Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Not Cool, Man. - 2005 Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mercedes-Benz
imageNot Cool, Man. - 2005 Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG Long-Term Road Test

We can't feel the cooled seats on the long-term Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG. Are they broken?

Read the full story here

Comments

• mdm08033mdm08033 Member Posts: 8
    I speak from experience with a 2003 ML350. These are the kind of repairs that causes an owner to abandon the brand. On my wife's ML 350, the seat trim, cup holders. front and rear ashtrays, just break and break again. The dealership offers no warranty on poorly engineered parts that just fail again and again.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Owning a German car out of warranty is like reaching the age of 80. Suffering of some sort is inevitable.
  • wjtinatlwjtinatl Member Posts: 50
    Most of these seats with blowers have a filter that should be cleaned or replaced. I'd guess after 9 years of various keister's occupying those seats, yours may be clogged. Shouldn't be too difficult to DYI.
  • mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    Haha, I hate to break it to you, but your seats are probably operating as-designed. The "ventilated" seats on the W220/W215 were borderline useless. They were the first of their kind and simply not engineered very well.

Having said that, there are two things you can do to potentially improve the situation. For starters, make sure that the rear air vents are turned on and blowing cool air. The inlet for the seats is in the back rest and if its pulling in hot air it won't cool the seat down. Secondly, make sure that the air inlet is cleaned out. It can get clogged with dust and that prevents any circulation from occurring. Similarly, a deep cleaning of the pores of the seats can also help the situation. If you can hear the fans operating there isn't anything broken here. Something is just clogged up or your expectations are too high. This isn't a new car with the latest in cooled seats. These seats are circa 1999.
  • sharpendsharpend Member Posts: 177
    One word if you want to minimize luxury car repair headaches as much as possible: Lexus
  • banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    could it be just a loose vent pipe connection?
  • b189b189 Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2015
    it doesn't take air from the hvac system or anything. all it is, is just large computer type fans that suck the air way, its ment to "wick" the hot air away from you. piss poor option but newer Mercs have a much better system.