Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005 Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG Long-Term Road Test: Pitted Windshield

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited January 2015 in Mercedes-Benz
Pitted Windshield: 2005 Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG Long-Term Road Test

Every time I drive towards a rising or setting sun in our long-term 2005 Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG, my vision is blurred by some serious pitting in the windshield. Those little specs act like water spots that have dried on the glass, intensifying the sun's reflection, limiting forward visibility. They aren't just in the lower left corner there either, they're spread across the entire windshield.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    sharpendsharpend Member Posts: 177
    Sheesh, OCD much? Just wear sunglasses and live with it!
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    I'd ignore it. It is a minor cosmetic issue that isn't worth $400 to fix much less $1,000.
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    Use some of that $7.00 washer fluid you bought for the KIA. For what you paid it should clear it right up.
  • Options
    s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    i hate glass pitting, too. but not $1000 worth of hate. $400-500 i could do...
  • Options
    mcesareymcesarey Member Posts: 11
    I'd keep it in mind, but live with it for the time being. Wait for a big rock to slam into it, then replace it. No way would I pay a grand in order to fix some minor pitting.
  • Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    You're asking me whether I'd spend $1000 or $1650 to replace a windshield because of some spots? Are you crazy? I have a tough time justifying a required 60k timing belt change and don't want to think about replacing $150 tires. I'm not going to spend $1,000+ on a windshield unless its REALLY REALLY broken and even then I'm going to look into insurance claim options.
  • Options
    desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    While the Benz AMG may be pricey, wasn't the replacement glass on the FJ Cruiser much more?
    I don't see that vehicle anymore on the Edmunds' past fleet list, which is kinda weird.
  • Options
    melinammelinam Member Posts: 1
    Hi Travis!
    Melina here in Safelite’s communications department. Thanks for the shout-out in your article! I checked with our national director of quality about your situation. He said a pitted windshield is definitely a safety concern if affects the driver’s view of the road ahead. Sometimes it can be even more of a concern than your normal chip or crack due to night driving and headlights reflecting off pitted glass. If you decide to have something done about it, please let me know. You can find me at https://twitter.com/melinametzger - just DM me and I’ll get you in touch with the right people.
  • Options
    kshankarkshankar Member Posts: 175
    What type of glass coverage do your cars have? I have 100% coverage for glass through my insurance.
  • Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    kshankar said:

What type of glass coverage do your cars have? I have 100% coverage for glass through my insurance.

Here in GA, we don't have options for ANY coverage even through a great insurance company like USAA - we have to pay it out of pocket. No offense, but based on what I've read, I wouldn't use Safelite as they make their own windshields typically. Maybe in this case, they'll use a genuine OEM, but I've heard enough horror stories to avoid them.