Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Vegas Road Trip Impressions - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited January 2015 in Volkswagen
imageVegas Road Trip Impressions - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

I took the 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI on a road trip to Las Vegas. Here are my impressions and fuel economy numbers.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    chol92594chol92594 Member Posts: 208
    Hard to say exactly because I haven't driven a new Golf, but the 1.8T models are fairly powerful and I feel like they'd be sufficient for most people wanting a sporty but comfortable daily driver. It's not GTI quick, but it's certainly powerful enough. I guess it all comes down to how much the extra power and capability is worth to buyers. If you just want a commuter car that's fun to drive, the standard 1.8T models are fine. If you're really a driving enthusiast and plan to get the most out of a Golf, then a GTI might be a better pick. It's nice that you can now get a lot of the features that used to be reserved for the GTI (xenon headlights, for example) on the standard Golf. I think that will influence some people to stick with a standard Golf instead of paying extra for the GTI.
  • Options
    emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    edited January 2015
    I don't know quite what to think of the DSG. The MkVI I drove with something like 10 miles on the odometer was completely infuriating. Laggy, slow to downshift, quick to upshift, and Sport mode just made it manic. Then I tried a 2015 and found it much more responsive and with less lag from a stop. Don't know what to make of that discrepancy, I would need a couple of really long test drives to decide if it is acceptable. I do know it's a stupid transmission for a TDI, though.
  • Options
    DebunkerDebunker Member Posts: 49
    I've got a 2015 GTI, and I was going to order the DSG until I test drove it. Slow to respond around town, so very much a drag. I got the manual, and it's a real pleasure. As for the ride, I continue to believe that it's your summer tires. I have all-seasons and the ride is quite ok. And I'm an old guy.
  • Options
    darexdarex Member Posts: 187
    Have you driven the MINI Cooper much? I'd be very curious how you'd have found it by comparison, had you taken it on this trip, instead. Mine's a manual, but from all I've read, the automatic seems to be very well sorted out and liked.
  • Options
    grijongrijon Member Posts: 147
    I'd be happy with the 1.8T.
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    I think you are right. In the days of the 2.5l 5cyl, the TDI or the GTI were really the only versions I would have considered. But with the 1.8 now available, it is definitely the version I would opt for, it ticks all the important boxes in my flat, curving road free, Chicago traffic congested urban life.
  • Options
    I would not have been able to consider the regular Golf, because of the packaging, which does not allow you to have the options of the GTI Autobahn-trim, AND a manual transmission, unlike MINI, which allows you to have the car any which way you want.
  • Options
    rm2008rm2008 Member Posts: 31
    darex said:

Have you driven the MINI Cooper much? I'd be very curious how you'd have found it by comparison, had you taken it on this trip, instead. Mine's a manual, but from all I've read, the automatic seems to be very well sorted out and liked.

darex, I have driven the Mini Cooper. The automatic transmission isn't perfect, but I'd give it the slight edge. It has an even stiffer ride than the GTI though.

-Ron Montoya, Consumer Advice Editor
  • Options
    dgcamerodgcamero Member Posts: 148
    darex said:

I would not have been able to consider the regular Golf, because of the packaging, which does not allow you to have the options of the GTI Autobahn-trim, AND a manual transmission, unlike MINI, which allows you to have the car any which way you want.

Yeah, it's ridiculous that you can't get a decent Golf with a manual. I am tired of not changing gears, and the 18" minimum wheels are going to get bent on a monthly basis. The DSG is weird until you get used to it. The pull away from a stop takes some getting used to, but mine is still very responsive even in drive, tho it is quite happy to lolligag in 6th gear. Sport mode is unusable unless you are truly racing, where it is almost telepathically perfect.
  • Options
    dgcamero said:

darex said:

Yeah, it's ridiculous that you can't get a decent Golf with a manual. I am tired of not changing gears, and the 18" minimum wheels are going to get bent on a monthly basis. .
    Low-profile tires on 18" rims are a stupid fad that needs to stop (you listening, VW and KIA?). They are incompatible with real-life city living. I purposefully got 16" rims with my MINI Cooper, and I'll bet that had Edmunds done the same, their experience of a "stiff ride" would be very different, too.
  • Options
    pg123456789pg123456789 Member Posts: 11
    Despite how everyone seems to worship this car, I think that it's just in a no mans land. It tries to be good at everything, and this makes it very competent, but emotionless and sterile car. The ride is firm, but not totally sporty enough. The car is quiet but not luxury quiet. The car handles very well, but is not as fun or involving as some. Fit and finish are superficially good until you realise that it rattles, shows up the paint on the door frames and instruments that catch the sun, dirt and dust (downward sloping plastic/glass). The car is fast, but performance is not notable. At least a Focus ST is fun and involving. At least a WRX is a little rough but ready for doing something adventurous regardless of road and weather. At least a Verano 2.0T is quiet and luxurious. At least a Mini provides the cossetting dimensions for go-kart handling and connection with the road. The GTI tries to straddle all of these, and I think this makes for a very competent but characterless car. After having one, I guess the car suits someone who doesn't know what they want?
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Ron, I don't think the EPA highway test simulates a 77 mph trip...sounds to me as though the car could ace the EPA highway test.

Anyone who has complained as many times as you about the GTI's ride should just get theGolf.
    If you would appreciate an extra few mpg, then get the Golf...