Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2016 Acura ILX Road Test | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited February 2015 in Acura

image2016 Acura ILX Road Test | Edmunds.com

The 2016 Acura ILX receives a midcycle refresh with subtle styling updates and significant drivetrain enhancements.

Read the full story here

Comments

• dfelix70dfelix70 Member Posts: 143
    This new ILX is something to get excited about. It easily can compete with the best from Germany, at a lower price point. Yes, it doesn't have AWD, but, honestly, I've owned numerous FWD cars and they've all handled impeccably in the deepest of snow. As far as interior material quality, the previous ILX was very competitive with the Germans, and I'm sure the updated version will be just as competitive, if not moreso. I've been in all of the cars mentioned and, in my opinion, there is no noticeable difference in overall quality. I'm not sure why Edmunds is always so down the pants of Audi, but they're not as impressive as Edmunds always says they are. Trust me. I own one and have driven many loaner cars. Not only are they not as "special" as Edmunds like to think, but beneath all of those "nice materials", the structure and quality is straight-up VW. Don't get me wrong. There are a lot of reasons I love my Audi, but interior quality and exterior paint quality definitely are not on that list. As far as the CLA, it's very nice and I had no issues with the ride characteristics or the transmission.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited February 2015
    Since I'm considering the 2016 ILX, I liked this conclusion:

"The 2016 Acura ILX benefits from a more affordable price tag than its German rivals. With a high level of driver engagement balanced with a comfortable ride and plenty of standard and available features, it's clearly the value leader in this class."

And like many people I'd put Acura reliability above the German competition.

The 2016 ILXs closest competitor is probably the Audi A3 1.8, and when compared to that the 2016 ILX has considerable advantages, including: it's rated 2 higher in terms of mpg, gets to 60 about a second faster (according to Car and Driver), has a 2 cubic foot larger trunk, and costs about $3k less when comparably equipped.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • patinthecitypatinthecity Member Posts: 40
    Just when things get a little better, they take away the manual transmission. So typical.
  • zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    So why didn't Acura make it this good to start with? Why start with a lackluster version of the car that gets tepid reviews and sets in many people's minds what that model is? A bit like renaming the Sebring the 200 and then coming out with a far more impressive 200 after everyone associates the 200 with what it first was.

I can see maybe the transmission wasn't ready when they first launched the ILX but they could have done everything else from the start. So did they decide to see if they could get away with doing it cheaper and when that failed finally make it right? It isn't like Honda is a small company without R&D dollars that had to work through some initial bugs in the new model. They actively chose to make the car less than it should have been. Did they dumb it down to keep it from eclipsing the TSX? I guess that might make sense but in too many people's minds the ILX is and always will be a Civic with lipstick no matter how good the mid-cycle refresh is on it. And it looks good enough I may actually stop by the Acura dealer in the near future.
  • mtakahashimtakahashi Member Posts: 31
    Zim: The ILX came out as the recession hit hard and gas prices spiked. that probably had a lot to do with the initial launch.
    The Acura people have basically admitted that they messed up a bit on the original ILX. The recession and spike in gas prices made them think they had to make an Acura that costs less and got better mpg. They more or less hit those targets, but then performance was lackluster. Meanwhile Honda/Acura has been pouring billions into R & D for better engines and transmissions, and they put two of the gems from that investment almost as soon as they were ready into the new ILX. By my back of the envelope calculation they've added almost $4k worth of better stuff onto the base car while only raising the price by $850. The net effect is a big price cut. The car wasn't really competitive before, but now seems to be the best bang for the buck in the segment. Anyway, I'm looking forward to my test drive of the 2016 ILX in a few months, once supplies catch up with demand....
  • roubaudroubaud Member Posts: 80
    What about the Volvo S60? Why do these articles never mention that fine car?
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    Car enthusiasts always lament the lack of a manual transmission. But obviously, it didn't sell well. I'd much rather have a DCT.
  • mittzombiemittzombie Member Posts: 162
    edited February 2015
    Best thing about my old Acura was the manual transmission, and the ability to drop in an aftermarket stereo was great. Now they don't have either.
    Why would anyone buy this overpriced Civic when they could get an Accord V6 for the same price makes no sense to me either. Also I can't stand touch screens....

I would rather have the Civic Si than this car, at least I would not feel ripped off.
  • gba47gba47 Member Posts: 7
    Maybe the question isn't if the ILX is a good value against the Germans, but is the extra cost justified against top end compacts such as the Ford Focus Titanium, the Mazda 3 S Grand Touting, and the Volkswagen Golf SEL?
    edited February 2015
    gba47 said:

Maybe the question isn't if the ILX is a good value against the Germans, but is the extra cost justified against top end compacts such as the Ford Focus Titanium, the Mazda 3 S Grand Touting, and the Volkswagen Golf SEL?

I think it'll get customers from both ends of the spectrum, as well as Honda and Acura loyalists. To get the crown as "best selling" in this segment requires sales of about 30,000. With the strong reviews the 2016 ILX is getting, and performance and features that should help the car sell itself, I think it's even possible it'll be a surprise hit and take it....We'll see.
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433

Best thing about my old Acura was the manual transmission, and the ability to drop in an aftermarket stereo was great. Now they don't have either.
    Why would anyone buy this overpriced Civic when they could get an Accord V6 for the same price makes no sense to me either. Also I can't stand touch screens....

I would rather have the Civic Si than this car, at least I would not feel ripped off.

I don't think any modern car has those old fashioned double DIN stereo slots.
  • 610looper610looper Member Posts: 20
    The manual ILX wasn't available with navigation or the ELS stereo..had the Tech package been available for that model, it would've sold better. Like the Honda Accord EX 4dr is available with a stick, but no navigation or SXM, just Pandora so you'd better have a good data plan with your phone service carrier.
  • hdluffyhdluffy Member Posts: 12
    couldnt buy an ILX 6 Manual before because it didnt have the tech pack and the must haves for me. Now that the car is nicely equip I still can't be a buyer because now no manual. geeeez
  • mittzombiemittzombie Member Posts: 162
    schen72 said:

I don't think any modern car has those old fashioned double DIN stereo slots.
    I think a few Scions do, maybe a couple others.

You can get drop in solutions for specific cars like Mustangs from Alpine, and there are some computer based interfaces that will connect an aftermarket unit to a factory interface. SOme dash kits are easy solutions on a few cats.

• mrvtecskimrvtecski Member Posts: 46
    edited February 2015
    As the owner of a shiny blue 2004 TSX, I drove a 14' ILX as a loaner and was not swayed at all but the dynamics, engine notwithstanding. And now the proper power train upgrades will have me driving a 16' but I would rather have a TLX which is a more attractive, larger car for around the same money. Of course, that is if I wanted to stay with Acura. A gently used 328i sounds more appealing for next time...But My car has been bulletproof with 142k and has aged quite nicely. Something that keeps us Honda/Acura owners coming back is the fact that reliability is the greatest luxury of all.
  • wheelmccoywheelmccoy Member Posts: 97
    edited February 2015
    No split rear folding seat? No manual transmission? It feels like Acura considers people like me too pedestrian. "Shoo! You are ruining our showroom. Go to Mazda next door." :smile:

Otherwise, engine improvements look good. I prefer the exterior looks of the previous model though.
    edited February 2015
    mrvtecski said:

As the owner of a shiny blue 2004 TSX, I drove a 14' ILX as a loaner and was not swayed at all but the dynamics, engine notwithstanding. And now the proper power train upgrades will have me driving a 16' but I would rather have a TLX which is a more attractive, larger car for around the same money. Of course, that is if I wanted to stay with Acura. A gently used 328i sounds more appealing for next time...But My car has been bulletproof with 142k and has aged quite nicely. Something that keeps us Honda/Acura owners coming back is the fact that reliability is the greatest luxury of all.

Well, the number one thing, imho, is that you have an 11-year old Acura with 142k miles that has been very reliable. My guess is that there aren't as many owners of BMWs with that kind of age and mileage who can say the same thing.

The 2016 ILX starts at c. $28k, and for that price you get power a power heated seat, moonroof, back up camera, Siri Eyes Free, etc. To get a comparably equipped 2015 BMW 320i would be more than $36k. A used one would be less, but then you'd probably be out of warranty before long and that might have some costs there.

Honda/Acura models have also done better on crash tests than the BMW 3-series.

It's true BMW has a lot more prestige than Acura, and probably better handling, but the 2016 ILX's 2.4, according to Car and Driver, will get you to 60 a little bit faster than a 320i. And in term of most dimensions the two cars are quite close.

The TLX starts at $31.5k msrp, which is a fair amount more than the $28k of the ILX, although the "Premium ILX" at $30k is the model that most closely matches the base TLX, and so those two really are not far off as you say.

• jraserojrasero Member Posts: 12
    edited March 2015
    Test drove a 1st gen and didn't see the value in it besides the Acura badge for an entry level price. The second gens outside is nicely done with the Acura grill badge being slimmed down. The former 150 HP is gone and a 8 speed dual clutch transmission making slightly over 200 HP is in. I am glad to see Honda has made their best compact engine standard now. While I haven't driven the 2nd gen yet and I have really high hopes for the new motor, but just sitting in the 2nd gen at the dealer made me realize Honda/Acura still didn't revise the interior. The inside of the car is still really plain vanilla, there is too much hard plastics, leather comes standard now but doesn't hold a candle to other luxury companies, the low resolution display is gross, and Honda in general still puts way too many buttons on console. While the ILX isn't perfect it's direct competitor the Audi A3 starts at $29,900 comes with a 1.8 6 speed and you have to pay extras for heated seats extra $500, driver assistance package (backup and side cameras) $1400, iPod integration $350. So an A3 with the comparable equipment as a base ILx is priced at $32,150, so I see the value of a base ILX but again Acura does not have the pull it once did and they must do more in order to steal back Audi customers.

Also, a lot of people's complaints are very petty. The ILX doesn't have split folding seats, you can't swap the radio out, the car dropped the manual. Oh please: the non split folding seats are a minor annoyance and I am sure you are folding the back seats down every day right? Yes Honda/Acura's have too many buttons but the sound system is pretty good and the ELS (optional) beats any after market and why would you want to swap out the head unit anyways this isn't the radio from a RSX. Boo hoo no manual, but Acura gave us a much more power 8 speed dual clutch transmission, beggars can't be choosers.