafide gear heads out there that care about the details when cleaning a car.

I've seen a few CLs of this generation in the wild and I still think it's one of MB's best modern designs. I loved it when their design language was more understated, unlike their current trend of over-styled and polarizing designs (see new S-Class).

Just a tip, fine steel wool works great on exhaust tips with a lot of soot. I've had to use it on a family member's A4 2.0T many times (seems to be an issue with various 2.0T Audis) and it really helps get the soot off. You just need to use light pressure in order to minimize marring and then go over it liberally with a good chrome polish. Magic Erasers also work well for exhaust tips, as well as light scuffs on interiors and exteriors (just need to be careful with how much pressure you apply).
  • rhummer1rhummer1 Member Posts: 1
    How about a 2008 or so vintage V8 Vantage or Maserati GT as a replacement?
  • jstrauch81jstrauch81 Member Posts: 64
    Great write-up and update of washing the car.
  • dvanosdvanos Member Posts: 52
    What did you use to clean off the soot??
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Congrats, it looks nice! Now, you know what to do now, right? Sell it.