Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Saturn Outlook - Tell me it's not true!

rmxz_71011rmxz_71011 Member Posts: 2
edited October 2014 in Saturn
I purchased a 2008 Saturn Outlook with just under 50,000 miles in July 2014. Right after purchasing my "new to me" SUV we took it on a trip to FL (from KY). During the trip I noticed that sometimes when starting to accelerate the car would act shaky or jerking when only going up to 30 miles per hour. It was an intermittent problem but was a little shocking since I just bought it and the miles were so low. During the trip the same thing happened from time to time and we thought maybe it had to do with the gas because the dealer said the SUV came from Canada. Since then the same issue has happened several more times, but again intermittently. About a month ago I was in the grocery store parking lot and had just turned the car on and was making a right hand turn in the parking lot when all of sudden my entire steering column locked up, I could not accelerate or turn my wheel either way. The only thing I could do was reverse so I did and the put it back in park. After that I turned it off and then back on and everything worked again. I was literally freaking out and thought if that happened when turning on a main road that could have been a major accident. I did not have it checked but it just happened again yesterday. This time I started making a left hand turn out of a parking lot on to a road when I could not turn any more left and the entire steering column locked up and the error that the traction control or whatever it is was now off. I didn't turn it off so not sure why that happened. I could not do anything but stop and turn off the car and start it again. It started up and then drove as normal again. What in the heck could this be? I have read so many stories about this model and year recently that I am sure there is an issue with the transmission or one of the other many expensive components that others have had to replace when their cars have been well under 100,000 miles. GM is not helping anyone and I am one of those that are being left out in the cold with over $17K to pay on the SUV that now doesn't want to ride like a car that was only purchased almost 4 months ago!

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You may want to check the power steering fluid level. These models are notorious for power steering leaks through the steering rack.
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    I just got a letter yesterday. Saturn is giving a warranty on power steering pump for 10 year IIRC. I left the letter at home and will post details this weekend. They will fix or repay you if you have already paid to have it fixed. I had mine replaced last year along with the steering rack, details probably on the receipt in the glove box (wife drives it now). I have a GMPP warranty with $100 deductible, so I might get that paid back once I get receipts and details. Work was done at Chevrolet dealership, so might get them involved.

Bill 2008 Outlook XR
  • rmxz_71011rmxz_71011 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the feedback. Wonder why I didn't get a letter? Did you purchase your 2008 Outlook new or used? Does it have any phone numbers or website addresses on the letter? If so, can you post here so that I can follow up?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252

Thanks for the feedback. Wonder why I didn't get a letter? Did you purchase your 2008 Outlook new or used? Does it have any phone numbers or website addresses on the letter? If so, can you post here so that I can follow up?

Hi rmxz_71011,

If you'd like to send us your VIN and exact mileage via private message we can verify any open recalls or service announcements listed for your Saturn Outlook. We understand this is upsetting, but please let us know if we can help. For your reference, you can also check my.gm.com to monitor any service announcements for your vehicle.

Thanks,

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care

Sorry to be so late. I purchased the 2008 Outlook new in august 2008. I have a GMPP extended warranty until 8/2015. I seen Enclosure 14329 as the only reference to any id number for this. It has a form to submit for reimbursement request. Reminds me I need to verify which dealer I took it to and get with them on the invoice and repair diagnostic. My deductible was $100 so that was my out of pocket. I need to make sure I did not pay that both times it was in during that repair circuit.

Bill
  • hondagirl69hondagirl69 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Saturn Outlook that had 70000 miles on it when the transmission went out. When I took it to the transmission shop to get it repaired ($3100 later) they told me that the transmission (6T75) that was in my car they have seen quite a bit of them with the same issue. I can see a transmission going out if the mileage was up there, but 70,000 miles, really?!?!
    I just got a letter from Saturn stating they are now covering the transmission (wave plate at least) for 10 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first. There is a form to claim reimbursement if you have had the issue and paid out of pocket for this. I have a 2008 Outlook XR with a little less than 70,000 miles. I still have a GMPP extended warranty for another 4 months, so I am not in a big rush to get rid of it. I did have the steering rack replaced last year, I think there is repair campaign for that issue as well.