Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Outback vs Jeep Cherokee | Off-Road Wagon Takes on an Off-Road SUV Video | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited February 2015 in General
imageSubaru Outback vs Jeep Cherokee | Off-Road Wagon Takes on an Off-Road SUV Video | Edmunds.com

Two crossovers: one more like a wagon, the other more like an SUV. Both provide better off-roading capabilities than the typical crossover while being just as impressive on the well-beaten path.

Read the full story here

Comments

• redgeminiparedgeminipa Member Posts: 74
    One thing that never gets discussed in these comparisons, which is important to many buyers, is retained value. Subaru wins that in a landslide.
  • sharpendsharpend Member Posts: 177
    The Subaru is also going to be much more reliable.
  • oldparnelloldparnell Member Posts: 37
    Just ordered a Outback Limited 2.5 for my wife, I never even considered the Cherokee. Our comparisons were the allroad, Venza and Crosstour. I could almost see a comparison between a base Outback and Trailhawk Cherokee for the younger crowd, but for us aging CPA's and school teachers, a nice cushy Outback fits the bill.
  • rocky2020rocky2020 Member Posts: 1
    Got to give bonus points to the 2015 Subaru Outback for winning the Consumer Reports facebook fans vote in the category of "a vehicle that is currently available in the U.S. that they want to live with as a daily driver" with 25% of the vote. And the Subaru Forester with 24%, followed by the Highlander (23%) and the CR-V (17%), then the Tesla S (10%). Plus winning "IIHS Top Safety Pick+ winner" accolades, again.
  • noel50noel50 Member Posts: 1
    Factor in reliability, cost of ownership (gas MPGs, insurance, maintenance, etc.), safety, capacity, and retained value, it is not even close: Subaru in a walk.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Where are you @rsholland‌? B)
  • sviseksvisek Member Posts: 35
    edited February 2015
    Didn't drive the Outback when we were shopping for a new crossover for my wife, but compared the Forester Touring, Cherokee Limited, and Honda CR-V Touring. Before shopping based on all the reviews and "...of the Year" honors, I was expecting the finishing order to be Honda 1st, Subaru 2nd, and Jeep 3rd.

I drove the Jeep first and was stunned, just blown away by the quality and luxury of the ride and just how solid and quiet it was. I was especially thrilled with the awesome adaptive cruise system, and I knew my wife would love the parallel parking system and the heated steering wheel.

I drove the Subaru immediately after the Jeep, as the dealership was just down the street. A very honest, practical car with no pretensions. Although not the equal of the Jeep in terms of luxury, quietness or with the same weighty, substantial feel, it was every bit as good, just different. The Eyesight system was very good, though not as smooth in operation as the Jeep.

I left the Subaru dealer wishing I could get the Cherokee for my wife and the Forester for me. Arriving at the Honda dealership I had high hopes that the CR-V would be the happy medium and a bit better than the other two vehicles, as it was new for 2015 and had just won the Motor Trend SUV of the Year award over the Cherokee which apparently had missed the cut for the 2014 competition(won by the Forester) despite being on dealer lots in October 2013. Styling was uninspired, not like the stand out Cherokee(very attractive in person in Limited trim) or the honest plainness of the Forester, but its a Honda so that can be forgiven because you get epic Honda quality and reliability. The salesman gushed about the award and about how good the new CR-V was. I drove the top Touring trim, of which the dealer had two to choose from. One block from the dealership I returned the first for the second one, thinking the first was just a bad apple. The second was no better. What a piece of junk! No one who cross-shops this with the Forester and Jeep could possibly buy the CR-V. What stood out most was how loud it was, especially compared to tomb-like Cherokee. Also a disaster was the adaptive cruise system, a joke compared to those on the Subaru or Jeep. What surprised me most was the feeling of low quality of the Honda. What happened? Perhaps the funniest thing was having to tell the salesman how the Honda wasn't even in the same league as the Subaru or Jeep. I tried to cushion the blow and be diplomatic. What was funny is that it was if he didn't hear a word I said, just kept going on and on about how good the Honda was. Guy must have been on drugs.

On this video test, I was surprised that the main advantages of the Jeep, the substantial feel, the great ride and quietness(at least on the Limited, not sure about the Trailhawk), and the Tech package and luxury features(and awesome full moonroof) were not even mentioned. I suggest driving both Jeep and Subaru and picking what works best for your personality and needs. We placed our order and took delivery about 10 days ago of my wife's new 2015 Cherokee Limited, V6, Active Drive I, loaded(but no tow pkg. or off-road suspension), in Billet Silver with the Blue/Brown Luxury Pkg. interior. So far we are very happy. Hopefully will still like it in 5 years when it becomes my daily driver for its second 5 years.
  • bryanmort1bryanmort1 Member Posts: 1
    We have the 2014 Trailhawk for 20,000 miles driven to date.  On road and aggressive off road use.

Subaru cannot touch it!

I can also flat tow Trailhawk behind motorhome.  Subaru owners manual says it voids warrentee.  No matter what sale person says!

We have a Toyota Avalon and we prefer driving the Trailhawk as our daily driver!

People come up to me and tell me "what a cool looking car".

When has your Outback or Forester done this to you?

Then go off road, I mean really off road!

We're are the skid plates on the Subaru?

We're is the low range 4 wheel drive with locking rear differential?

18 speeds forward and 2 speeds rearward with high and low range that are shiftable in the automatic transmission Trailhawk.

The reviewers of this Jeep Trailhawk didn't read the inch and a half thick owners manual before they rated this automobile.

Buy the lifetime Mopar warrentee on line at a $1,200.00 discount for $ 2,000.00 and you are in heaven.

Every oilchage I mention the Mopar lifetime warrentee if something just might turn up and they get real honest and helpful!

They also volunteer the news about newly released or upcoming software  downloads that are available or coming shortly!  

Buy a Jeep and you are in a much different league! You go to places and see places, wildlife others dream of.

Sorry Honda, Subaru.  I have test drove you!  You don't stack up!

Sincerely

• outie_quattrooutie_quattro Member Posts: 1
    2 videos that will make a Jeep guy that bought a cherokee Trailhawk pucker...https://youtu.be/FvhjZwT81UE, and https://youtu.be/fAez1x-fPJ4 Eat it Jeep guy...plus your outranged by the 555 mile 4pot outback and the 538 mile H6 while your Trailhawck only gets 380+ miles in a tank and only towes 2000 lbs. WTF JEEP! Outclassed by Jeep possibly...outgunned? by the Suberu actually...that jeep needs to lose some weight or gain some HP to be quicker...
  • strmanstrman Member Posts: 3
    Trust me. Don't even get suckered into the Jeep. I have owned a fully loaded leathered Trailhawk for 8 months and over three months of it has been living Hell. This corporation should be charged with fraud. The 9 speed tranny is horrible and they cannot fix it. The Customer Care is a charade. Check out cargurus and research it.
    After 3 months of service calls wasted, they finally admitted to me that my "Trail Rated" Trailhawk will never be able to drive through a sandy beach without the tranny overheating. No kidding! They can't fix it so they just claim "Opeating as intended".
    I'm trading mine for another Outback and I drove my 2005 Outback XT all over the beaches for 6 years without problems.
    BTW, my Cherokee lost over 10,000 dollars during the first 8 months so what does that tell you about the piece of junk?
  • strmanstrman Member Posts: 3

We have the 2014 Trailhawk for 20,000 miles driven to date.  On road and aggressive off road use.

Subaru cannot touch it!

I can also flat tow Trailhawk behind motorhome.  Subaru owners manual says it voids warrentee.  No matter what sale person says!

We have a Toyota Avalon and we prefer driving the Trailhawk as our daily driver!

People come up to me and tell me "what a cool looking car".

When has your Outback or Forester done this to you?

Then go off road, I mean really off road!

We're are the skid plates on the Subaru?

We're is the low range 4 wheel drive with locking rear differential?

18 speeds forward and 2 speeds rearward with high and low range that are shiftable in the automatic transmission Trailhawk.

The reviewers of this Jeep Trailhawk didn't read the inch and a half thick owners manual before they rated this automobile.

Buy the lifetime Mopar warrentee on line at a $1,200.00 discount for $ 2,000.00 and you are in heaven.

Every oilchage I mention the Mopar lifetime warrentee if something just might turn up and they get real honest and helpful!

They also volunteer the news about newly released or upcoming software  downloads that are available or coming shortly!  

Buy a Jeep and you are in a much different league! You go to places and see places, wildlife others dream of.

Sorry Honda, Subaru.  I have test drove you!  You don't stack up!

Sincerely

bryanmort,

Take your Trailhawk to the beach or anywhere there is soft sand. It will do ok for a little while until your Tranny temp gets up around 200 degrees. Then it craps out just like a CRV when people take them on the beach. The back wheels are released and you are stranded until it cools down. Then your MIL light comes on. Very poorly designed transmission and depreciating faster than any car that I have owned.
    But by now you probaly have already discoved that like the rest of the victims. "Trail Rated" unless the trail has sand.......