Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner Vibrations

124»

Comments

• lemonragelemonrage Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 4Runner Limited. Bought 7 months ago. Vibrates at 65 MPH...This seems to be a huge problem!!! I've bought new tires, new rims, transmission mount, and had the tires balanced 50 times...Toyota needs to own up to this! I've gone to three Toyota dealerships and they can't figure it out! Contacted Toyota Customer Service, didn't do much, so I opened a BBB case. I recommend every one doing that. I will try the u-joints, and needle bearing. Thank you!
  • bogchiebogchie Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem, when i drive on a freeway from 55 - 70 mph. it start to vibrate , it feels that it's in the transmission or wheel bearing to me .when i tried to observe it . the engine runs smoothly . I have 4runner 96 limited. I hope it's only the u-joint ..

Any help or good advice?
  • slemaire195slemaire195 Member Posts: 1
    My friend has a 1996 Toyota 4 Runner that does this weird vibrating when we drive on the highway. It starts when he gets up to speeds of 73+ and continues when he sets the cruise control at 80 MPH. When he cancels the cruise, the vibrating stops. He said it started doing this about 3 months ago.

I have a 2007 Toyota Tacoma that JUST started the same weird vibrating under the same driving conditions. It has about 76,000 miles on it and I noticed it today (8/6/10) when I drove to Lake Charles, about 80 miles.

His sister has a 2006 Toyota Camry that makes similar vibrations under the exact same conditions. She noticed it a week ago.

I'm going to ask them about it when I make my appointment to fix the recalled accelerator. Does anyone know what the warranty on Toyotas are? Sounds like a Toyota conspiracy going on...
  • bengal2bengal2 Member Posts: 2
    Wow

I was thinking of buying a 95 to 2000 era 4runner, thinking toyota is a can't miss.
    Found many in my area, mn. All ads mentioned new tires brakes rotors etc.
    I thought that unusual so I googled. Found vibration issue.
    I've read 100's of complaints from most veh. With 50k to 200k miles. The issue
    Seems to cover at least 15yrs. Of 4runners.
    Now I know most owners don't do prevent. Maint. Like grease wheel bearings etc.
    But this seemed more than that.
    A lot of owners had firestone tires. Some replaced more then once. Many went
    With diff. Manuf. Name brand ie. Goodyr. Etc. Same prob.
    A bad lot of tires from same comp. Maybe but not so many different ones with
    Tire separation bulging etc.
    What caught me was the severity. These virations are shaking the suspension and
    Related parts so much they prematurly wearout and cause accidents.
    I wonder about or if toyota went cheap to save money per unit.
    I wonder if the spindles and axels and hence their bearings are under sized for the
    Weight of the vehicle. If the bearings are cheap and with 16 and 17 inch wheels
    And off road tires the road vibrations from the tires wobbles the bearings
    Then all the related suspension fails. Wheel hub seals fail which caused brake failure. I wonder if the shocks are undersized for the veh. As well.
    These issues are in the tacoma and camery as well.
    Those are both much lighter vehs. Then a 4runner and no way are parts
    interchangable.
    If toyota saves 5cents on 1 part used 4 times in a million or more veh.
    You do the math.
    Would be interested to know what you find out or your thoughts on my
    Theory.

Begal2
  • bengal2bengal2 Member Posts: 2
    I was thinking of buying a 4runner.
    I did some googling.
    If I had a vibrating veh. I wouldn't drive it much till it got fixed.
    The 100's of complaints I've read none were good out comes before accidents.
    Normal cars require front wheels be repacked every few yrs or more freq.
    Dep. On conditions. If bearings or spindles are worn replace them.
    A bigger rig 4runner might be anually or so.
    Tires are supposed to be higher qual. Then they were 50yrs ago.
    Tire tread separation bulging etc. Not acceptable.
    Most front end align. Shops have an electric motor with a
    Rubber wheel attached.
    They jack your car up wheels off the ground and use the elecric motor
    To spin your wheels up to speed. If you have wheel issues it should find it.
    Dyno shops can test the veh. Performance at all speeds with the hood up
    And drive wheels spinning under all types of loads.
    Lastly
    If you have tires with a large counter weight or combination of,
    Over 1.5 to 2.0 oz. Get another tire there is probably a defect in it.

I want to get a toyota but not with these serious issues
    If I helped your issue post what you tried. Maybe it will sway me

Bengal2
  • 4runners4runners Member Posts: 6
    you really need to check your u-joint. I have the same vibration problem at 70mph. visual looking at the u-joint and shaking the drive shaft, but seem to look and feel tight and a few months of continue driving I heard scrapting noise - come and go. I re-check and notice that the u-joint has a bad metal seal ( near the transmission output side. I replaced it, but the vibration was still there, but at 60 mph this time. I took it for a wheel alignment because it was drifting and my new tire is balling unevenly. It still vibrate after the alignment. I was upset and decided to change the rear u-join bearing near the rear differential out too. This time I check to make sure that my shaft and joint are assemble correctly and it was. I also decided to change the rear differential fluid this time. I used 80w90 gear oil . The old fluid look dark compare to the new. I geased the end of spline shaft and it's mating part well and connected it back to the transmission and the other end to the rear differential. This is my wife car. I didn't test drive it after a week I re-assemble the shaft. She did most of the driving and she does not take the vehicle on the freeway. if she did, she wouldn't know anything even if the tire come off. I have re-built the engine twice - thanks to her. Anyway, I took it on the freeway today and notice that the vibration was gone. i tested at 80mph and no vibration.

Conclusion: changed u-joints (front and rear), gear fluid did it.

I fixed 4runner error code 71 (egr system check engine) It was annoying, but I finally fixed it by replacing the modulador. A stupid piece of round plastice device with vacumm port and cost almost $300 at the dealer, but I stoleone from one of the vehicle at the junk way and it worked.
  • 98runner198runner1 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same issue. Did replacing the U joint and bearing fix the issue?
  • boseedboseed Member Posts: 1
    Did you check rear driveline for straight and balance after accident if not I would check there!
  • thedrivingguythedrivingguy Member Posts: 2
    2000 4Runner SR5 2wd
    Original owner, 200k miles
    Brakes done a month ago
    Just replaced all 4 tires + struts & shocks
    Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A P265/70R16

Had serious vibe problems at 60 > 80 before this work.
    Mostly went away but first fwy speeds today and still have have a pretty noticeable vibe at the same speeds when I coast.

From what I've read here it sounds like my first step is to have the U joints checked.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks
  • 4runners4runners Member Posts: 6
    Determine the where the vibration is coming from. If you feel it at the front, check your tire balance, re- balance if neccessary. Check your control arm bushing and steering linkage. If it come from under where driver is then i would say it is the universal joint. You have to remove to inspect or replace. When it on the truck it feel tight because it lock to the rear differential and the transmission.
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    If the vibration is only occurring when you coast and not when accelerating slightly, then the problem is very likely U joints. The drive angle of the rear axle changes depending on how much power you put through the axle. Any change in power changes the pinion angle (relative to the driveshaft) and if the U joints are worn, they will not turn smoothly - hence the vibration.

BTW, tire and other wheel end related vibrations will be there no matter what you do to the accelerator.
  • thedrivingguythedrivingguy Member Posts: 2
    re my post #165 "Vibe when coasting @ fwy speeds"

@ 4runners & capriracer

Thanks much for the quick replies!
    I'll check the areas you recommend
  • 07_4r_limited07_4r_limited Member Posts: 1
    I have an 07 4Runner, Limited, V6, 89,000 miles on it - the vehicle doesn't have ANY problem, no vibrations, no buzzing. The only thing I would change is that I don't like the leather seats and I wish I had got the V8 because I want to buy a small camper.
  • kmm2007kmm2007 Member Posts: 1

I have a 2007 4Runner SR5 V6 with 104 K Miles on it, i have recently felt the vibrations when i speed up to 40 miles (around 40 miles marker) and then they go away instantly when i speed up to 60~90 miles. I have this problem since a month now, at first i thought this could be due to the winter driving in Canada with my Hercules winter tires. But i am experiencing on my Michelin Cross Terrain All seasons (3/12 tread depth) as well.

Its time for me to get new tires and i am going for Continental CrossContact LX20 Tire 265/70R16SL with ECO Plus Technology, i hope this turns out to be a good tire for the SUV as i don't want to invest too much on Michelin's since i already have a separate set of Winters.

What i was told that if i am speeding upto 40 miles and the vibrations happen, i should shift into Neutral immediately and if they go away then it has something to do with powertrain of the vehicle. Not sure, any suggestions, comments or recommendations for Vibrations and Tires?

• melrosianmelrosian Member Posts: 1
    I can only speak for my experience. I had bad vibration at 65 mph even after new tires, alignment and balance. It was still the same. My usual repair shop sent me to another repair shop that specialized in drive shaft issues. The other repair shop said my drive shaft U-joints were worn.
    So they fixed the U-joints and removed and subbed out the drive shaft to a machine shop to re-balance the actual drive shaft. Total bill, $350 for everything. Went on a recent trip (12/2014) to San Antonio from Boston. The thing was so smooth and effortless at 80 mph.
    Until then there had been a lot of vibration through the gear shift and from the back. I love older 4Runners and probably will not get rid of my 2001, ever!
  • mclain0502mclain0502 Member Posts: 1
    Well I have just purchased a 2015 4runner Limited and guess what? It has the same exact vibration issue that has been described on here. Unbelievable but true. The same issue described by JOKOL2. Vibration when accelerating or under load like on the freeway at higher speeds. Does is at lower speeds as well but not as noticeable. Let off the accelerator and it goes away, give it gas and it returns. Doesnt sound like I have much hope as I have read what others have gone through. Its amazing to me that this is like 9 years later. Anyways, took it to Dealership and they said its normal?? I think Toyota should put a sticker on the 4runner that says "DO NOT BUY THIS CAR IF YOU DONT LIKE ANNOYING VIBRATIONS IN STEERING WHEEL". Wouldnt that be considerate. I have test drove another limited and an SR5 and they do the EXACT same thing!!!! Funny thing too is its my wifes rig and it doesnt bother her just like JOKOL2. She did say however that after a long trip she took recently her hands were numb. Well it bugs the hell out of me. Every time I get out from driving it I just shake my head. Its sad because I paid $43,500 for this piece of you know what. We did have an issue at 216 miles. The power steering failed and needed a new pump. When this happened I thought that must have been whats making the vibration and when we get it back it will be better....NOT!! Not sure I can ever get used to this annoyance. Its depressing because its a nice looking, quiet, and smooth car. The vibration really ruins the ride.You know you really hate something when it overwhelms your thoughts and the thought of trading it in and losing $8000 seems like an option. I hate most dealerships and am not looking forward to messing with this......
  • riptide99riptide99 Member Posts: 1
    Vibrations can come from strange places, and anything that turns is a possible source. I put up with an front end vibration that eluded me for several years after buying a used 4runner. Turned out to be a defective front brake disk that had been improperly machined. Found it when resurfacing the disks, and the machinist noticed that one of them did not appear concentric...... I changed to a new set of disks and 'problem solved'!

Also, I've heard that wheels are occasionally found to be drilled off-center. It does not take much, so, add in the effects of tire balancing on a hub-concentric machine, and you can have a problem that's difficult to traced.