Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Properly Balanced - 2015 Porsche Macan S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited February 2015 in Porsche
imageProperly Balanced - 2015 Porsche Macan S Long-Term Road Test

When we got our 2015 Porsche Macan S back from Stokes Tire Repair, they had balanced all of the tires to the recommended spec.

Read the full story here

Comments

• jeepsrtjeepsrt Member Posts: 88
    I check mine once a week, it's nice having a compressor at home so I can check/adjust when they are cold.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Actually, I've learned that the one time to check is right after you buy new tires. I bought new tires for my Miata which would typically have between 26 and 28 psi in them and the tires were all over the place. Some cranked up beyond 36 psi, others at a still-high 32 psi. I appreciate the machines that have the digital gauge and take credit cards as well (since I never have change). Makes testing and adjusting it a piece of cake.
  • grijongrijon Member Posts: 147
    Realistically, once or twice a month per vehicle.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Even if she hits the gas station before the tires have heated up too much to get a valid cold reading, I wouldn't put too much money on the attendent getting it right.
  • farvyfarvy Member Posts: 34
    I try for once a month, with occasional checks of the pressures from the TPSM system in between.
  • darexdarex Member Posts: 187
    It does indeed take a ridiculous amount of driving to calibrate the MINI's TPMS, but only to (re-) initiallize it, following a reset. After that, it is available only after a minute or two of driving.
  • pg123456789pg123456789 Member Posts: 11
    I check mine every second week, but will do it more frequently if there is a sudden temperature change, such as a cool down or a increase in temperature (e.g., in spring and autumn). I'll do it in my enclosed garage in the morning and adjust for the difference between the garage and outside temperature. Also a good idea to get the pressures all round before you add or let out air. This way you know if there is a potential leak if the left and right (front vs rear) are not equal.
  • chol92594chol92594 Member Posts: 208
    I normally try to check mine about once a week, but like other posters, I also check it whenever there's a quick and drastic change in temperature (which we've been getting a lot here in Missouri). I've got a tradition non-digital pressure gauge, but it seems to be pretty accurate and has a handy button that lets me release air while taking a pressure reading. Normally, I'll check the pressures after my car has sat overnight, write them down, and then drive to a gas station down the road from my apartment, which has a free air pump.

I also agree with checking your pressures after you've had any tire/wheel work done. I've gotten my car back after having new tires installed, getting them rotated, etc. and I've had plenty of instances where the pressures are not where they should be.
  • s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    i once decided to check/correct the air pressure on all the tires i own: cars, lawn mower, bikes, yard cart... 30 some tires later...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited February 2015
    FreeAirPump.com may be worth a look for some of y'all. It is handy having the ability to top up your tires at home.

@kirkhilles1, tires on new cars are often pumped up to prevent flat spotting during shipment. The techs are supposed to air them down to the right pressure as part of the new car prep, but it often gets overlooked.
  • cjasiscjasis Member Posts: 274
    I've gotten lazy because all our cars now have TPMS. However, in the old days... I'd check at least once a month and certainly every time before we took a longer trip.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    TPMS is designed to alert you if tires are 25% low...relying on TPMS instead of a tire gauge to keep your tires at correct inflation is like relying on guard rails rather than the steering wheel to keep your car on the road - it will work, but it's not real precise...
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    I still can't believe some manufacturers use TPMS systems that don't actually show the current tire pressure. My ancient 2006 Acura has this feature and it's so useful. I often keep the display on the TPMS and watch the PSI on each tire increase as I'm driving.