Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Fuel Economy Update for January - 2014 Mini Cooper Hardtop Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited February 2015 in MINI
imageFuel Economy Update for January - 2014 Mini Cooper Hardtop Long-Term Road Test

The 2014 Mini Cooper fuel economy update for January 2015

Read the full story here

Comments

• desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    Maybe there is something wrong with your car? Maybe it is time to take it to the dealership or contact MINI and find out what is going on?
    You had a transmission issue, could this be a lingering effect?

Instead of wondering why it's getting such bad fuel economy, why not find out why?

• fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Whoa - no better than either the GTI or the A3, both of which have vastly more power and performance.

Maybe it's not really a sensitive topic...considering owners have paid a ridiculous $33k+ for this small a car with performance this modest, maybe the actual real-life fuel economy is not that big an issue.
  • chol92594chol92594 Member Posts: 208

Maybe there is something wrong with your car? Maybe it is time to take it to the dealership or contact MINI and find out what is going on?
    You had a transmission issue, could this be a lingering effect?

Instead of wondering why it's getting such bad fuel economy, why not find out why?

Definitely agree with this. Even with heavy LA traffic, I find it hard to believe that an engine as small and advanced as that 3 cylinder (in a car that's also fairly small) would be getting such poor mileage in comparison to the EPA ratings. Either there's something seriously wrong with your car, or you really just need to drive it more in free-flowing traffic. The turbo could be a culprit too, since it makes the car so much fun to drive. I've noticed on my mother's Tiguan (2.0T) that it can be very efficient (yet still able to keep up with traffic) if I use the throttle lightly. However, once I start to get just a little more judicious with the throttle, fuel economy drops quickly. The key to getting good fuel economy with small turbo engines is to be delicate with the throttle and let the low end torque do the work.
  • veedubber86veedubber86 Member Posts: 57
    Agreed ^

In my experience with small turbocharged engines, A light foot goes a long way to improving mileage.
  • darexdarex Member Posts: 187
    You DO need a road-trip in that MINI!
  • s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    the issue with the road trip suggestions is that it is a MINI. not really designed as a road trip vehicle. it is a CITY car, is it not?
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    Maybe you need to take it for a spin around your fuel economy test loop.

I would blame it on the turbo, but VW seems to have no issues hitting the EPA numbers on its many turbo cars.
  • darexdarex Member Posts: 187
    @s197gt:

It is a FANTASTIC road trip vehicle. The sport seats are a 10/10 for comfort, and it's plenty fast and potent for the interstates. You're thinking of the Smart fortwo or Chevy Spark, perhaps. The MINI is in a whole other universe than those sorts of true "City Cars." I've taken road trips in my MINI. It's as pleasant as you could want for this purpose.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512

Maybe you need to take it for a spin around your fuel economy test loop.

I would blame it on the turbo, but VW seems to have no issues hitting the EPA numbers on its many turbo cars.

Not just VW...the Edmunds LT BMW is missing its combined EPA only by slightly over 2 mpg... this MINI-BMW is missing by almost 6 mpg. Be interesting to see what a Fiesta ST would average.