Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata U.S. Engine Specs Released | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited February 2015 in Mazda
image2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata U.S. Engine Specs Released | Edmunds.com

Car shoppers received a critical piece of information about the 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata convertible late last week as Mazda confirmed U.S. engine specifications.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    Shedding 150lbs is good, shedding 12 hp, not so much. The 2.5 SA wouldn't fit? The Miata doesn't need 200 hp, but the extra 30 from the 2.5 would be welcome.
  • Options
    7driver7driver Member Posts: 145
    Interesting. It has the same HP as the SkyActiv 2.0l from the CX-5 and Mazda3 but loses 2lb-ft of TQ from those two installations. I wonder if Mazda had trouble fitting the trick Skyactiv exhaust headers in the smaller Miata?
  • Options
    desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    I'm thinking that in a year or so the turbo model is going to be released. I'll wait for that.
  • Options
    actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    Because the ND is lighter, it's power to weight ratio is equal to that of the NC despite 12 fewer horsepower. But the lighter ND does have 8 more lb-ft of torque than the NC, so it should pull stronger out of the hole.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• Options
    kyolmlkyolml Member Posts: 37
    the NC MZR engine makes more power than the Mazda 3 equivalent. When they introduced the skyactiv Mazda 3 it has more power than the MZR. Now the skyactiv Miata doesn't, it's just they being plain lazy. At lease give us the 167 as the MZR. With direct injection, they have no reason not too
  • Options
    tommygnrtommygnr Member Posts: 1
    2300 pound car needs 230hp in this day and age.