Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lease Return with very low miles - '13 Leaf

maverick2coolmaverick2cool Member Posts: 23
edited January 2015 in Nissan
Hi All,

I leased 2013 Nissan Leaf SL in March 2013. My lease term was 2 year 12K/Year. But so far I have driven only 11K miles. I am no that interested in buying this car. When I return this car which has only 11K miles in 2 years, do i get any money back or some incentive if i lease next car from Nissan/Infiniti?

Thank You!
Mav

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    If you just turn it back in, you'll get nothing..

If, by chance, the car is worth more than the residual, you could possibly trade it in for another car before the lease is up, and realize some of the equity. But, given the incentives on the Leaf when new, that seems doubtful.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited January 2015
    Or if by some chance there was a LOT of equity left, you could buy the car and then flip it.

Edmunds shows dealer retail at $22,800. That seems really high to me. What's your residual?
  • maverick2coolmaverick2cool Member Posts: 23
    Hi kyfdx and Mr_Shiftright,

Thank you for your reply and of sorry for the late update.

Residual for my 2013 Nissan Leaf as per the document is $23113.00. The car is in excellent condition except that it has not been washed for 6-7 months. :smile:

KBB values this car for 19194 when I select the trade-in option. But when i select buy used KBB lists the car for 22K something.

So what all my options if I want to lease new car or just want to get out of lease?

Mav
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200

Hi kyfdx and Mr_Shiftright,

Thank you for your reply and of sorry for the late update.

Residual for my 2013 Nissan Leaf as per the document is $23113.00. The car is in excellent condition except that it has not been washed for 6-7 months. :smile:

KBB values this car for 19194 when I select the trade-in option. But when i select buy used KBB lists the car for 22K something.

So what all my options if I want to lease new car or just want to get out of lease?

Mav

Since you don't have any equity in the car, you'll just have to turn it in... If you lease another car through NMAC, then they will waive the disposition fee on the Leaf.

That's about it..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• pangarkarpangarkar Member Posts: 14
    I have a similar situation except I'd like to turn in my leaf sooner than the end date of the lease. I have about 9500 miles but I am only getting about 40-50 miles per charge. Is there a penalty if I turn it in earlier. Trying to get it declared a lemon but Nissan says that it is working fine (yes only 40-50miles per full charge!!!).
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,145
    pangarkar said:

I have a similar situation except I'd like to turn in my leaf sooner than the end date of the lease. I have about 9500 miles but I am only getting about 40-50 miles per charge. Is there a penalty if I turn it in earlier. Trying to get it declared a lemon but Nissan says that it is working fine (yes only 40-50miles per full charge!!!).

No penalty other than the money due (residual value + total of remaining payments).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• xando05xando05 Member Posts: 42
    I have a 2012 Nissan LEAf SL. Here are some comments to this forum question....

1) Nissan will supposedly allow you to turn the vehicle in early, but only if you commit to purchasing another Nissan product.

2) My 2012 LEAF has 23,000 miles. Yes, 23,000 miles. My unscrupulous Nissan Dealer told me that Nissan is only offering 15k/year leases on the LEAF. Is/was this true? I wanted a 10K/year lease!!!

3) I to, am only getting about 40-50 miles on a full charge. It is a disgrace.