Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Chevy Impala traction control light & engine light

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    kazied87 said:

I have the same problem with my 2009 Impala. The traction control and reduced engine power lights came on. The engine stopped while I was driving on a busy highway. Not a good thing to happen , I was lucky and was able to pull the car safely over to the breakdown lane. Got the throttle body changed and all seemed fine until 2 weeks later when the same lights came on. Now it's getting the throttle sensor replaced. I am not happy especially after seeing so many other online complaints about the same problem. GM should have had a recall.

We're sorry to hear you feel this way based on your experience, kazied87. We definitely understand your frustration and have documented your feedback within our system. If any recalls are issued in the future for this issue you will be notified by mail and may also be eligible for reimbursement. If you have any questions or concerns moving forward please feel free to private message us your VIN and contact information.

Thank you

Amber N.

GM Customer Care

• franciscusfranciscus Member Posts: 1

Ihave a 2009 impala And i have the same problem but I replaced the starter and alternater and it still doing the samething. Now I need an emissions and I dont the it will pass the test.what do I need to do now.

• lraneylraney Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same "service traction control" and "Engine power reduced" problem. I have a 09 impala i purchased 13 months ago and every once and a while i will experience this problem. more on rainy wet days then dry. I purchased the car from enterprise used car dealership and all they tell me is it is not covered under the limited warranty. Frustrating thousands of people are experiencing the same problem and GM isn't fixing it. Guess i will be dishing out even more at the mechanic to finally get it fixed.
    I'm sorry to hear of your periodic experiences with the Impala, lraney. You mentioned they said it was not covered under the limited warranty. Are you referencing the dealership you purchased the car from or a GM dealer? We would like to look into this further for you. I look forward to your response and working with you.

With Regard,

Marlea W.
    GM Customer Care
  • mstrekamstreka Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2010 Chevrolet Impala that was purchased from the dealership but it was also a rental car. I have only had the car 5 months and my traction control light is on, also. It does say engine power reduces. I took it to a mechanic but it was not covered for the dealership to pay for the repair under my warranty. I am really hoping someone can resolve this problem for these Impalas. I love my car, but I want it fixed.
  • tim927tim927 Member Posts: 1
    2006 Impala. I just replaced the gas peddle sensor. The car broke down. Someone went into a snowbank trying to avoid my wife as the car started with the "reduced engine speed" mode. Why can't that be disengaged? I called Chevy. They will not recall this issue. Is there a class action law suite against this issue? I'd like to join it. Someone is going to die. GM wants $100 just to diagnose the issue. The local dealer is a joke and said they've never heard of this issue with the Impalas before! What a joke! I guess the "accelerator position sensor" code doesn't really mean accelerator sensor does it?
  • rphill08rphill08 Member Posts: 6
    Wow. I am so glad I finally found this information on Chevy Impala's. I have a 2009 Impala that has been having the same issues as mentioned above for at least a year now, with no resolution either. I think it's time for me to jump ship with GM, the only brand I've ever owned in my 30 plus years of driving. The last few GM products owned have had too many problems.
    rphill08 said:

Wow. I am so glad I finally found this information on Chevy Impala's. I have a 2009 Impala that has been having the same issues as mentioned above for at least a year now, with no resolution either. I think it's time for me to jump ship with GM, the only brand I've ever owned in my 30 plus years of driving. The last few GM products owned have had too many problems.

Good evening,

We're sorry to hear you have been inconvenienced by this concern over the past year, rphill08. If you would like for us to look into this further for you, please private message us your VIN and full contact information. This will allow us to document appropriately and look into any options that may be available. I look forward to your response and working with you.

Marlea W.
    GM Customer Care

• dustythecatdustythecat Member Posts: 1
    My 2011 Impala just started this nonsense. I have a friend who has a 2009 Lacrosse that did the same thing. His dealer fixed it the first time by replacing the two computers in the car. They did not touch any of the hubs or sensors. They fixed it on the first try. Problem has not recurred. But it cost $1800. When I take mine in, I'm putting the charge on my credit card. If they do not fix it right the first time, I'll file a billing dispute with the credit card company. That does work very well.
    I finally
    gmcustsvc said:

rphill08 said:

Good evening,

We're sorry to hear you have been inconvenienced by this concern over the past year, rphill08. If you would like for us to look into this further for you, please private message us your VIN and full contact information. This will allow us to document appropriately and look into any options that may be available. I look forward to your response and working with you.

Marlea W.
    GM Customer Care

Resolved!! I finally got this fixed last weekend at an automotive repair shop in Waterford, MI - Auto-Lab. He told me there was a GM Service Bulletin on this issue. He got the part from the local Chevrolet dealership. Part: Accelerator Position Sensor cost $151.00 Labor 1 hour=$90.00. Total cost $250.00 to repair this annoyance that has plagued me for the past year of so. Issue: Traction Control and Service Engine lights appearing on a weekly basis. At one point my accelerator pedal stopped working completely, no acceleration. I also had noticed when pulling into traffic acceleration was hesitant intermittently. Safely issue!!
  • ncmommy8ncmommy8 Member Posts: 2

While driving my 2009 Chevrolet impala at about 35 mph, my car instantly reduced speed and the traction control and powered reduced to engine light displayed. My car reduced speed to about 10 mph and I couldn't accelerate anymore. I began coasting. I drove directly to the dealership and was charged $400 to "fix" the problem.
    That figures the dealer charged $400. and the same repair cost me $250. at a local certified repair facility.
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    rphill08 said:

That figures the dealer charged $400. and the same repair cost me $250. at a local certified repair facility.

I think it may depend on what repair was done, I have seen about 5 different causes for reduced engine power message and resulting additionnal messages it creates

I had my accelerator pedal sensor replaced to resolve this issue.
    rphill08 said:

I had my accelerator pedal sensor replaced to resolve this issue.

Did you receive our private message, rphill08? Please feel free to let us know if you have any further concerns.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • lundy48lundy48 Member Posts: 1
    This happened to me this morning. Tomorrow my wife is being induced and today my car does this. But from what I've been reading, no one says anything about the car not starting afterwards. My car wont start, just a loud clicking noise when i try to start it. Anyone have any ideas? Im charging the battery at the moment in hopes this will work.
    I have not had an issue with it not starting, just no acceleration. Now I have another issue this vehicle. The key is stuck in the ignition and nothing I've tried will help. This runs down the battery. Repair shop said it may be the ignition module needs replacing $400 - $600. GM does not make them like they used to. Looking into other makes that are reliable.
    rphill08 said:

I have not had an issue with it not starting, just no acceleration. Now I have another issue this vehicle. The key is stuck in the ignition and nothing I've tried will help. This runs down the battery. Repair shop said it may be the ignition module needs replacing $400 - $600. GM does not make them like they used to. Looking into other makes that are reliable.

There should be a wy to get the key out I believe, little cover over something on the steering column perhaps. Remove that and something like a pen or other pointy thing inserted and pushed down should allow key to be taken out. The stuck condition may be due to a number of things besides the ignition module
    lundy48 said:

This happened to me this morning. Tomorrow my wife is being induced and today my car does this. But from what I've been reading, no one says anything about the car not starting afterwards. My car wont start, just a loud clicking noise when i try to start it. Anyone have any ideas? Im charging the battery at the moment in hopes this will work.

Hi Lundy48,

Very sorry for this! We understand how unsettling this may seem, and we would be more than happy to provide any additional assistance. Please send us an e-mail at socialmedia@gm.com and include your VIN, current mileage, contact information and a preferred dealership. We look forward to your response!

Patsy G
    GM Customer Care
  • stephb2stephb2 Member Posts: 5
    I am having this same issue with my 2009 Impala now (Traction control/reduced power/engine light). I also just had it repaired two weeks ago because I could not turn the key all the way to the off position and could not remove the key. The dealer said it was a broken wire from ignition to the shifter.
    Key stuck in ignition. I fixed it myself by removing the center shift console. There was a disconnected yellow wire found on the wire harness to the right of the shifter. I reconnected it and I was then able to remove the key from the ignition.
  • ranger1108ranger1108 Member Posts: 4
    Everyone who has this problem needs to file a complaint with the National Highway and Traffic Safety Institute (NHTSA) If enough complaints are filed, something WILL happen. Forget GM, they already have your money and are not interested in fixing the issue.
  • ranger1108ranger1108 Member Posts: 4
    I have spent over $1,000.00 on this issue and it has not helped. New throttle body, new accelerator position sensor, new wiring clip to throttle body, and more. Still have problem. Car just shuts off. Told my wife that if something happens to me because of this, sue them for as much as you can get.

I have spent over $1,000.00 on this issue and it has not helped. New throttle body, new accelerator position sensor, new wiring clip to throttle body, and more. Still have problem. Car just shuts off. Told my wife that if something happens to me because of this, sue them for as much as you can get.

You must have quite a laundry list of codes coming up to do all that without results , what are they?

• phllyd04phllyd04 Member Posts: 1
    I see I'm not the only one with this issue.  Over the past few years I have spent several thousand dollars replacing different items to try and address this same issue, just picked it up from the dealership where I had it fixed to the tune of $1,000 and on the way home today it did it again!!  I was inches from getting into a serious accident on the highway.  I called Chevy customer service and should be receiving a call back in a few days.  I guess I will just not go to work until they decide to permanently fix this issue!  This will be my last Chevy after years of loyalty and several car purchases.
  • gkelly817gkelly817 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem out of my 2009 Chevy impala....looked on here to see if I could get a start on how to go about fixing the problem....no luck...this is my second impala. Starting not to like Chevy anymore....where is the recall
  • wwang71wwang71 Member Posts: 1
    My 06 impala got "Service Traction Control" message most of times on slippery road and a few times on dry land. Nowadays the car would jerk when I accelerate after a red light to green light.

I got so many problems with the car: 2 wheel bearings, air blower actuator, door lock actuator...
    It's just feel unsafe to drive a Chevy.
  • mikeylikesit70mikeylikesit70 Member Posts: 3
    linda00 said:

When I am driving on (usually) wet or slippery pavement the traction control light will go off in tandem with engine light. The messages will alternately read service traction control and reduced engine power. Upon turning the car off for a while, the traction control light will be off when the car is re-started but the engine light will stay on for a day or so and then go off. It is a 2010 Impala that I bought at a dealership that was a rental car. Is anyone else having this problem and did they get it resolved? The dealership can't seem to find the problem.

• mikeylikesit70mikeylikesit70 Member Posts: 3
    Hello, New user here, I read this whole conversation on Tuesday. I saw all the symptoms you guys were having, they looked familiar to mine. I promptly went to support.gm.com there i found a 1800 number, told the lady what was going on, she asked me my last eight of my vin, and she put me on hold for a few minutes, when she came back she said that this will be covered by Chevy for 120k miles or 10 years. She said the dealership will call me to set an appointment. I took my 2010 Impala to the dealership today, the mechanic ran the codes, and ordered the part, and it is the gas pedal, which will be replaced at no cost to me on Monday.

GET IT FIXED FOR FREE!!!!!!!

Hope this helps, Mike
  • sammietc3sammietc3 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,     just like most of it you on here,  I have issues with my 2008 Impala SS, bought it Feb 2014, Car Fax showed no issues, that only routine oil changes were performed, got it with 84k on it,  at 86k I had the transmission replaced,  the car just stopped moving.  At 120k I had to have the power steering hose fixed,  it just started leaking..  Now at 139k I have the same transmission problems,  this time though we found a broken seal.. Car now shifts,  but still shifts hard. .  My impala is supposed to be 4/8 cylinder but only seems to be running in 8 cylinder mode.. Fuel mileage has declined drastically.  Changing spark plugs as I type this,  hopefully I fix something.. Love this car, but not sure it will last the life of my loan..  Disappointed..  Dealerships are no help... 

• blancaer13blancaer13 Member Posts: 1
    I've been having the same problems with traction control, service engine, reduced engine power and two months ago it also shut down on the interstate (2009 Impala). GM sent service notice to repair but it limited the mileage to 120,000.  I have 134,000 so it doesn't cover my car.  Since GM doesn't call it a recall, the repair is up to me.  I didn't cause this problem and it apparently is widespread, so shouldn't they be proactive or are they gonna wait to go before Congress again and try to say they had no knowledge these problems were widespread.  It's only a matter of time before someone gets killed when the car shuts down on the freeway. It will happen.  Very very disappointed in GM. We've been Chevy owners all our lives but are really thinking twice about our next purchase.
  • jaltongallojaltongallo Member Posts: 5
    Dealers only make so much when they sell you are a car, 10-20%. The real money is made off of fixing problems with your car, I have relatives who are General Managers at Chevy and they laugh about all the thousands of dollars they make off of stupid idiot people bringing their cars in.
    WARNING MOST PARTS THAT WE ARE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH ARE MADE IN CHINA

THANKS GEORGE BUSH
    ALSO GO TO YOUTUBE AND THEY WILL SHOW YOU HOW TO INSTALL NEW ACCELERATOR POSITION SENSOR......CAN BE PURCHASED AT ROCKAUTO.COM FOR LESS THAN $90.00
    I had the same problem traction control and code PO171 . Come to find out had vacuum leak from PCV valve to throttle body. This caused a lean condition and somehow caused traction control lights to come on. Fixed the leak and pulled the fuses under the hood for 30 seconds to clear codes. Total coast 0
    WARNING WARNING......VACUUM LEAKS AND LOOSE GAS CAPS CAUSE ECMs TO GO CRAZY. ALL KINDS OF TROUBLE CODES, TRANSMISSON SHIFTS HARD, GAS MILEAGE GOES TO HELL, CHECK ALL HOSES ON ENGINE FOR CRACKS AND BAD CONNECTIONS. MY PCV VALVE IS NON-REPLACEABLE, ONLY A JET HOLE IN A PCV, NO SPRING-OPEN ALL THE TIME.
  • yelovetteryelovetter Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2014 Impala with approximately 35k miles and I have the following warnings simultaneously: Service Stabilitrack, Service Brake Assist AND Service Traction Control.

I'm assuming it's a computer glitch since they all came on at once and continue to all be on. Can someone confirm this for me before I get it up to the dealer?
  • donnestdonnest Member Posts: 1
    Sorry to see these problems and I am late for the party. I had bought a 2004 Impala in 2006. It turned out to be the best car I ever had. It had 43,000 miles on it when I bought it, and when I moved up to a 2010 Impala it had over 325,000 miles on it. It still got over 27 MPG. It's sitting in my driveway waiting for my son to put it on the road.

The 2010 Implala gave me a similar problem to what has been described here. Traction control light with loss of engine power. If you think about it, I don't see how any sensor in the gas pedal or wheel hub will cause a loss of power. I took it back to where I bought it and they put their code reader on it. It replied that there was a problem with the throttle body. The mechanic told me it was probably dirty. All it is is a butterfly with a sensor on it. The sensor measures the amount of air/fuel mixture as you drive. With the butterfly stuck or sticking you are not getting the power that you should be getting. The car senses this lack of power and turns off the traction control.

I watched a video on YouTube showing exactly how to remove and clean the throttle body. Since I did this a couple of months ago there has been no further incident. Cost was about $7 or $8 for a can of Carburetor/Throttlebody cleaner. Hope this helps.
  • samcrowther572samcrowther572 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Chevy Malibu and it by far the worst vehicle i have ever driven. It has nothing but issues. I have only had the car for about a year and a half and i have had the starter replaced, power steering fixed and now i am having a traction control problem. My car seems to struggle getting out of first of second gear. Pressing the accelator a bit too hard makes the traction control light come on and seems to affect the car even more. I have to try and get my car to a least 40 mph just to make it up a hill but once im on the hill the speed with reduce and pressing the gas pedal doesnt help. I have had the car tell me reduced power only a couple of times. I replaced the throttle body which was $145 and the car ran different for about 10 miles then went back to barely accelerating. I really want to just get rid of the car because its had nothing but problems but if there is a chance i could only spend 300 or 400 dollars to fix it then im down for it. Winter is coming up and its only gonna make things worse.
  • crazorbaqcrazorbaq Member Posts: 1
    We own a 2011 Chevy Impala that JUST did this for the first time. PLEASE PEOPLE! this is a covered service free of charge for Chevy Impala years 2009-2011! Call the Gm customer support at 1-866-636-2273 they will contact your nearest GM dealer and get you set up to have this repaired FREE OF CHARGE!!!!!!!
  • taymj94taymj94 Member Posts: 2
    I don't know how this works, so I hope someone can help me! I bought a used 2006 Chevy Impala in July or August. Today, December 5th, I experienced the "Service Traction Control" and "Engine Power Reduced." I am aware this is a reoccurring problem and a popular one at that among Chevy/GM for some reason. Was there something the company has done to address this issue? I just got this car and I just experienced this problem so I didn't know about it prior to this day. From what I've read it's commonly the throttle body? Is there a recall on that?
  • taymj94taymj94 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2015

• andyz3andyz3 Member Posts: 10
    I own a 2011 as well. with the same gas pedal issues and my dealer is repairing mine for free.
  • king1981king1981 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2016
    2013 Chevrolet Impala Limited LT. Car has 57,000 miles on it. When stopped and making a turn (in either direction) there is a grinding noise. This is intermittent and each time it occurs the traction control light appears. When this happens it is hard to control the vehicle and has almost caused me to wreck. In addition, the car is losing power when it should be able to coast down a hill. Also, the brakes are really tight. This is a safety hazard and I fear for the safety of my child and my elserly parents that I take care of. I put my trust in a Chevrolet product that is well under a power train warranty and I feel that this should be covered as well as recalled. So many people have had this issue and had near death experiences. Please help me. I really do not want to regret my purchase. 
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Sounds like some kind of malfunction in the Stability Control. You'd best get it into the dealer if you are still under warranty. It's impossible to diagnose this problem remotely aside from making some wild guesses, like a yaw (tilt) sensor or steering angle sensor going bad.
  • king1981king1981 Member Posts: 2
    Sounds like some kind of malfunction in the Stability Control. You'd best get it into the dealer if you are still under warranty. It's impossible to diagnose this problem remotely aside from making some wild guesses, like a yaw (tilt) sensor or steering angle sensor going bad.

Would this be covered under the power train 100,000 mile warranty. 
  • money_pit07money_pit07 Member Posts: 1
    As I read everyone's post I don't feel so alone. I love my impala but 5 months ago my service traction control popped up and I lots power. Took it to get fixed cost me $300 now it's happiness again. Can anyone please tell me why it's happing.
  • rlucius5rlucius5 Member Posts: 1
    I have been having the exact same problem with my 2008 Chevy Impala. It has 121,000 miles on it. The Service Traction Control light comes on and there is power loss in the car. I fear that I am going to get into an accident while my baby boy is in the car. I am hoping that there is a sold fix for this because it is dangerous! I can't believe with so many people experiencing the same problem that a recall has not been made!! Ridiculous!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The problem is that it isn't one problem, You could have ten different cars with ten different solutions.

@money_pit07 : What was your fix?
  • tburkettburket Member Posts: 1
    Same problem with my 2014 Impala LTZ Limited. I take the car to the car wash and 2 or 3 days later the Service Traction Control and Engine Power Reduced alerts pop up. I can spray the brake calipers out with air or wash out with water and the lights don't come back on until the car goes back to the car wash. I had the car in the shop last week and they washed with a pressure washer. Same thing happened. The car is back in the shop with them telling me that they have no idea what the issue is.