Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2015 GMC Yukon SLT -- Water leak 485 miles,

tessier4tessier4 Member Posts: 6
edited December 2014 in GMC
After years of being a foreign car buyer, I purchased a 2015 Yukon for my wife, and to use as our "family" car. We were on the fence on whether to purchase the GMC or a Japanese Full size. In the end the up-to-date styling, the size and improved fit and finish won us over to the Yukon. We picked the car up on 12/18, and had a few great days with it. We really like the model. On the 23rd, after 5 days, it was in the shop with a water leak.

There were a couple of other things that came up in the first few days. The headliner had a rattle in it. Figured we would get this fixed when we brought it in, for a visit. Then the rear A/C - Heat when you turned on the car would start full blast and the controls, neither in the front of the car, or the back were able to adjust it. I had to turn the car off and restart it. Which seemed to reset the software or something. This happened a couple of times, but not every time.

On Tuesday the 23rd of December I noticed the carpet was wet on the passenger side of the car. There was a water leak and water had been pouring in. It seemed to be coming in under the dash and/or near the kick plate near the front of the passenger front door.

I will say the dealership is really trying to make me happy. They gave me a loaner car, which was a Buick Encore. Called me the next day and told me that they had a larger car for me, if I was willing to come back over and swap out the Encore. Which I did do, and I appreciate.

Yesterday, which was Friday 12/26. I spoke to them. They explained they believe they have found the source of the leak, which was lack of sealant from the factory someplace in the front end. They had to pull the passenger fender and inner fender off to get to it. In addition, the compound they are using needs additional time to "cure". So it doesn't sound like a simple fix.

In the long run I am worried about long term mold and electrical problems. As The water seems to have been coming into the car from a wiring harness.

I did speak with the GMC Customer line yesterday who gave me a case #. It's a tough time with the holidays and all. My family and I were going to travel to our timeshare in Vermont for some skiing. (It's 40 degrees and rained) so the snow probably isn't that great. But that cannot be replaced. I feel like if I leave and go, GM will request my presence at the dealership. Which is probably not a reasonable thought since it's the holiday week and many people are off. Which I am really hoping doesn't delay GM's response to the car's issues.

I will add that I am very stressed about the whole ordeal. Enough that I woke up at 4 AM this morning thinking about it. I feel quite helpless. Really want to keep the drama on this to a minimum.

I truly hope that my faith in making a $66,000 purchase of a GM product can be restored. Especially after 480 miles.

When GM or the dealer response is received. I will post it here on this forum.

Happy Holidays from Albany NY
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Update. So we have been driving the car a few weeks now waiting for GM to review our file and what is happening with the vehicle. I will honestly say that it is a nice car and this could be a great experience. We are patiently waiting to see what they can do.

The dealer is trying hard. They have made an attempt to fix the water leak. Unfortunately they had to remove the front bumper, passenger side fender to get to where they thought the leak was coming from. But now they can't get the fender or bumper to line back up on the car

The other day the GPS stopped working, shows the car all over the place. But not on the actual road the you are on. The compass doesn't work either now.

Then today we opened the sunroof for the first time, and now we have an air gap or leak coming through the sunroof.

But to top it all off, we went to the car wash today, and water leak is back. Wow!!!!

I know that we had a holiday and everybody is busy. The GM field rep did call me on Friday of this last week. Even after documenting so many problems with the service department and working with them, all while trying to be pleasant and most of all patient. I felt that he discounted me. Not a great feeling right now. Said he would fallout some paperwork on this and hopefully get back to me next week.

You know in life things happen, mistakes and problems come up. A true measure of value is how they get fixed.

I get the dealership is trying to fix it. They have now had the car for 7 full days( I actually thinks it 8) of the 21 that have owned it. I imagine it will go back in on Monday.

Today when we noticed the water leak we drove to the dealership and the service rep took pictures of the water leak. Which I appreciate so much.

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I think maybe you need to sit down with the dealership's sales manager and possibly work out a possible new deal on a replacement. You also have the option of addressing the Lemon Law if repeated attempts fail to make the vehicle reasonably operative.

http://www.dmv.org/automotive-law/lemon-law.php

"Generally, the lemon law covers new vehicles with serious defects/malfunctions for a certain amount of time or mileage. If your vehicle can't be fixed after a reasonable number of repair attempts by the manufacturer or its authorized dealer, you'll likely be entitled to a replacement vehicle of equal value or a total refund."
  • Options
    i will honestly say that the folks at the dealership. Service manager. Body shop manager have been great. I have not interfaced with the sales department or the ownership at this point on this issue. (I have been trying to keep the drama to a minimum). although I would imagine they are aware, at this point I would have to believe they will become more involved. The dealer has been really good about this.

The problem and true solutions sit in GM's hands. As the dealer is a franchise and GM the manufacturer. The question is what will they do?

By the way I left out we do have approx 1000 miles on the car at point. Today is the 11th. I believe we picked it up on the 18th of December. Just so you have a timeline. There is truly a list of issues which I will not bore you with in this post. To be continued............
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    When you institute a Lemon Law claim, you're right..it's against the manufacturer, not the dealer. The dealer often does not receive much (if any) compensation for some types of repairs and so tends to give up after a few tries. If the dealer gets frustrated trying to fix your car, and the factory does not offer some really serious intervention, then your chances of a satisfactory outcome become less and less as time goes on. So you need to have your ducks in a row here and be ready to escalate to the next level if you have to.
  • Options
    Update #3. My wife and I picked up our new car tonight. Could not believe how good the dealership has been to us. It all took a couple weeks since they made the decision to buy back the car. Unfortunately we had to get a different color or wait 3 to 4 months for another. But that's the least of our worries. The car is replaced and we are hoping for a great ownership experience.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We'll keep our fingers crossed. Thanks for all the updates on how it worked out.
  • Options
    gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hi tessier4,

We recognize you've been through quite a bit with your vehicle, but we're happy to hear your dealership is taking care of this situation. Let us know how everything turns out with your new car, and if there's ever anything we can do to help we're just a private message away.

Best,
    Amber N.
    GM Customer Care