Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Adjustable Launch Control - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited January 2015 in Ford
imageAdjustable Launch Control - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

This long-term update to Edmunds 2015 Ford Mustang GT includes details on the car's adjustable launch control system.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    Whoa. So you just mash the gas, it holds x,xxx RPM and you drop the clutch and go? That sounds terrifying and exhilarating..
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    As Top Gear said it perfectly, the fastest car in the world is.. a rental car. Or a long term test car.
  • boffboff Member Posts: 91
    edited January 2015
    I'm surprised that there was no mention of modulating the throttle, even a little...I would have guessed you'd get mondo wheelspin if you just matted the throttle and sidestepped the clutch.
  • boffboff Member Posts: 91
    BTW what rpm did you use for the your best launches?
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    So, are you going to tell the next buyer about these little launch control experiments. Especially since you did it a number of times both WITH and WITHOUT launch control. It won't exactly be the same as those other cars for sale which had 20k of highway driving...
  • chol92594chol92594 Member Posts: 208
    It's great that Ford is allowing for some customization with the launch control, but it would be nice if they also included an Auto setting that let the car determine the best engine speed. You'd think that they'd be able to use data from sensors already present (tire pressure, engine/oil temp, air temp, etc.) along with an option to select the road surface, but programming such a system would probably add some complexity that would increase the cost.

I'd be curious if anyone knows how other launch control systems work (VW/Audi DSG-equpped cars, Porsche models, etc.); do they just stick to a default speed setting, or is there some adaptation/intelligence going on that helps the system determine the best speed?