Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Should I Sue Meineke?

jmcnycjmcnyc Member Posts: 2
edited February 2015 in BMW
I took my car to Meineke for an oil change. I have a 2008 BMW X3 and was tired of paying high price for oil change at the dealer. Had a full service oil change about 3 weeks ago.

Just this weekend I had an Service Engine Soon light on my car and brought it into my local mechanic who specializes in German cars, he is someone I trust. I was seeing a oil leak in my garage so I had him also check this. He called me and was shocked that Meineke put in the wrong filter. Not only was it wrong - but it didn't fit. The filter was to long and had to be crushed in to fit. See photo of filter below. My mechanic said oil was not flowing properly and the car was in danger of serious problems. He suggested I contact Meineke and issue a complaint. He also said I should consider suing them. Is it worth my time here? I am concerned that I had children and family members in a car that was in danger of some catastrophic failure. Meineke should be held responsible and not continue to provide this level of service.

Any thoughts on how I should proceed?

Comments

• cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    To collect in a lawsuit you need to prove damages. What damages do you have other than an improper oil change? Sure it could be said the engine was damaged but can you prove it?
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    edited February 2015
    I would contact Meineke and complain, perhaps they will give you your money back on the less exspensive/bad quality service.

Unless you have actual damages that can easily be proved are due to messed up filter I think anything beyond that would likely be a waste of time/effort and money.

(again I type to slow :( )
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    Did any warning lights (oil pressure, etc) go off? Was the oil level much too low? If not, then I doubt you'll be able to prove much beyond needing a refund for the faulty oil change.

In the future NEVER go to a chain for oil changes. You have a trusted independent mechanic. Why not use him?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,123
    I would be more worried about what oil they used in your X3..

A 7-quart synthetic oil change shouldn't be cheap... The oil and filter alone is around $60.

But, I agree.. if your car wasn't throwing any codes or warnings, then you are probably fine. I'd let Meineke know, just to get my money back, if nothing else.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited February 2015
    Wouldn't hurt to document everything and try to get a statement from your mechanic and keep the filter. Be a pain trying to prove a link if your engine blows in 50,000 miles, but if it starts rattling in 5,000 miles, you'd at least have your ducks in a row to proceed with a claim.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I can't add anything to the good advice given by the others but hopefully you learned a lesson about avoiding the chains. I have to wonder why you didn't use the mechanic you know and trust.

I think stever's advice sums up what I would do.
  • jmcnycjmcnyc Member Posts: 2
    Agree - avoiding Meineke and the chains - I only used them because they are right next door to my office and the convenience of getting an oil change worked for me. However I was not expecting the cost and stress of cleaning up their mess.