Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Tidy Liftgate Opening - 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited January 2015 in Jeep
imageTidy Liftgate Opening - 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited Long-Term Road Test

Along with great utility and road manners, our Edmunds.com 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited road-tester features a liftgate with a narrow opening radius that's handy in tight spaces.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    robs249robs249 Member Posts: 8
    I hate that Jeep has taken away the separate-from-tailgate, upper glass release. It's very helpful in these situations. Jeep, put them back on the Cherokee and GC with the next refresh!!
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Had that feature on two Ford Explorers, spanning a period of 15 years. If I used that feature a dozen times, I'd be surprised.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,228
    Had that on my CR-V and loved it.. It's very handy.

But, I'm sure an extra set of struts and hinges adds weight and cost.. And, maybe even decreases structural integrity (a little bit). That features seems to be less and less available.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited January 2015
    I think I rarely used it because I always had the retractable trunk cover pulled over the trunk. That meant putting items on top of the cover rather than on the floor. Just seemed easier to open the hatch. I couldn't retract the cover without opening the hatch.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,228
    rsholland said:

I think I rarely used it because I always had the retractable trunk cover pulled over the trunk. That meant putting items on top of the cover rather than on the floor. Just seemed easier to open the hatch. I couldn't retract the cover without opening the hatch.

That makes sense.. The CR-V had a side opening door (don't get me started), and no cover.. so, there is that.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Didn't have the opening rear glass on my lower trim Quest minivan and always wished I had it. Maybe I didn't miss anything.
  • Options
    kyfdx said:

rsholland said:

That makes sense.. The CR-V had a side opening door (don't get me started), and no cover.. so, there is that.

Yes, if I had a sde-opening door like that and no trunk cover, I'm sure I would have used it all the time.
  • Options
    legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    One driver's "tidy" is another driver's "small." I see how the size and location of the Cherokee's rear door worked out in this situation. But it's also worth noting that for the class of small CUVs, the load height is quite high and the rear opening is pretty small. It's part of the trade off for off-road capability and under-floor spare storage but it's also a limiting factor for some cargo duties.