Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

U.S. Auto Market News and Reviews

Comments

• circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Speaking of safety, ever notice late model cars that you know have blue tooth like Caddy, Mercs, BMW's and Audis but the drivers still have cell phones in their hands???
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited January 2015
    Makes you wonder which brand has the highest market share of phone yakkers who could be talking hands free...
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    circlew said:

My daughter is still driving the '08 CR-V. 88K miles only maintenance service an 1 update to A/T on a recall.

Outside all the time as well.

No auto lights but DRL. B)

Uplander, you come back and suddenly the forums are alive again! Thanks for that!

My '05 Acura TL just hit 149K. Have not even had a transmission blow up on it for some surprising reason. But I have to turn the lights on by myself. I have to pull the door open, too. But the seat changes position automatically based upon the driver. Strange priorities, right? ;)

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,084
    edited January 2015
    Dollar-for-dollar, I simply could not be happier with my '08 Cobalt. I paid less for it than the Cavalier which I bought the Cobalt to replace. And with one at Miami U. and the other looking at Loyola, I have a hunch I'll be driving it for a good while. The XM radio is something I just love, especially when travelling. As I've said in the old days, I'd rather spend any extra income I have (none for the forseeable future) on an old, 'hobby' car than a new expensive vehicle of whatever sort. Believe it or not, I had 130K on my '97 Cavalier and 112K on my '02 Cavalier when I traded, and both were far from worn-out and both (especially the '02, I think--deep green and good factory wheels) still looked very presentable.

Interestingly, my daughter's '08 PT, which we bought when two years old--I have replaced the battery twice--both times, she was left stranded. Batteries were only about three years old, or a little more, each time. Unacceptable IMHO.

Imidazol, good deals on the new Malibu now. I really like the Impala, as does a friend of mine with a '15 LTZ, but it's too big for my wife. I think she'd have dings all over it. I'm liking the deep red on the Malibu that looks new this year and I like how it appears that last year's 2LT wheels are available on this year's lower-priced 1LT. We're a fairly short bunch so I think I could deal with the back seat. I simply don't care for the Fusion's fish mouth, taillights, and low rear-door cutout, but I sure do see a ton of them on the road. Some are built in Mexico, a turnoff for me too, not that Mexico can't build an excellent car, but I'd rather not support them financially if I could buy a new car built in America, by an American-based company, with an engine and trans both built in America and good American parts content. (And yes, I'm aware that Mexico is part of North America. ;))

But as I said, the reality is that I am out of the new-car market for a good while, by choice.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146

Imidazol, good deals on the new Malibu now. I really like the Impala, as does a friend of mine with a '15 LTZ, but it's too big for my wife. I think she'd have dings all over it. I'm liking the deep red on the Malibu that looks new this year and I like how it appears that last year's 2LT wheels are available on this year's lower-priced 1LT. We're a fairly short bunch so I think I could deal with the back seat.

There is no back seat problem. Sonata, 35.6 inches; Malibu, 36.8 inches. That's just a media thing. It may be a relic from the introduction of the ECO w/ assist. But it's a midsize car and the front seat is great and rear seat is typical.

There are great deals on '14s. Many dealers still have a few. And better yet,, they will be coming in from the lease and corporate use to the used car lots. That's how I found the Cobalt--off lease and 1.5 years in service with 16 K miles. Perfect for a high school kid (and his dad who loves that Cobalt and loves driving it still). I may have to buy him a Civic or Cruze to get the Cobalt back some day!

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    My 2014 Audi S4 employed a bunch of people in Escondido CA for hours and hours with about $22K in body and paint work thanks to a typical Lexus driver. I'm going to small claims Feb 4th to sue the negligent reckless driver for $10K (the max in small claims) because the insurance companies are playing stupid. As soon as I get the judgment my insurance company will allow me to collect the whole amount rather than split it with them. Mercury (the at fault driver's insurance) is going to pay $10K no matter what, but they are intent on Geico getting most of it. I think collusion is a motivating factor with insurance companies.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Good luck, sorry to hear, definitely sucks all the fun of owning a new car!
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    Five car brands with the most loyal drivers (from credit.com):

5. Lexus — 55.9%
    4. Kia — 57.2%
    3. Subaru — 57.7%
    2. Toyota — 59.1%
    1. Ford —60.8%
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    edited January 2015
    At least through 2013, Drl's are optional on Fords. My 2014 Ram Laramie does not have DRLs though the auto lights are sensitive.

Though my suburban technically had DRLs, they were burnt out more than they worked. Hopefully the new model with LED DRLs will actually last.
    I generally use Bluetooth in my Ram, except if my kids are with me and I want a semi private conversation. It generally works well. Still, you have to figure out how to pair your phone and some systems are better than others.
    I have noticed that the gen of Chevy trucks from probably a decade ago almost always have one light out. I have not replaced a headlight in a car since my 1981 Monte Carlo...and all but one have been GM's.

My friend said the dealer quoted him $1,200 to replace the headlight in his sister's Acura. Now you're going to ask me what year, model, etc., and I don't know. But I seem to remember her buying it somewhere from five or seven years ago. It's a four-door sedan, not an upper model. That is crazy.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,902
    One of the DRL bulbs in my Hyundai Elantra GT has burned out after 22,000 miles. I've got a regular service appt scheduled for this Saturday so I'll have them replace the bulb for me as well.

Regarding the one-eyed Chevy's and GMC's, a guy at the local auto parts store told me it's a design flaw in the electrical system. One side gets more voltage than the other and subsequently burns out the bulb.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Off topic a little here, but a friend told me yesterday he's finally retiring his '96 Lumina and he sent me a photo of the odometer...237K miles. He said it still runs and drives, but the body is in the fatal stages. He's cutting the converter off of it to sell to a local place, then it's off. He also has an '08 Impala he bought new, and bought a well-maintained '99 Malibu to replace the Lumina as a second car. He has a fleet of old cars, from a '56 Packard Clipper Custom to a '72 Buick LeSabre convertible, of all makes. Just for those who would say a '96 Lumina was done at 50K miles. ;)

Off topic a little here, but a friend told me yesterday he's finally retiring his '96 Lumina and he sent me a photo of the odometer...237K miles. He said it still runs and drives, but the body is in the fatal stages.

Sounds on topic to me. The state of the market is that GM cars last. Note that the body is succumbing to the rust from the road salts in northern states. My leSabre ran well and shifted very well at 201,000 miles when I gave it up. The dealer probably put it in the auction and it's been given some maintenance and is still being used. I'll have to check the VIN if I can find it and see where it's titled. Cloth seats were still in good shape.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,902

Off topic a little here, but a friend told me yesterday he's finally retiring his '96 Lumina and he sent me a photo of the odometer...237K miles. He said it still runs and drives, but the body is in the fatal stages.

Sounds on topic to me. The state of the market is that GM cars last. Note that the body is succumbing to the rust from the road salts in northern states. My leSabre ran well and shifted very well at 201,000 miles when I gave it up. The dealer probably put it in the auction and it's been given some maintenance and is still being used. I'll have to check the VIN if I can find it and see where it's titled. Cloth seats were still in good shape.

I've heard that the late 90's Luminas were some very well engineered cars.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I don't think the issue with D3 is whether they last. I think it's two related matters. 1. How often do they need repairs during their life v. Toyota, Honda, etc. and 2. the inconsistency that one model from Ford or GM turns out great while another one is awful. Resolve those matters, and I do think they are making some big progress, and I think the Asian advantage disappears.
    My friend concedes he's only put the last 143,672 miles on the car, but that he hasn't had more than $75 in repair costs at any given time (he can wrench), and is particularly proud that the car had no need for a timing belt for at least $700 as is so often the norm as 'routine maintenance' in later-model stuff.
    Why is Ford doing poorly in latest CR reliability reviews? Is it just lagging the competition?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Ford just the other day was voted No. 1 in customer loyalty.
    Here's a survey from last July, but Chevrolet was rated no. 5 in owner loyalty, higher than Lexus, Subaru, Honda, and Hyundai. Certainly not the conventional wisdom.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101800143/page/2
    Well, I can understand why Honda doesn't have loyalty, as they've been off their game in terms of offering different types of vehicles people want. The Civic and Accord are solid though, and the CRV always sells.

Interesting Ford has so much loyalty, perhaps an effect of American Big 3 loyalty with a disdain for companies that exist solely due to bailouts.
    I do believe there is still disdain for bailout companies. A moderator here from California disagreed with me about that a year or so ago, but where I live, I see and hear it still.
    Changed a DRL in the CR-V myself. Tricky but only cost $8.00 for the bulb. ;)
    edited January 2015
    My Malibu did have a burnt-out parking light but it was replaced under warranty. I have not had to replace a single headlight or DRL in over 30 years--and that's cars like Cavaliers. ;) As discussed above, GM trucks from a decade or so ago seem to be the worst offenders. But honestly, it seems that I've seen a good number of late-model Asian cars with headlights out the past few months.
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    edited January 2015
    andres3 said:

Well, I can understand why Honda doesn't have loyalty, as they've been off their game in terms of offering different types of vehicles people want. The Civic and Accord are solid though, and the CRV always sells.

Interesting Ford has so much loyalty, perhaps an effect of American Big 3 loyalty with a disdain for companies that exist solely due to bailouts.

I think most of the Ford loyalty revolves around their pickup trucks, and not their cars. Year after year after year, the F150 continues to outsell everything else on the market. Disclaimer: I own one myself.

I think Honda is shooting themselves in the foot with limited options. Two years ago, I would have bought an Accord, but you can't get the V6 without a hole in the roof. What brilliant person thought that one up?

I am see-sawing right now on a CR-V. I was down at the dealership last Saturday. I would have probably bought one right then, but I wanted some of the features on the EX, and you can't get those features without, you guessed it, a hole in the roof.

And wouldn't it be really nice if you could get a turbo charged 4 cylinder in the CR-V and Accord? If VW can do it for the Passat, Jetta, and Tiguan, why can't Honda?

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    Hell, even the Malibu offers a turbo!
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Ford and Chevy will always have high loyalty rates because of "trucks". From what I've experienced and heard, not sure I want a turbo or DI. Both can be problematic with age and I still have concern that as the car ages, a turbo will need higher octane fuel, while DI carbons up engines.
    I had a 2008 VW Passat, with the 2.0T turbo engine, direct injection, We kept it for 6 years, 105k miles, with no engine problems whatsoever. I am not afraid of turbos, I rather like the idea of so much power from such a small engine. And these modern turbocharged engines have a lot of torque, they are outperforming V8 engines in the area of low rpm torque.

Hell, even the Malibu offers a turbo!

Honda offers a V6 instead of a turbo 4. Does Malibu still offer a V6 in addition to the turbo?
    berri said:

Ford and Chevy will always have high loyalty rates because of "trucks". From what I've experienced and heard, not sure I want a turbo or DI. Both can be problematic with age and I still have concern that as the car ages, a turbo will need higher octane fuel, while DI carbons up engines.

Nothing getting premium fuel and a $150 intake/fuel system cleaning service won't take care of every 30K miles.
    Using regular and @ 52K miles with the 2.0T in the '11 OptimaSX. Always use Chevron ProGuard Injector cleaner every 15K.
    No they do not. Very few V6's sold in the last iteration. The turbo four is 259 hp and gets better mileage than the six did.
    No question GM/Ford benefit from loyalty rates of trucks.

I jinxed myself when we were discussing burned out light bulbs. Got in my Ram yesterday and my information display surprised me with a "rear tail light out" message.

I was originally like crap, those are LED, but it turns out the 3rd brake light on the back of the cab is burned out and it doesn't have an LED bulb. Only lasted a little over a year. Oh well, truck is going in for a oil change and tire rotation at the dealer on Monday and I'll let them replace it.

@Andre Ford both Ford and GM dropped a v6 option for the Fusion and Malibu. I don't know if that was a good move or not, as it doesn't seem like the turbo models of both models offer the mileage or performance of a v6 Camry or Accord.

As for DI/Turbos I'd wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

As for octane, most engines will run fine on regular. Chrysler recommends 89 octane for the Hemi in my Ram. I've run 87,89, and 91 and I can't tell a difference. Anymore, the only time I bother to use 89, is if I'm going to be towing on a hot day over long distances.
    I noticed Audi has an ever growing list of "wear & tear" items not covered by the 4 year 50K warranty. I think they all fall on a 1 year/12K warranty, and I haven't looked, but I'd be afraid "light bulbs" would be on it (though not the LED headlights). I think the growing list of "exclusions" is penny wise and pound foolish. However, I only had one bulb go out in almost 8 years on the old '06 A3, and it was the brake light and it happened well after the 4 year 50K warranty. The best warranty is one you don't have to ever use!
    Yeah, the DRL bulb went out after 6 years 80K miles on the CR-V. My daughter just let me know the other one just went! How uncanny!

Guess I'm jinxed liked D1! There goes another $8 ;)
    If the dealer doesn't cover it I won't be surprised or complain, not that big of a deal IMO.
    Batteries aren't a big deal to me either. Changed the perfectly fine 4 YO battery in my wife's CX-9 last month just to be on the safe side. I haven't changed the tires yet because the BS 20" tires have about half their tread life left after 45K miles.

The CX-9 has never seen the dealer since new. B)
    edited January 2015
    At over $100 a pop, I'd rather they last longer than not. ;)

My '08 Cobalt still has its original and sits out all the time. I had it tested a few months back for free and the guy said, "I wouldn't replace this battery".
    edited January 2015

My '08 Cobalt still has its original and sits out all the time. I had it tested a few months back for free and the guy said, "I wouldn't replace this battery".

I did replace mine, mostly because it is was 85 miles away if it did give trouble. Go Bucks--today is the celebration at Ohio Stadium for the Champions!

But that 08 battery was also fine. It never gave a slow start in the coldest weather at home the previous winter, at least slower than the outside temps would indicate. I told the guy at Autozone that battery was in good shape in case whoever removes their core batteries for them salvages the ones that are known good to sell as used.

The batteries are nominally $150. I happened to note that Autozone had sent me a 20% off coupon because I was a 'Zoner on their club list. I can't recall if the batteries were on sale as well or not,but they have Johnson Controls made batteries. Let me remind folks, if you change your own batteries, use a saver of some kind to maintain your voltage. I forgot that Cobalt had more electronics than my 03 leSabre and dropping the voltage for 30 seconds to switch connections let the tire pressure monitor lose its memory. Had to reset the tire monitors.

The charging system seems to be more gentle when it starts up and begins to increase the voltage to charge and maintain the battery. It's like the Malibu's system and my neighbor's STS's system. And the batteries are in the trunk which removes them from the heat and cold extremes in the engine compartment. The battery lasted long than the one in my leSabre. I changed that one at the first hint of a slower cranking speed.

The '11 Optima battery lasted 3.5 years and then I had to change it. The SX has more options than not so I would expect it's life to be on the shorter side.

Part of routine maintenance, afic. I still go with DieHard. Sears hooks up a machine so you don't loose your settings.
    edited January 2015
    I wonder who makes DieHards this year? Looks like Johnson Controls currently, except for the Platinums. (per Wiki)

That machine is a battery saver or memory saver. Some are 9 volt batteries that fit into the power port. Last I looked you could buy them for $10 and up. The fancy shop ones probably last longer than the 9v battery would. All mechanics should use one these days to save your computer savings unless they are intentionally trying to make the system relearn them. Saving your radio presets is a bonus too.

Oh, and they are really nice if your radio locks up if the battery gets disconnected. Saves the time of digging out the code and reentering it.

I do feel having the battery in the trunk has extended the life. My daughter's PT has had batteries wear out far-more quickly. My other daughter's '09 Cobalt, built in Nov. '08 is still on its original battery and it tested fine too. Her car has AT, PW, and PDL that mine doesn't, but does not have ABS as mine does. It was advertised as having it on the eBay listing but I anticipated it would not. The seller of that car was a complete clown and his experience in getting the car to me was a Seinfeld episode, but at $5,501 in August '13 and with a few months left on the powertrain warranty, I did OK. I still get free Sirius/XM in it every so often.
    I tend to average about 8 years with a battery. If I ever get a new ride that will change. With all the electrical devices constantly using a little bit of juice even when the car is off, you start getting weird gremlins as the battery ages. It may seem fine but more people are proactively replacing batteries these days to avoid having their gauges and electronics go haywire. Five years seems to be the new norm.
    Just got an offer to buy my 2008 Cobalt from a city Chevy dealer for $3990. That's only for the highest trim level and below average mileage they say so the price would go down.

Autotrader shows a price nearer $10,000 is meaningful. Duh.
    LT2 with 2LT package I believe is the way it's optioned. It's got
    under 50,000 miles. But that will soon change as son drives from
    Columbus to a work site on his job on daily basis.

Yes, saw saw a weird gremlin on the CX-9 starting a few months back and now are gone after battery change. (TC light went on and then off again after restart.)
    I'd think having the battery in the trunk would extend it's life on average.

In my experience, battery life is a crap shoot. Among our vehicles and recreational toys I have 13 lead acid batteries to maintain. I've had some last a long time and others not so long. How they are used and maintained play a big role.

I bought my daughter an 09 Corolla Xrs with 9k miles on it back in June. The carfax showed it had 2 battery replacements under warranty. It was a college students car from out of the country so it sat a lot. My guess is that's what killed the previous two batteries. We've not had any issues thus far.
    "Edmunds.com has predicted automakers will sell 1,155,866 new cars and light trucks this month for an estimated Seasonally Adjusted Annual Rate (SAAR) of 16.7m."

US: Edmunds sees a January sales rise (just-auto.com)
    I guess I'm just a cheapskate. The most I've ever paid for a car or truck was about $27k.