Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Oversensitive Blind-Spot Monitor - 2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited February 2015 in Nissan
imageOversensitive Blind-Spot Monitor - 2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Long-Term Road Test

Oversensitive Blind-Spot Monitor in the Edmunds long-term 2014 Nissan Rogue.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tatermctatumstatermctatums Member Posts: 107
    With the exception of carpool lanes, the left most lane is the PASSING lane. Get into to pass someone and then get back into the right hand lane. The left lane is not for cruising.
  • Options
    chol92594chol92594 Member Posts: 208

With the exception of carpool lanes, the left most lane is the PASSING lane. Get into to pass someone and then get back into the right hand lane. The left lane is not for cruising.

Legally speaking, it depends on the local jurisdiction. Some states require that the left lane be used strictly for passing, while others allow drivers to remain in the leftmost lane as long as there isn't any traffic behind them. I'd say that most sensible drivers will cruise in the left lane if they don't have any traffic immediately behind them and are going faster than the average car in the next lane over. There's no sense in constantly changing lanes to pass cars that are going a bit slower than you if you can continuously occupy the left lane when there isn't any immediate traffic behind you.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Most states restrict use of the left lane by slow-moving traffic that is not passing." (link)

In this case, the LLC may not have actually been camping but may have moved over to let Mark merge into the middle lane to avoid merging traffic at the next ramp.
  • Options
    schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    This isn't enforced in CA. Nobody drives like that here.
  • Options
    tatermctatumstatermctatums Member Posts: 107
    I live in upstate NY and its not against the law here either, but it should be. And since I didn't clarify before, if you're going like 20 mph faster than everyone else then yes, stay in the passing lane. Changing lanes every other second would be absurd. Just don't cruise in the passing lane at 3 mph faster than the right lane. That's my main complaint, mostly because it happens all of the time where I live.
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Hilarious. I live in Western New York and that is one of my favorite moves. From a slavish overuse of cruise control.
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Also, I am willing to have a blind spot monitor in a car ONLY on the condition that it works correctly. Why put up with the distraction of an apparent 100% replicable (not "occasional") false alarm condition? I don't need a system that doesn't do its thing as well as I can do it.
  • Options
    carolinabobcarolinabob Member Posts: 576

I live in upstate NY and its not against the law here either, but it should be. And since I didn't clarify before, if you're going like 20 mph faster than everyone else then yes, stay in the passing lane. Changing lanes every other second would be absurd. Just don't cruise in the passing lane at 3 mph faster than the right lane. That's my main complaint, mostly because it happens all of the time where I live.

If you are driving 20 MPH faster than everyone else AND they are doing the speed limit, you are a dangerous driver and your license should be revoked. Very, very doubtful that "everyone else" in the right lane is doing 20 MPH under the speed limit.
    If everyone in right lane is doing the speed limit, then anybody can drive in the left lane at only 3 MPH more.
    Another factor is that in many locations (too many), the left lane is the exit lane from the interstate. This creates lots of problems.
    BTW, never had any problems with blind spot monitors - work like they are supposed to. Even if picking up a car "two lanes over," this is a GOOD thing because the car may move into the adjacent lane while you are trying to do the same.
    Also, regardless of laws (probably none), everyone in the South drives in ALL the lanes. Some stay in left lane permanentely even when traffic in right lane is travelling 5-10 MPH over the limit.
  • Options
    danielbrian142danielbrian142 Member Posts: 11
    Try using the blind spot system in the Rogue in the rain. It lights up like a christmas tree. The water causes false positives. The local dealer, in downtown Nashville, said there's nothing they can do, and its a design flaw. I totally regret this car purchase. Especially since it has been in the shop with the dealer 4 times to repair rattles in the dash and sunroof.