Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hood Won't Close

rustle148rustle148 Member Posts: 2
edited January 2015 in Mercury
This may sound like a joke, but it is NOT! I want to know if the hood should stay closed due to the hood latching mechanism (safety catch and associated mechanism) or should the hood stay closed because the hood struts are designed to hold the hood down? I think that the mechanism associated with the hood safety catch locks and latches the hood down and it may be stuck preventing the hood from closing. My nephew says NO, that it is the hood struts that lock down the hood and the safety latch only keeps the hood from being ripped off when the hydraulic struts fail. Is my nephew all wet or is there truth to what he says. He claims I need new struts to hold the hood down.

Comments

• Options
    ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    edited January 2015
    I believe the struts are to hold hood up, not down (there isn't anything else holding it up is there?)
    In either case the double latch in front should be holding hood down.
  • Options
    rustle148rustle148 Member Posts: 2
    Well, thanks for the feedback. I just wanted to make sure that I was correct in my assumptions. The hood latch looked like all the rest of the hood latches I've seen, so I figured my nephew didn't know what he was talking about.