Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Still Rockin' the 30-Pin - 2015 Audi A3 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited December 2014 in Audi
imageStill Rockin' the 30-Pin - 2015 Audi A3 Long-Term Road Test

Our 2015 Audi A3 still has a 30-pin iPhone connector. Sigh.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    Whoa.. That's pretty crazy. You paid how much for this car?
  • adamb1adamb1 Member Posts: 122
    My Ford Focus has aux, 2-usb, and RCA inputs in the armrest. It can't be that expensive.
  • juddholl10juddholl10 Member Posts: 84
    I don't mind that my 09 A4 has a 30-pin. The only thing is the cord is in the glovebox and I have to leave my phone in there, which means I can't easily use Spotify when I'm stopped at lights. I also don't like that I have to open and close the glovebox every time I get in the car. On top of this, the car reads the Apple adapter as a device, so if I don't plug my phone in within 60 seconds of starting the car, I get an error message that the device cannot be found. That the A3 has the connector in the center console makes this better. Don't complain that you had to pay for the adapter. Things are expensive and if you want to use them you have to pay for them. There's nothing wrong with that.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Yep, auto makers are slow to adapt. My 2000 Miata still has a freaking Tape Deck in it. 2000, as in Napster era. No input jack. Our 2013 Pilot has RCA input plugs. No HDMI! What devices are you supposed to connect to it? A Playstation 1?
  • yellowbalyellowbal Member Posts: 234

...Don't complain that you had to pay for the adapter. Things are expensive and if you want to use them you have to pay for them. There's nothing wrong with that.

Audi should release items that are compatible with current offerings. Suppose you bought new software and it was only released on floppy disk and you had to buy a USB floppy drive. Doesn't make sense.
  • chol92594chol92594 Member Posts: 208
    edited December 2014
    I love Audi, but I have to agree that this practice is just stupid. My mom's 2013 Tiguan has this same problem. The connection is in the armrest so it's impossible to use the phone while driving. I think I looked up the cost of a different adapter (rather, a replacement connector for the 30-pin one) and it was expensive, but not $81. I don't even think it was $65. She just uses Bluetooth streaming, which is perfectly fine as long as you keep your phone plugged in. That being said, I know the A3's MMI system is the newest model, and I think that using certain apps requires that you have your device plugged in, not just connected by Bluetooth. Still, if my 2009 Civic has a USB port (like most new cars do), there's no reason why Audi or VW can't implement the same design. At the very least, ask the customer which one they'll need when they purchase the car. If I had been in the same position, I would have asked the dealer to include the Lightning adapter with the rest of the car.
  • 7driver7driver Member Posts: 145
    A3 vs. GTI mini-comparo please! A posting in the long-term road test blog is perfectly fine.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021

Yep, auto makers are slow to adapt. My 2000 Miata still has a freaking Tape Deck in it. 2000, as in Napster era. No input jack. Our 2013 Pilot has RCA input plugs. No HDMI! What devices are you supposed to connect to it? A Playstation 1?

Most inexpensive portable DVD players have RCA outs, not HDMI, so this isn't as baffling as a tape deck in a car deep into the CD era (or does it have both CD and tape)
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    Really off topic but wouldn't be even better if the PHONE makers got together and picked one universal charging port?
  • dgcamerodgcamero Member Posts: 148

Really off topic but wouldn't be even better if the PHONE makers got together and picked one universal charging port?

They did, Micro-USB is the most universal choice...it works with everything except for Apple products and old Samsung tablets. Silly silly companies trying to be different...

• tatermctatumstatermctatums Member Posts: 107
    My 2010 Jetta has the 30 pin connector with the super short cord in the center console and I'm okay with that. I'm still using a fourth gen (I think) ipod touch, which I use solely for music. A lot of people are still using older Apple products which wouldn't work with the lightning cable. A usb port would have be nice, but I already have the 30 pin connector, an aux jack, a SD card slot in the dash, the 6 disc cd changer, and satellite radio, all as part of the factory system. I have more than enough ways to listen to my music.
  • bassmiesternjbassmiesternj Member Posts: 48
    I'm not sure what the benefit would be to having a proper cable. Yes, it's stupid that my A3 came with the 30-pin (for $300+) but doesn't bluetooth accomplish the same thing by playing music off my iPhone 6 ?

What do I need a cable for anyway ?