Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

A Driver's Car Once Again - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited February 2015 in Volkswagen
imageA Driver's Car Once Again - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

This update to Edmunds' long-term 2015 Golf GTI discusses the all-new GTI's nature as a true driver's car.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    Is there a difference in suspension tuning vs the previous GTI, or is it just because this one has better performance tyres?
  • Options
    mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    @desmolicious,

The Mk7 is an entirely new platform so the suspension tuning is different. Honestly, I think this new setup is too extreme.. I generally don't have issues with stiff riding cars, but a young colleague of mine just bought one and the ride quality is simply harsh. His old Mk6 was firm, but ultimately compliant.
  • Options
    DebunkerDebunker Member Posts: 49
    I've commented about this before, but I'll throw in my two cents again. I have a 2015 GTi manual transmission version, and I do agree that you'll bounce around a bit at low speeds over rough pavement. But my 2009 Audi A4 wasn't much better in this regard. Once moving though, over half-decent pavement, the ride is just fine. Firm, yes, but not even slightly harsh. And the handling under all circumstances is really outstanding. You'd need a 911 to make a measurable jump up in handling to top it. And the 911 jounces around a bit at low speeds too. I should also mention that I'm over 65, so demographically speaking, I should be in a Camry, no?
  • Options
    s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    "I've yet to drive this car genuinely hard, but it doesn't matter."

but isn't the gti's reputation that it is (only) a great "8/10ths" car?

the non-defeatable stability control? FWD? Livable (but soft) suspension tuning?

a great sporty daily driver but not a true corner carver.
  • Options
    tower210tower210 Member Posts: 1
    VW needs to build a performance car in the next size up. I test drove a GTI and loved the way it drived, but ultimately couldn't buy it because it was too small (an looks a bit immature). I purchased a Mazda 6GT Tech, which handles about the same (more feel, but not enough power) and fits the "midsize" mold much better.
  • Options
    grijongrijon Member Posts: 147
    Well said, Josh.
  • Options
    darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    Debunker said:

I should also mention that I'm over 65, so demographically speaking, I should be in a Camry, no?

No, the Camry is for people in their 40s and 50s. It's Avalon time for you, grandpa. :)
  • Options
    janet_kjanet_k Member Posts: 18
    Is it firmer than the Mercedes CLA?
  • Options
    yellowmiatayellowmiata Member Posts: 23
    edited February 2015
    Debunker said:

You'd need a 911 to make a measurable jump up in handling to top it.

That's a heck of a jump from the GTI to the 911. I'd politely disagree. Miatas have handled well since their inception (despite well documented body roll) and have RWD fun to boot. The FRS/BRZ runs neck and neck (usually slightly ahead) with the Miata with regard to laser sharp handling. The Cayman is a step up from these two with its polar moment of inertia well sorted and excellent sight lines. The last 370Z coupe was too loud and stiff, but held a .99 on the circular pad (according to IL). Having driven 3 generations of GTIs, they are feisty but always fall prey to a understeer and torque steer due to the heavy front end + FWD. Even Mini has challenged the GTI as the best FWD hot hatch with its taught proportions and turbo-laced engine. Perhaps, just perhaps, there is a bit of room between the GTI and the 911?
    Kevin
  • Options
    barryhuberbarryhuber Member Posts: 14
    edited February 2015
    janet_k said:

Is it firmer than the Mercedes CLA?

No. Much softer. I'd opt for it over a CLA as it wins on space, handling, price, comfort. But it still felt pretty antiseptic when pressed really hard on some windy/curvy backstreets. Instrument testing says it's great but seat of the pants, I still can't find love for FWD.