Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

How Much Are X5s out the door

sherbert_2736sherbert_2736 Member Posts: 1
edited January 2015 in BMW
I am looking for BMW X5, and I want to know approximately how much would be added to the price I see online to the actual buying of the car.

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,156

I am looking for BMW X5, and I want to know approximately how much would be added to the price I see online to the actual buying of the car.

A lot of the taxes and fees are dependent on where you live

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    ken117ken117 Member Posts: 249
    It is not possible to compute the out the door price. Each case is different. Different states with different taxes and fees such as registration. A trade in may impact the sales tax.

What you need to assure is you pay only the negotiated price of the car plus applicable sales tax and registration fees. Any fees applied by a dealer which are not legally required fees such as documentation or processing fees are not fees. They are not legally required, whatever the dealer states. They are simply part of the selling price.

If the dealer states they are legally required to charge a doc fee or if the doc fee is printed on the sales contract they are being deceptive. The truth is they have a need to show they charged the fee on all sales. If they do not they run the risk of being sued by a buyer for disparate treatment. Their lawyers tell them to make sure the show they charged the fee on every contract. However, there is no legal requirement for the fee and there is no reason a buyer must pay it. Just have them reduce the selling price or consider the fee in you offer.

Example, last year we bought a Ford Escape for our daughter. During the process, the dealer never mentioned their $500 doc fee. After we settled on a price, the dealer showed paperwork with the $500 fee added to the negotiated price. We said we would not pay it. The dealer then increased the value of the trade by $450. We did not argue over the $50.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You also have to watch out for extra fees or products you don't need - that's another reason to get the OTD number before agreeing to a deal.

Ask for the Out-the-Door Cost When Buying a Car