Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Caliber Engine Problems

1235»

Comments

• vanstephvansteph Member Posts: 5
    Well, I should have known better than to say "there were no more problems." The stalling began again last night. Taking it back to the dealership. To paraphrase Michael Corleone: "Every time I think I'm out, it pulls me back in." Will post more when I find out anything.
    Problem persists -- I'm thinking it might have something to do with the powertrain control module (pcm). Has anyone had any experience with the pcm being the cause?
  • gerry31gerry31 Member Posts: 4
    Dodge issued a recall on some of the 2009 Caliber pcms for a defect that "can cause the engine to stall and result in a crash without warning."(Dodge Safety Recall H330).

I still have some stalling issues on my Caliber. To paraphrase Quentin Tarantino, What's on my mind right now ain't the coffee in my kitchen, it's the unreliable Dodge Caliber in my garage.
  • djdeanodjdeano Member Posts: 2
  • djdeanodjdeano Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Dodge Caliber R/T. Recently the key fob stopped working. Had it checked, it still sends a signal but not to car. When I shut off the car and pull the key out, open the door, it starts beeping and says the key is in the ignition. Can anyone tell me why this is? And what my fix may be?
  • 08caliber08caliber Member Posts: 1
    I had this same problem: they found that the wheelwell wasn't sealed properly behind the drivers side tire and water was coming back into the car. Once this was sealed correctly I haven't had any problems for the last 3 years.
    At about 70k miles I needed a new alternator. Had it replaced. Seemed to resolve the problem. That was 3k miles/3 months ago.
  • haighthaight Member Posts: 1
    So my wife bought this thing that dodge calls a car. ( she bought it before we met ofcourse). Everything worked great on the car until I came into her life. Go figure. Starte dwith one wheel bearing. Then it turned into 3 more. Then full control arms with ball joint s ( twice). Then a starter. Just when we thought the car was good for a while ( until its usual mantainence ( ball joints, tie rods that kind of stuff). But clearly I was wrong. Now the front end has to be done again ( did it about 10k ago). Then the struts went ( all 4). But the worst problem is that it randomly stalls.( not just a stall though it will turn off andwont start up for about 20 minutes).Thats how it started. Now it got to the point where it wont start at all and its sitting in my garage. Had it to several dodge dealerships and the only thing they can tell me is that the components of the car are talking but the computer isnt responding. Now I have worked on all of my own vehicles but refuse to touch this crap. They keep sending me off. But now to get it there it needs to be towed. Now I have checked all the usual problems. The fuel pump and wiring, the harness under the battery, the ignition, all the wiring from inside and out. Can someone please help me cuz we have 1 year left on this car for payments and I have given up hope with dodge. P.s sorry for the life story
  • justagirl_justagirl_ Member Posts: 1
    Haight-Mine has had the same problem and we replaced the computer! Now we are trying to see if maybe the alternator is the problem , sounds far fetched , but I'll try anything at this point!!
  • bizzar721bizzar721 Member Posts: 1
    I have had nothing but problems with my 07 caliber since day one. I even wrote a long letter to Dodge about my issues where it became apparent that no one at Dodge had the slightest care in the world to try to make things right.  I posted my letter online for everyone to read.  I scanned all my work orders and will upload them all as well.  I have replaced everything from the transmission to nearly EVERY part of the front end suspension.  My blog isn't too hard to remember:
    https://dodgesucks.wordpress.com
    I came across this forum while trying to diagnose another issue that surfaced which is a loud rumbling when i shift into reverse,  & then stays when i am still holding the break and shift back into park.  (It goes away when I bring the rpm's up) Any hints to point me in the right direction is appreciated. I am going to start with cleaning the throttle body. 
  • graphite07graphite07 Member Posts: 1
    my 2007 dodge caliber lost the motor last Sunday no compression. it only has 170,469 miles on it. never drove it hard always changed the oil and filter. was driven 16 miles daily and thats it. day one from the dealership it had front end alignment problems. and when driving it it shows the emergency brake on and the light flashing and dinging and its not on, if you move the center console a certain way the light goes out. the dealership never wanted to fix the problem!! if you rest your arm on the center console the Emergency brake light will flash and ding at you but like i said if you move the console or push a certain way the light goes off. Dodge never wanted to fix this problem.now it seems my motor is dead. i had it since 2007 (NEW) now the motor is dead....... dodge never wanted to fix any of the problems. they always told me they could not find anything wrong or its not doing it for the tech............ I WILL NEVER BUY A DODGE AGAIN. OR VISIT FOWLER DODGE AT 55 W INTERSTATE 240 SERVICE Rd Oklahoma city OK 73139........ the service department never wanted to help with warranty issues's. right after the factory warranty expired they was all over my Email and cell phone telling me bring it we can look at it for a fee and get it fixed for a fee.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well if it's any consolation, and presuming you didn't put a whole lotta money into it, at 170K the car went further than a lot of cars do.

What happened, or don't you know yet? If it's an otherwise nice clean car, you might consider a used engine--but only another 2007, to avoid electronics hassles.