Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2015 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport Road Test | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited January 2015 in Mitsubishi
image2015 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport Road Test | Edmunds.com

The 2015 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport scores points for fuel efficiency but not enough to overcome its drawbacks.

Read the full story here

Comments

• foxtrot685foxtrot685 Member Posts: 10
    So many flaws with this article. The bias is evident.
    This vehicle DOES HAVE a telescopic steering wheel.
    Drivers knee airbag has been equipped in all Outlander Sport models since 2011 MY.
    It does not compete directly with an Escape, CR-V, Rav4, CX-5, or Equinox. That would be the larger Outlander. It DOES compete with Buick Encore/ Chevy Trax, upcoming Honda HRV, Jeep Renegade, Mini Countryman (size wise).
    YOU CANNOT USE THE IPHONE VIA USB AND HAVE IT TETHERED VIA BLUETOOTH SIMULTANEOUSLY!!!!! I really don't know HOW many times Mitsubishi has to cover this. It will not work! It will drop calls! It will stop playing music! It will act erratic! It has since 2011 MY!
  • psychogunpsychogun Member Posts: 129
    More unfortunate proof that automotive journalism is becoming devoid of objectivity, accurate research, and competent understanding of the automotive market.
    It's all subjective commentary without any objective measurements to support the authors opinions. There's just no pragmatic approach here. It makes me question whether the author even actually drove the car...
  • awcawdawcawd Member Posts: 6
    Obviously a biased review. Below I will proof it using articles by edmunds.com only.
    Here the 0-60 mph acceleration of 9.2 s is deemed slow. the same parameter was reported for Kia Sportage (9.2 s), Honda CR-V (9.7 s), For Mazda CX-5 (2.0 L engine; 9.3 s). Why is the Outlander Sport slower than the competition?
    http://www.edmunds.com/kia/sportage/2011/road-test-specs2.html
    http://www.edmunds.com/ford/escape/2013/comparison-test.html
    http://www.edmunds.com/mazda/cx-5/2013/road-test.html
    From the same reviews the breaking distances from 60mph to 0 are the following:
    Kia Sportage: 124 ft
    Honda CR-V: 129 ft
    Ford Escape: 124 ft
    Mazda CX-5: 121 ft.
    Why is the 119 ft measured for the Outlander Sport here considered average for the class? Actually it is the best in the class.
    It is alarming that our esteemed auto journalists cannot even be consistent with their own facts. In science and engineering there is no room for feelings. The clock, the measuring tape and the scale do not lie, our senses may let us down.
    Continuing the comparison using edmunds.com data only:
    Subaru XV Crosstrek 0-60 mph: 9.9 s; breaking distance from 60 mph to 0: 126 ft.
    http://www.edmunds.com/subaru/xv-crosstrek/2013/road-test-specs1.html
    Chevrolet Equinox 0-60 mph: 9.3 s; breaking distance from 60 mph to 0:132 ft.
    http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/equinox/2010/road-test-specs2.html
    Chevrolet Trax 0-60 mph: 10.0 s; breaking distance from 60 mph to 0: 120 ft.
    http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/trax/2015/road-test-specs.html

Even from these additional three crossovers the conclusions of the author cannot be justified.
    I was wondering what are the competitors of the class that make the Outlander sport slow and its breaking distance average? I could not found them. I do not want to waste more space and time to prove my points on other claims of the article. I hope I established some credibility unlike the author.
    I could not resist to mention the following after reading the ratings of the SUVs by edmunds.com
    Based on the data collected by Edmunds and listed on my previous two posts Edmunds assigned a letter grade "D" for the acceleration of the Mitsubishi Outlander Sport (OS), while the slower Honda CR-V received a "B" grade.
    In the breaking category the OS again received a "D" grade, while the cars with longer breaking distances got better grades: Honda CR-V, and Mazda CX-5 both got "B" grade. From Edmunds data it is easy to calculate: when the OS has come to a complete stop the CR-V is still rolling with a speed of 17.3 mph and the CX-5 with 9.8 mph. These speeds are enough to cause damages that require a visit to the body shop.
    I have a message to the Managing Editor of Edmunds. Please, register your journalists for high school physics courses. They would benefit from it as their current grade is "F". There is a lot of journalism in the articles but not so much automotive.
    I find it outrageous that self proclaimed experts without proper foundation play with our money and give unsupported purchasing advice to favor one manufacturer over another. They are supposed to be the experts whom the unsuspecting consumer turns for help. I urge my fellow buyers to check your facts before you believe such a reports.
  • jim_photogjim_photog Member Posts: 1
    I do not understand why Edmunds gives this car such a poor review. It has a great safety rating (if that is what you are looking for, which I was not). It has great acceleration, I drive in Chicago rush hour traffic with speed averaging between 70 and 75 mph (yes, I am going in the good direction, not jammed). It is very crowded on the highways and acceleration is required to merge and pass. My Outlander Sport (5 speed manual and 2.0 engine) does just great. It handles wonderfully when I come upon one of the many poor drivers on the road who seem more interested in texting than staying in their own lane.

Size is exactly what I expected and both front and rear seats have great room. My 6 foot son has no problems in the rear seat.

Also, the Mitsubishi has a great realiability record. This is my second Mitsubishi and I love the fact that my main recurring cost is for oil changes. This is a great small SUV and I am amazed that Edmunds does not like it. The only thing I can figure is they put much more weight on the silly toys which cause bad drivers to drift into my lane at 70 mph rather than a great, reliable, safe and quick vehicle. Makes me scratch my head and has resulted in me lowering my opinion of Edmunds.