Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Power Steering Acting Weird

jekoenigjekoenig Member Posts: 2
edited February 2015 in Saturn
Practicing parallel parking with my daughter today, the steering all of the sudden got VERY tight at low RPMs. Speed it up a little and it was fine. Shut it off for a minute and it was fine (but the problem would come back). This happened after about 15 parking attempts. Drove it home (about 30 miles) and it was fine. Tried some low speed maneuvers this evening - no issue.

I know it has electric power steering so there is no belt or fluid to check. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Jeff

Comments

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    If the steering motor got hot from a lot of use the module will reduce the assist to help it cool off. Under heavy use conditions it would be considered normal.
  • jekoenigjekoenig Member Posts: 2
    That is what I was thinking. Normal use would not involve parallel parking over and over and over and over. LOL Thanks for the response.
  • kermit1etkermit1et Member Posts: 2
    i have an 07 ion and there is a recall on the power steering you might want to check if yours has the same recall