Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 Ford Expedition 4wd light flashing

laurengreenelaurengreene Member Posts: 4
edited February 2015 in Ford
A few weeks ago I had put my Eddie Bauer expedition in to 4wdl to pull up at work then put it into a4wd. The next day the 4wdh light was flashing. I pulled over turned off the truck and turned it back on and it didnt come back on. Yesterday my abs light came on and my 4wdh light started flashing again while in a4wd. It isn't continual it's only when it seems to want to kick in when I'm sliding. Any idea what it could be? Maybe an easy fix before I take it to the dealership.

Answers

• alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Member Posts: 339
    When you went into 4Lo did you stop and make the transfer while in Neutral? And did you reverse that procedure when coming out of 4Lo? If not, then the truck was probably confused by where you had the selector and where it was in it's transfer process. If memory serves me, when you are in A4WD and there is slippage it flashes the 4x4 light to indicate it is in 4WD.
  • laurengreenelaurengreene Member Posts: 4
    When I put it into 4wl I was in park or stopped in drive. When I took it out I was in drive but stopped. It was my mothers truck and she told me light won't flash when it 4wd kicks in when in a4wd
    You were not in 4L, you need to be in neutral with your foot on the brake to get into and out of 4L, so the flashing light was telling you that something didn't match - the transfer case was not in the same mode as the selector. Maybe your mother has never had it kick into 4WD?
    I'm not sure. I'm taking it in to a transmission shop the does 4wd on Wednesday. Guess I'll find out soon
    Seems to be a waste of money to me. Let me know what they say.
    They are looking at it for free for me. If it is a simple fix my brother and boyfriend can fix it. On my way home from work I put it in neutral with my foot on the break. I put it into 4wh then when it registered 4wl. I then put it in 4wh then a4wd. My light still flashed and it won't kick in when in a4wd but if I just put it in 4wh I have 4wd.