Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Adding a Line-X Spray-On Bedliner - 2015 Ford F-150 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited February 2015 in Ford
imageAdding a Line-X Spray-On Bedliner - 2015 Ford F-150 Long-Term Road Test

Our 2015 Ford F-150 came without any sort of bedliner, so we decided to have a Line-X spray-on bedliner applied before it got scratched up.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    jeepsrtjeepsrt Member Posts: 88
    That actually looks really good, I watched them prep my truck when I got the Line-X put in and it's a cool system. Looking forward to posts on how this new Ford drives.
  • Options
    grijongrijon Member Posts: 147
    This is cool; I didn't know Line-X could be color matched.
  • Options
    ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    Wow, that is very cool! It looks factory-spec. Great write-up, thanks.
  • Options
    adamb1adamb1 Member Posts: 122
    How much would they charge to shoot the entire truck?
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    I'm thinking that if it was still tacky when the fasteners went back in, that would be enough to make them pretty damn tough to remove if they ever need to be removed...this is the weakness of having them do it - if you were to do it yourself, you'd wait until the 24 hours was up to reinstall those fasteners, but these folks need to wrap it up and on to the next truck.

That said, this is a really good move...since your LT ownership is designed to mimic as closely as possible what an average vehicle owner experiences, I have wondered (along with many other commenters) why you have never had bedliners until now. Not too many owners will pay $45k-$50k for a luxury truck, and then allow the paint in the bed to be all gouged up, in order to save approximately one car payment's worth of money.
  • Options
    s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    great post. would never have thought of a color matched bed liner but that looks really good.
  • Options
    chol92594chol92594 Member Posts: 208
    Looks good! I'll have to remember this when my dad eventually replaces his aging Tundra.
  • Options
    dmosdmos Member Posts: 8
    I learned something new today. I like many above was not aware of the colour matching ability for a bed liner. It never really occurred to me to matter since on my old truck I always had a cap or a tonneau over the bed - you'd never see if it was anything other than black. This makes much more sense in the southern USA where you don't have to worry about keeping the snow out of your bed to use it in winter. Speaking of winter, in the Rust Belt this procedure is necessary, scratched paint in the bed is just an invitation to rust on any other truck. This is the one you actually COULD have left alone!
  • Options
    sharpendsharpend Member Posts: 177
    edited February 2015
    It looks so good that you now need another bedliner to protect the bedliner!
  • Options
    darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    It looks great. The color matching is beautiful. Totally worth an extra $300 vs. a black spray-on bed liner or any sort of slide-in. And I agree with @miata52-- now hit it with a hammer to see if it makes the truck more or less costly to repair!
  • Options
    hank39hank39 Member Posts: 144
    Great article. Appreciate the informative write-up and pictures to boot!
  • Options
    buzerd03buzerd03 Member Posts: 5
    a bed liner seems to be one of those things that everyone gets but few actually need. Unless you are using your truck commercially and it's going to get beat up then why get one? So what if you bed gets scratched? it's a freakin truck bed, not the hood! It's soul purpose is to carry things- dirt, motorcycles, dressers, campers....
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited February 2015
    Somehow the words in your post got swapped around - did you mean to say:

"a truck seems to be one of those things that everyone gets but few actually need." :)

I think one of the attractions is that you can easily spend $50k on a pickup these days, so another $1,000 to protect the bed will make you worry less about scratching it up.
  • Options
    buzerd03buzerd03 Member Posts: 5
    Stever- you certainly aren't totally off with that "a truck seems to be one of those things that everyone gets but few actually need."
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You got one I can borrow? I need to make a dump run. B)
  • Options
    d_d_in_kyd_d_in_ky Member Posts: 7
    We went 9 years without a truck. I missed it whenever it snowed (lived in Michigan) or when I went to the lumber yard. Didn't miss the extra stops at the gas stations though. As for the spray on liner: Your looks great and the color matching was an awesome choice. On our '15 Ford, we opted for the Ford bed mat ($130) ordered through the dealer. This, at first was a concession to my wife because I was under the philosophy "... I have never worn out a truck bed". Once again, my wife was right in her demands. The mat looks good and there is no more " oil canning" of the sheet metal when I walk around in the box. Wondering if you notice this flexing prior to adding the spray on. My weight is 225 lbs. We also bought a set of wheel well liners for the rear. Also ordered through the dealer.
  • Options
    mittzombiemittzombie Member Posts: 162
    SO you spent more than I spent on repairs in 10 years to protect a truck bed from a some scratches?

Not like an aluminum truck would ever rust anyway...