Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Need a cheap car with low miles. Stripped, no extras.

pterman505pterman505 Member Posts: 2
edited February 2015 in General
I want a reliable car, don't need AC, radio, cd player, power windows, or powered locks. Just a reliable car that drives and has heating. I don't know what kind of models I should be looking at.

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,042

I want a reliable car, don't need AC, radio, cd player, power windows, or powered locks. Just a reliable car that drives and has heating. I don't know what kind of models I should be looking at.

New or used? Do you have a budget? 2 doors, 4 doors, SUV?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited February 2015
    We have "cheapest" new car lists - see the Best Cars Lists page.

And we also have a Best Used Cars for 2014 list. Those cars are more focused on "value" than price though.

Finding a "stripper" any more is a bit tough. The Nissan Versa usually wins the crown for least expensive new car. Another inexpensive new one is the Chevy Spark.

All cars are pretty reliable these days.
  • pterman505pterman505 Member Posts: 2
    Definitely want a used car, with under 100,000 miles. My budget is as low as you can get, nothing over $3,500 is realistic.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited February 2015
    It's tough - I sold my '97 Outback for $3,400 last April. It had just under 100k miles and most everything on it still worked (although that model is known for failing head gaskets around those miles). In a wealthier area, I could have held out for another $1,000 and probably got it. That sold with a sign on it. I also sold a miled up minivan around the same time for $750 through craigslist. It ran fine but was miled up and in rough shape, no working AC, etc. I've always had good luck buying and selling stuff on craigslist but there are some scams going on.

So the cheap used cars are out there, but finding one that's cheap and runs is the hard part.

This forum member/salesperson is up in BC but he offers an interesting perspective (and check out the follow-up posts in that thread). Maybe you can befriend a small lot owner and have the lot be on the lookout for something for you.