Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Falcon Wing Doors on 2016 Tesla Model X Not Scrapped, CEO Says | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited December 2014 in Tesla
imageFalcon Wing Doors on 2016 Tesla Model X Not Scrapped, CEO Says | Edmunds.com

Tesla Motors CEO Elon Musk tweeted that rumors about canceling the Falcon Wing doors on the electric 2016 Tesla Model X midsize SUV are false.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ek900ek900 Member Posts: 39
    To me, the falcon-wing doors, on an SUV, are the shakiest idea I have seen in a long time. They are 1988 Nissan Pulsar "wagon" cringe-worthy...probably worse. Adding something as impractical as them to an SUV, at it heart a practical vehicle choice, is not IMHO smart. We'll see. I'd expect Tesla to have a great early push of sales on this model, but I have to wonder who buys it once the bad press of those doors in real life starts catching up.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    ek900 said:

I'd expect Tesla to have a great early push of sales on this model, but I have to wonder who buys it once the bad press of those doors in real life starts catching up.

I get the feeling they aren't about "practical" and are more about attracting buyers who want "something different". Buyer's remorse may indeed be dead ahead B)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    They should be scrapped. No kayaks on top, no snowboards on top, no rocket boxes on top. A much better idea would be power sliders.
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    I guess Elon is betting that the "cool car" segment of buyers is larger than the "roof rack" segment of buyers.
    stever said:

They should be scrapped. No kayaks on top, no snowboards on top, no rocket boxes on top. A much better idea would be power sliders.

Couldn't you fit more kayaks across the top of those open doors? B)

Not scared of a little interior breeze are ya??
  • gsborysgsborys Member Posts: 1
    If my kids and I come to the car covered in snow and my boys open the falcon doors to get in and then I open the rear to put junk in the trunk or to grab a snow brush... i now see an avalance of snow pouring into the car onto their heads and lap.
    gsborys said:

If my kids and I come to the car covered in snow and my boys open the falcon doors to get in and then I open the rear to put junk in the trunk or to grab a snow brush... i now see an avalance of snow pouring into the car onto their heads and lap.

Yea, I imagine that a bit more snow would get onto my seat if gull wing doors were involved. Living in an area that actually has winter, I'm not sure that gull wing doors would be a feature I'd be after anyway. Hadn't really thought about that before :p