Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694
    henryn said:

slorenzen said:

All this old technology talk reminds me what I endured as a roving PBX tech in the mid-80's.

Had a thermal paper terminal with audio coupler....300 baud... :p

The horror....the horror...

something-or-other Silent 700? Made by TI (Texas Instruments) ?
    I'd forgotten the model, but yes, I believe you are correct!

Weighed about 12 pounds...
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Kirstie_H said:

and another one... as if you keep your cars that long!
    A reporter seeks to interview the owner of a car from model year 2001-2004 that has problems not yet subject to a recall. Please email PR@edmunds.com to tell your story.

You understand where you posted that, right Kirstie?
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    The 3 is a fantastic car. I'd buy one if I wasn't addicted to horsepower. It's really a car that gets almost everything right.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    @‌ breld

I definitely understand your comments on the Mazda3 and in fact it would be high on my list if I was looking for an economical choice. I keep meaning to go drive one but haven't yet, but the amount of features you get for the price is truly outstanding and that coupled with a great driving experience, seems like it would be hard to beat.

As you said, it's about loving cars, regardless of the price or badge.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    I came close on the 3. But ended up getting swayed this time to a larger car. One thing I did not like was the drivers seat was a smidge small, and no power adjustments. The 6 had a great interior though.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    One thing I didn't mention but really appreciate in the Mazda is the "Command" knob they're putting in their cars. It's one of those minor things that you really get used to - having had them in previous and current BMWs and Audis, I find it much simpler and more comfortable to navigate the knob and buttons with your hand and your arm rested on the armrest, instead of manipulating a touchscreen while driving. Though the Mazda actually offers both the knob and touchscreen functionality.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

edited January 2015
    stickguy said:

I came close on the 3. But ended up getting swayed this time to a larger car. One thing I did not like was the drivers seat was a smidge small, and no power adjustments. The 6 had a great interior though.

Yeah - the 6 might win me over with its greater comfort and room. I bet if I wait for the 2016 model to come out, the much refreshed and updated interior will win me over. I've heard they should be hitting lots around March or April, so not a long wait (even for me :) ). And the S GT model of the Mazda3 does offer power adjustments for the driver's seat, though it's only 6-way.

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    breld said:

One thing I didn't mention but really appreciate in the Mazda is the "Command" knob they're putting in their cars. It's one of those minor things that you really get used to - having had them in previous and current BMWs and Audis, I find it much simpler and more comfortable to navigate the knob and buttons with your hand and your arm rested on the armrest, instead of manipulating a touchscreen while driving. Though the Mazda actually offers both the knob and touchscreen functionality.

The 3 is a top rated drivers car -- It just seems so small and low. After spending more time in my Buick, the Prius is as small as I'll go and it actually is more midsized than compact. When the Prius goes, I'll be looking for something with a "thick" perimeter. Closing in on 70 -- goes with the territory.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    @breld's review sounds great, but that small and low factor is a concern. Maybe we should just keep the van and go back to two cars.
    Steve, in your case, that is what I would do. Keep the van for 'bulk" duty, and get something smallish for everyday duty. best of both worlds!

of course, I would never consider going down to 1 car in my household, so of course I don't think anyone else should do it either.

I didn't want to exaggerate by saying the mazda3 felt similar in dynamics to our past 3-series, but this comment from automobile magazine where they picked the Mazda in a compact sedan comparison is interesting. And this was after they heaped praise on the Jetta 1.8t.

Whether we’re driving a $200,000 luxury sedan or a $20,000 compact car, we can’t help but hope to magically find ourselves behind the wheel of a BMW 3 Series. We’re totally in the Goldilocks mode, looking for something that drives sporty but not too much so. It has to be compact but not small. It has to be affordable but not cheap. It’s not only a miracle that the 2014 Mazda 3 delivers the BMW-style personality that we prefer but also a revelation that any compact sedan meets this lofty standard at all.

I found that article while searching for Jetta vs Mazda3 comparisons. The wife suggested looking at a GLI as another option.

my son still has an obsession about trading his Jetta for the GLI that he really wanted. I think he will ride out the lease (just about to hit his 1 year anniversary) but no guarantee, especially if he starts making even more money!

He will be home next weekend so we can go to the Philly car show. That should get him revved up. Plus he is taking the car in for it's first oil change service, and of course plans to roam around the lot and dealerships (the audi dealer is right next door, and they share the lot). An A3 could attract his eye too, though the GLI should give the same bang for less buck.

He probably should stay out of the Porsche dealer that is right next to the VW store though.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    I'll be in Philly next weekend after a business trip to NY all week.  Looking forward to the Auto Show with my Dad on Saturday if all goes to plan!
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    We are going the weekend after. Nice that they do it over 2 weekends to give you a choice.

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    That Jetta GLI is really a lot of fun. I just wish it were a little less expensive. They really charge a big premium to upgrade from the 1.8T to the 2.0T engine.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    That is true. used to be a big deal going from the 2.5l 5, but now, not so much. There are some other upgrades of course, but dynamically, not close to what it used to be.

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    If they would sell me a Passat with the 2.0T engine for under $25k, I would be driving one right now. But they won't sell me a Passat with the 2.0T for any price, so...

That leaves the Jetta. I can get a Jetta with the 1.8T engine for around $21k, but add the 2.0T engine, all of a sudden it's $28k?
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    henryn said:
    That Jetta GLI is really a lot of fun. I just wish it were a little less expensive. They really charge a big premium to upgrade from the 1.8T to the 2.0T engine.
    The Jetta Sport may be an option. It lacks some of the features but is supposed to have a sport suspension and bigger wheels. I'm not sure they made many of them though. 
    Yeah - that Jetta Sport seems like a great option. Some may even prefer the standard 6-speed auto vs. the DSG (if you go the auto route). Even comes standard with navigation.

I'll probably take a look at the GLI. Local dealers seem short on the 2015 model right now - even have some leftover "30th Anniversary" model left, which I like too. Right now, I might want something more differentiated from the wife's GTI, hence the Mazda3. Not to mention the GLI does a great impression of the GTI, but doesn't quite live up to it in the driving dynamics area (in my opinion).

edited January 2015
    My 2007 MS3 isn't as polished or well-appointed as the current Mazda3 but I think it also delivers an exceptional driving experience- like BMW used to offer. Some excerpts from the December 2007 Car and Driver:

It booms, it whooshes, it wails. It demands that your best sweaty-palmed driving skills be applied to the light steering and alloy pedals, and it rewards, delivering a type of demonic, antisocial fun in the same vein as burning ants with a magnifying glass.

Based on a low-priced car, the Mazdaspeed 3 never feels cheap. Nor is it uncomfortable.

Indeed, the Mazda's worst offense is its ability to generate repeated court summonses.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    stickguy said:

We are going the weekend after. Nice that they do it over 2 weekends to give you a choice.

Yep. My Dad and I had gone every year for my entire life (even when I was in diapers) until I moved to Seattle, so I'm glad I get to make it back for this year.

Plus, I'm starting the early hunt to replace my wife's 2011 Mazda3 with something a bit more family friendly. We'll likely flip it in the next year or so. On the list right now are the Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring, Honda CR-V Touring, Ford Escape and the BMW X1.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756

It booms, it whooshes, it wails. It demands that your best sweaty-palmed driving skills be applied to the light steering and alloy pedals, and it rewards, delivering a type of demonic, antisocial fun in the same vein as burning ants with a magnifying glass.

Based on a low-priced car, the Mazdaspeed 3 never feels cheap. Nor is it uncomfortable.

Indeed, the Mazda's worst offense is its ability to generate repeated court summonses.

Where did that writer go? We need more articles with this sort of imagery!

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Aaron Robinson wrote that article. Here's Patrick Bedard's take on the MS3 from the May 2007 Car and Driver:

When it comes to power toys, anything worth doing is worth overdoing. Yeehaw! The 263 turbo horses tug at the steering and bust the front tires loose at silly speeds. The colossal brakes absorb speed like a Jell-O embankment. The driver's chair is deeply cupped in the backrest, just right for those Immelmann turns you've always wanted to try. The exhaust booms, the wind rushes, a shower of stones seems always to clatter off the belly. Everything in this car happens in italics.

It's fun. Of course, the numbers are heroic — 101 mph in the quarter-mile at 14 seconds flat, 151-mph top speed. But the fun is deeper than extralegal velocities. The machinery works. The six-speed loves to play. The steering is always entertaining, passing along just enough unruliness to hint at an outlaw spirit, but not enough to confirm it.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Mazda3 is a great vehicle and much better now but the big snout and the smallish speedometer kept the wife from getting another one in December as it came down to it and the A3. I even considered one in the lighter blue color but again, that long hood and short rear deck just killed it for me. The safety features really are spectacular at this price point which says a lot for where the car industry as a whole is going. But once the wife opened the door to a German vehicle, and liking her A3 so much, the best alternative for me was the new 2015 Golf, and one spin around the block had me hooked, after that, nothing else I drove could compare. Really did want the Lexus CT, went back on three different days to test drive them and even brought the wife but just wasn't meant to be I guess...and looking back, glad it didn't pan out. For my needs, I got a vehicle that just checked all the boxes...end of story!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Mazda3 is a great vehicle and much better now but the big snout and the smallish speedometer kept the wife from getting another one in December as it came down to it and the A3. I even considered one in the lighter blue color but again, that long hood and short rear deck just killed it for me. The safety features really are spectacular at this price point which says a lot for where the car industry as a whole is going. But once the wife opened the door to a German vehicle, and liking her A3 so much, the best alternative for me was the new 2015 Golf, and one spin around the block had me hooked, after that, nothing else I drove could compare. Really did want the Lexus CT, went back on three different days to test drive them and even brought the wife but just wasn't meant to be I guess...and looking back, glad it didn't pan out. For my needs, I got a vehicle that just checked all the boxes...end of story!

Sandy, be careful when you say "End of story ." on this site. ;)

Sandy, I just got the latest issue of Consumer's reports. They included a Golf SE in the car review. I think it got an 85. they really liked it.

No doubt the Golf/GTI is a great car - not to put too much weight on reviews and car mag ratings, but I don't think there's any comparison that it hasn't come out on top. And all that is corroborated by owners' experiences here.

I keep telling my wife that if she hadn't chosen the GTI, that would probably be the easy choice for me in my current endeavor. I promise her I hold no resentment over that and I'm just happy to have one in the fleet. And it opens up the door for other choices too.

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    There are certainly worse fates in the world than having two GTIs.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    I agree - there are just enough other cars I'm interested in that I'd just as soon have the variety.

fezo said:

There are certainly worse fates in the world than having two GTIs.

Don't worry. It will only be a temporary situation.

You think?

I'm kind of waiting on the upcoming Mazdaspeed 3.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    there is always something new coming along to be interested in.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    @breld‌

Did you read the long term 20K wrap up on the Mazda 3s GT 6MT here on edmunds? Looks like it will suit you just fine & you'll be hey with it.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

edited January 2015
    Here's the Mazda3 wrap-up link.

It's funny that we have "both" of Sandy's cars and "some" of @breld's cars in the Edmunds fleet (well, a 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI and the 2015 Audi A3).

And didn't someone in here get a Mustang recently?
    @nyccarguy‌

I did just read that, as well as the previous posts. Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like they had some growing pains with some squeaks and rattles, but nothing too bad, and hopefully issues resolved after the initial 2014 model year.

edited January 2015
    Went to the Louisville auto show with some friends tonight. It's now a "no sales" show but there seemed to be dealership employees on the grounds and there were a ton of dealership business cards strewn all over the place. So, still rather tacky. Acura, Audi, Jaguar, and Land Rover were conspicuously absent.

Random thoughts: Pretty much all of the full-size pickups are insanely huge. The Chevrolet Colorado was very impressive, but the one on the floor stickered for a whopping $35k. I kind of liked the Highlander for some reason? The Volvo XC60 seems very small, like a CR-V for $20k more. I was impressed with Subaru's interiors. Hated the Mercedes CLA. MItsubishi had a sad little display. It's funny how some older designs like the Traverse/Enclave/Acadia and Edge have updated infotainment and backup cameras tacked on.
  • oldbearcatoldbearcat Member Posts: 197
    I went to the Charleston, WV, auto show, and, my thoughts were pretty much the same. Lots of huge trucks, very little of the high end cars. The show just seemed to lack pizzaz. Did stop and look a $33K Honda CRV Touring. Just not my cup of tea. I also looked at the new little M-B CUV, and, wife and I just didn't like the looks of it.

Regards:
    Oldbearcat
    I stopped by a Dodge dealer today and sat in a Challenger R/T Plus(meaning heated/ventilated front seats, heated wheel, and several other gadgets). I really like the retro/modern style- to me the interior doesn't appear or feel as cheap as qbrozen found it to be. It seemed at least as nice as the 135i M Sport I looked at yesterday. Unfortunately, the Challenger I sat in was loaded up with all the nanny options plus a hole in the roof. In any event I honestly think I'd need to move up to the R/T Scat Pack, which gets you the 6.4 liter motor and Brembos. Car and Driver just tested an R/T 5.7 manual and it is only a couple of tenths faster 0-60 and in the quarter than a stock 2007 Mazdaspeed 3- so it's hardly a rocket ship.
    Rats!

Gotta hold out for that next Mazdaspeed I'm really hoping the do a the speed treatment on the 6 again. A hatch or wagon 6 is too much to hope for.

If I end up in a GTI it's Mazda's fault.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,056
    fezo said:

Gotta hold out for that next Mazdaspeed I'm really hoping the do a the speed treatment on the 6 again. A hatch or wagon 6 is too much to hope for.

fezo - I too am intrigued by the new Speed 3, especially if it's AWD. Hope they keep the price competitive - meaning high 20's to start and low 30's optioned up.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    edited January 2015
    corvette said:

Went to the Louisville auto show with some friends tonight. It's now a "no sales" show but there seemed to be dealership employees on the grounds and there were a ton of dealership business cards strewn all over the place. So, still rather tacky. Acura, Audi, Jaguar, and Land Rover were conspicuously absent.

Random thoughts: Pretty much all of the full-size pickups are insanely huge. The Chevrolet Colorado was very impressive, but the one on the floor stickered for a whopping $35k. I kind of liked the Highlander for some reason? The Volvo XC60 seems very small, like a CR-V for $20k more. I was impressed with Subaru's interiors. Hated the Mercedes CLA. MItsubishi had a sad little display. It's funny how some older designs like the Traverse/Enclave/Acadia and Edge have updated infotainment and backup cameras tacked on.

Most auto shows are usually staffed by local dealer sales staff and a manufacturer rep. They are typically less aggressive than when working in a dealership.

The Colorado/Canyon is well over $40k in Canada when optioned with everything, which is quite steep for a "small truck".

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

Back in the day, the Louisville auto show allowed sales on the floor. All kinds of cubicles strewn about for working deals. "You'll get a better deal if you buy at the auto show," etc. Truly annoying. It's better now that they don't allow sales.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    so I finished that issue of motor trend discussed here recently. I was quite surprised at the finishing results of the minivan comparison. As much as they bashed the Nissan in the article, they still gave it the rank above the T&C. I don't know what it is with the reviews of the T&C and why it gets bashed so much. They even said it is a great value... yet it finishes last. I don't really get it.

I guess we just have different priorities. When buying a minivan, my priorities are versatility and kid friendliness (go figure!). For example, having to fold or move the middle row to get into the 3rd row rules out a van immediately for us. It completely defeats the purpose and we might as well buy an SUV at that point. So that punts the Honda to the bottom. And removing seats altogether? You've got to be kidding me? I remember having to do that with my mom's 1980 Chevy C20. No way I'm regressing 35 years! So I believe that kills the Sienna. And, while the Nissan's seats all fold flat, they really cut into cargo room since the resulting floor is about up to the door armrests. I can give the Kia a pass since at least they offer seats that stand up straight against the backs of the front seats. Still takes up some room, but it appears tolerable. The sad RSE in the Kia (there's that pesky kid friendliness problem again) and high price for a fully loaded example ($45k) is what kept me away from it when we were shopping, although I sure like the looks for it (for a minivan).

So, onto the wrap-up of the CTS Vsport. Hey, same color as mine, too. I was hoping for a more in-depth review. It was pretty brief and not terribly informative. Although its good to know they were pleased with the reliability over 20k miles, and I suppose the reviewers summation is the best part ... "there are very few long-term testers I miss when they are gone. This is one of them."

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I'd buy another (guess it would be my third, since my first was a Voyager). The Kia sounds pretty nice though. My brother does the plywood sheet thing when he travels in his Odyssey.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    edited January 2015
    Went car shopping with my Prius friend - his lease is up soon, and he's getting itchy.

First car - Q50 hybrid. Nice, but 56K and a little tighter inside than he liked, and no lumbar on the passenger seat, which is big to him as he won't always be the driver. Tech was pretty impressive.

Second car - MKZ hybrid, leftover 14 with ~46K sticker, fairly loaded. Bigger, not as sporty - but he likes it more. Tech wasn't bad either, massaging seats are always fun too. I suspect it has the better chance with him as it is more comfortable and significantly cheaper. Both dealerships were crowded at the end of the month. No deal could be made, as the dealership couldn't get his payoff - but my friend is patient. He seems to think he'll have positive equity in the Prius, I told him to settle down.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,186
    fezo said:

Spotted a MazdaSpeed 6 on the used car lot of a Subaru dealer, today

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Drove a new CTS at work today...only word I can use is outstanding!!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

fintail said:

Went car shopping with my Prius friend - his lease is up soon, and he's getting itchy.

First car - Q50 hybrid. Nice, but 56K and a little tighter inside than he liked, and no lumbar on the passenger seat, which is big to him as he won't always be the driver. Tech was pretty impressive.

Second car - MKZ hybrid, leftover 14 with ~46K sticker, fairly loaded. Bigger, not as sporty - but he likes it more. Tech wasn't bad either, massaging seats are always fun too. I suspect it has the better chance with him as it is more comfortable and significantly cheaper. Both dealerships were crowded at the end of the month. No deal could be made, as the dealership couldn't get his payoff - but my friend is patient. He seems to think he'll have positive equity in the Prius, I told him to settle down.

My Prius depreciates every month. I like the car so no problem. Nobody wants them. Good luck getting equity out of a lease. Find out his residual and compare it to current wholesale prices My 2010 has dropped to 11K with only 40K miles.