Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Fog and Adaptive Cruise Control - 2015 Kia K900 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited February 2015 in Kia
imageFog and Adaptive Cruise Control - 2015 Kia K900 Long-Term Road Test

Fog and adaptive cruise control in the Edmunds long-term 2015 Kia K900.

Read the full story here

Comments

• misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    So at any point did you check the radar range?!

Seriously though, what a great application for radar cruise control. Few things are scarier than driving in dense fog, where even slowing down can be dangerous (if the vehicles behind you do not realize that you slowed).
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    Why does the adaptive cruise control have to be on for the radar to work? I assume there is no forward collision warning system. If there was the radar would always scan the road and alert if a you were closing in on a vehicle to quickly even if cruise was off.
  • stevej2001stevej2001 Member Posts: 10
    As an aside, here's how to find exits in the fog in the Central Valley. I've lived in the Valley for 35 years and shortly after arriving I was let in on how it works. As you approach an exit on the freeway, on your right, just by the right lane, you'll first see 3 of those reflective thingees then two then one. They're equally spaced, so you can easily predict where the next would be. As you approach that point, a white line sweeps from the right and reaches the right side of the right lane, then sweeps back away to the right. That last sweep is the exit itself.

It sounds complex but really very easy. The next time you're in the valley without fog, look for the dots and the sweeping white line.

In town, it's often hard to know when the next intersection is approaching, especially if there's a stop sign. I use my cars NAV at the widest resolution to see if I'm coming up on a stop. Often you can't even see the stoplights until you're right on top of them.

When I first moved here and was young and stupid, I'd get behind a semi and keep it's lights just at the limit of visibility. I figured I could stop a lot quicker than it could. I never had an accident but as I'm older, I just try not to get on the freeway in the fog.