Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

AirBag Recall? Maybe not.

thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
edited February 2015 in General
When SRS (supplemental restraint systems) otherwise known as airbags first started being installed in cars there were scheduled service intervals required by a number of manufacturers. Over time they were dropped from the regular routines and everyone just expected that they would work as designed basically forever. With the TAKATA recalls the debate has resurfaced as to whether it is wise to leave these components installed indefinitely.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20141218/OEM11/141219872/takata-airbag-crisis-may-spur-maintenance-changes-in-japan

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Seems like there used to be a ten year maintenance inspection when air bags were first required. Or maybe I dreamt that. Never had one done that I know of.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    Yes there was a service interval. Volvo comes to mind as one of the manufacturers that required the system be tested although what usually happened was if there were no codes, then the check was complete. Any system codes required the car to be repaired. What they are proposing here is changing the modules on a fixed schedule, just like an oil change.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Once every ten years would be okay. Especially if I could do an oil, transmission and brake fluid change all at the same time (i.e., once a decade). B)