Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,758
    Andres, do fix-it tickets *require* payment or challenge as your only options? Here, you can challenge of course, but the other options are to pay or to fix it. E.g., if you take the ticket to the courthouse and show that you corrected the deficiency before the statutory time limit, the court may dismiss the ticket.

I know a couple guys who have "darker than allowed" tint, and they do get tickets every once in a while, but they just pay them and move on. They apparently like their super-dark tint more than their $.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,095
    It's not money, it's safety! You're being served and protected. Think of the children! The limit really needs to be 35 on a lightly traveled 4 lane road. Those bennies and toys aren't going to pay for themselves, you know.
    andres3 said:

My experience has been if they are confident you were truly speeding (> or = to 15 over the underposted SL) they will give you the speeding ticket first and foremost. That's their bread and butter money maker.

It's $360 vs. $25.

Quick dashcam test on a partly cloudy day:

http://youtu.be/gboqD5Ot61w (select HD for best results)

Still some quirks - I haven't sync'd the time yet, rear cam doesn't seem to work or I don't know where to look for the files. On the positive side, I've got the software going and got my 64gb card formatted and installed, many hours of capacity.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    xwesx said:

Andres, do fix-it tickets *require* payment or challenge as your only options? Here, you can challenge of course, but the other options are to pay or to fix it. E.g., if you take the ticket to the courthouse and show that you corrected the deficiency before the statutory time limit, the court may dismiss the ticket.

I know a couple guys who have "darker than allowed" tint, and they do get tickets every once in a while, but they just pay them and move on. They apparently like their super-dark tint more than their $.

In CA the "fix it" fee is $25. You could call it a bribe, extortion, or an "Admin" fee for making them make sure you really did "fix it."

If you don't fix it, then you'll suffer greater consequences I'm sure. Haven't received the courtesy notice, will let you know if it tells me more when I get it.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    fintail said:

Quick dashcam test on a partly cloudy day:

http://youtu.be/gboqD5Ot61w (select HD for best results)

Still some quirks - I haven't sync'd the time yet, rear cam doesn't seem to work or I don't know where to look for the files. On the positive side, I've got the software going and got my 64gb card formatted and installed, many hours of capacity.

Careful, if too many people buy dash cams gov't will think to require a timer on the video, so they can use markers on the road to verify your speed, and issue speeding tickets at will. Our SCOTUS seems liable to declare any property on or in your car to be property of the State the way they have ruled lately. Perhaps they will have random checkpoints where you are required to hand over at least 64 GB of video.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    I like that the speed is in kilometers. You got up to a whopping 63 mph or so there for a moment. What's the SL on that stretch of highway again? :p

Really nice picture, though, aside from the strange shadow across the bottom that is likely some sort of reflection off the windshield/dash or some such. I have been tempted more than once to get a dash cam, but just haven't taken the plunge yet. It would be fun to record some things apart from just the basic traffic monitoring capability.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    I think that's being a wee bit paranoid :) and maybe overestimating the technical ability of the revenue enforcement/safety warrior industry. Recording and playback can be altered from real time, timestamps and speeds turned off.

If anything, some the LEO community still doesn't want to be on camera at all.

Or, if they go overboard, maybe it will finally create a boiling point.
    andres3 said:

Careful, if too many people buy dash cams gov't will think to require a timer on the video, so they can use markers on the road to verify your speed, and issue speeding tickets at will. Our SCOTUS seems liable to declare any property on or in your car to be property of the State the way they have ruled lately. Perhaps they will have random checkpoints where you are required to hand over at least 64 GB of video.

It's a 60 zone, but I am only going from an on-ramp to an off-ramp, part of my afternoon commute. It was shot at about 1545, so the time is random, almost GMT. I am not a huge speeder most of the time, so the speed display doesn't worry me too much.

The reflection is the dash and my very light colored interior, I think, I might try to aim it higher, but I want to capture the hood/nose of the car too.

I've only honked once since the cam was installed, I am hoping to catch something silly or interesting, too.

xwesx said:

I like that the speed is in kilometers. You got up to a whopping 63 mph or so there for a moment. What's the SL on that stretch of highway again? :p

Really nice picture, though, aside from the strange shadow across the bottom that is likely some sort of reflection off the windshield/dash or some such. I have been tempted more than once to get a dash cam, but just haven't taken the plunge yet. It would be fun to record some things apart from just the basic traffic monitoring capability.

fintail said:

I've only honked once since the cam was installed, I am hoping to catch something silly or interesting, too.

Maybe it will end up being a good luck charm of sorts... No issues ever arise when the dash cam is running! :D
    Around here, it's just a matter of time. Traffic hasn't been bad lately anyway.

But the new cam has. I reviewed the past batch of files, and notice some time last night, the files stopped recording properly - there are mp4 files, but no viewer can open them. Nothing worked today. Now the camera won't turn on at all. Looks like I might have got a defective one, yay.
    xwesx said:

Maybe it will end up being a good luck charm of sorts... No issues ever arise when the dash cam is running! :D

• eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    all the videos have timers already, via their frame rate. so do the traffic-cams that monitor traffic in the northeast. big brother already knows that all the traffic is speeding. some day maybe he will decide to send every driver on the east coast a speeding ticket.

local cops can already can own all your phone data with a warrant - and they can grab your dash cam recordings too if they get the appropriate warrant.
    edited February 2015
    They can also seize your property and finances. What's your point?
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    That's why you should encrypt and PIN/password protect your phone and any other data-carrying devices. Your right against self-incrimination prevents them from forcing you to give up your password.

Note that the same protection does NOT extend to the use of biometrics like fingerprints. You can be forced to give up biometric data (fingerprints, blood samples, DNA). So if you use the fingerprint scanner on newer smartphones, also use a PIN/password.

There's also a trick where you can set a boot password on some phones (iPhones for sure, hit and miss on Android). If you're pulled over, turn off your phone. You can't be compelled to provide the power-on password.

(IANAL disclaimer, of course)
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    Exactly, password protect anything. I already do that with my phone. Do the same with memory.

Camera update - it fired up this morning and appeared to work. However, that means it wasn't on overnight - it started when I started the car. I think there's an issue, maybe related to the rear cam not working, too. Lovely.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    @fintail----what do you use the wi-fi feature for? To connect up with your phone?
    Yep, you can manage it with your phone. I think mostly for configuration, easier than removing the card, putting it in the computer, adjusting settings, then putting it back in the camera. You can also access saved files from the phone, and save them to the phone.

@fintail----what do you use the wi-fi feature for? To connect up with your phone?

elias said:

all the videos have timers already, via their frame rate. so do the traffic-cams that monitor traffic in the northeast. big brother already knows that all the traffic is speeding. some day maybe he will decide to send every driver on the east coast a speeding ticket.

local cops can already can own all your phone data with a warrant - and they can grab your dash cam recordings too if they get the appropriate warrant.

That's why SD flash cards can be mysteriously lost or destroyed, the same as IRS e-mails sometimes mysteriously disappear.
    It wouldn't be hard to kill a micro SD card.

Or just buy a defective one, like I seem to have done - I switched back to the stock card, and the cam now operates perfectly. I went back to the shop, and they said it is possible a bad card can shut it down, as a bad card can shut down modern head units which require memory. I hope that's it. I also have a bad cable causing the rear camera issue, replacement coming next week, as it is apparently proprietary.

On the dumb drivers subject, didn't see much today - people were really slow and didn't understand when to signal, but what's new. While on foot I did see a young woman in an Infiniti Beluga Whale/QX try to make a U-turn where it wouldn't fit, that was amusing.
    Cam is up and running fine today - I got another card and am letting it sit today to see if it works.

A couple more test videos, again best viewed by selecting HD - first, the best part of the car wash, the air dry:

http://youtu.be/otrFdb5Kbq4

Sunny day:

http://youtu.be/egflQdJ2QG8
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Seems to be a lot better quality that the first vid I saw.
  • slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694
    You sure you're in the Seattle area? Too much blue sky...

:p
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    So today I'm sitting in a left turn lane waiting for the green arrow. There are two left turn lanes and I'm in the outside one. Another car is in the inside lane. The straight ahead lane has a green light.

Suddenly the guy next to me cuts across the front of my car and proceeds to go straight ahead. Another car happens to be making a right turn and he ALMOST collides with him!

Later this same morning I'm making a right turn on a green light and out of the corner of my eye I see another car making a right turn ALONGSIDE of me!

Maybe I need a dash cam too!
    Drove a bit today, tested the new card, which is working fine - it appears a defective card might have been behind some of the issues. Didn't see anything worth posting - an aggressively driven 3er and IS250, but those seem to attract a certain douchey demographic to make it not unusual. I won't post silly or absent turn signal use as well, as it is too common.

Some cam examples (as always, best to select HD quality for better viewing):

Camera aimed as before - lots of dash glare - I was headed to check out the old auto auction

Glare, and a nice view of Mt. Rainier to the left

Aimed higher, more sky, but less glare

Less sun, aimed high as before, no glare

Not too bright, aimed lower, passing a nice old Mustang
    I think the higher aimed vids produced a better overall capture. that said, the lower aim does reference the vid slightly better against the reference of the vehicle (and the glare really isn't that big of a deal).

A couple of the earlier test postings did have odd semi-pauses in the video stream for some reason (test 2/3). I thought it was my playback, but none others did it and those wouldn't play w/o doing it.
    I might aim higher on brighter days - as the glare isn't nearly as bad in less light (typical here), and I like to have more of a lower view, as the action will happen there.

I seem to recall some upload hiccups - the videos played fine here. They also look better from the source file than on youtube.
    fintail said:

I seem to recall some upload hiccups - the videos played fine here.

As long as it isn't a recording issue, then no harm, no foul!

Who do you think is more inconsiderate, the bikers, or the R8 driver? I vote for the bikers, as if they were to crash (which is far more likely), it would cause a bigger impact on traffic most likely due to injuries than an R8 driver is likely to sustain. http://youtu.be/8rSDOxUtobQ

By the way, it seems most of the middle and left lane campers were not too oblivious our situationally unaware, though many were guilty of camping. One car did exhibit a clueless lane change attempt that was aborted in time because they actually "looked" before completing the lane change.
    edited February 2015
    I vote for the Audi. His vehicle has a lot more mass, and potential to take out many more bystanders than an errant bike - those usually just keep natural selection going. And someone driving an R8 is probably the type who will be able to buy his way out of accountability, should he crash - especially in a corrupt place like Brazil.

I also find it hard to blame the campers on a road which probably has a ~60mph limit, normal drivers can't be expected to keep an eye out for the devilspawn out in their ill gotten toys. Not like coming up behind someone going 66 when they are going 61.
    edited February 2015
    the bikers and R8 folks seemed considerate enough despite being feloniously fast. the most inconsiderate drivers were those who failed to keep right, while the right & left lanes were very very open. maybe "use rightmost available lane" is not the law in that jurisdiction? nah, probably it's just lazy drivers ignoring the keep-right law.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    edited February 2015
    Definitely the Audi driver. What an idiot. If they want to zip by and vanish in the distance, let them. Nothing in that vid except the Audi driver trying to wag his [non-permissible content removed] around. There is no other explanation when you are driving, let's say, 80 mph, and then you want to go much much faster just because someone passed you. Oh, no, can't have that! I can't have someone out here driving dumber than me!

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• hammerheadhammerhead Member Posts: 907
    Whole lot of combined stupid there.

• ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    edited February 2015
    Just watched (real time, last night on hotel TV) another one of LA's ICONIC police car's/ helicopters/ news helicopter CAR chases. It was a Ford F 150 chase that seem to take the better part of a few hours.
    edited February 2015
    heh, was the Ford the requisite white color?
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    edited February 2015
    stever said:

heh, was the Ford the requisite white color?

Ah, no .... it SEEMED to be a metallic taupe or some such. Now I was wondering if it was one of the new aluminum jobs. It took out a few civilians and crushed a few cop cars. The funny part was @ the last crash (head on) the guy lit up a crack pipe and just chilled in the car.

Can't even make this stuff up !!!
    Bad day in SoCal with the train wreck too (was going to say bad commuting day, but there's never a good one there...).
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Audi driver should be cuffed and taken to anger management class and then have his license ripped up for 6 months..... and the bikers...well...fate will take care of them if they drive like that on public roads. Ask me how I know. :)
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,090
    stever said:

Bad day in SoCal with the train wreck too (was going to say bad commuting day, but there's never a good one there...).

The train accident was in my old home town .. I'll be traveling there in March to visit family.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Audi driver should be cuffed and taken to anger management class and then have his license ripped up for 6 months..... and the bikers...well...fate will take care of them if they drive like that on public roads. Ask me how I know. :)

Yeah, that was just incredibly reckless in that driving environment.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    Fintail's camera made me note this video on the Dispatch. A priest in a Columbus (OH) area city (Pickerington) is injured by teens he confronted after they were doing donuts in the parking lot. Dad gave video to the police when they found car in school parking lot. Cheers for the parent's being a parent even when it hurts.

Click on picture to play video.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/02/23/Pickerington-priest-dragged-by-teens.html

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Michaell said:

stever said:

The train accident was in my old home town .. I'll be traveling there in March to visit family.
    I have close friends in Oxnard. I should email them about this.
    edited February 2015
    Interesting situation. Doesn't look to me like anything went wrong there except the priest hanging onto the door as the driver left. The kids weren't doing anything wrong, the guy comes out highly confrontational, the kid responds somewhat defensive (which is not surprising given the man's approach), apologizes, and leaves.

Perhaps the guy will take a more Christian approach to dealing with this sort of thing in the future, but he probably feels like he's the victim here instead.

And, sorry, but those kids weren't doing "doughnuts." Neither the video nor the tracks in the lot support that argument.
    edited February 2015
    Dumb kids (as to be expected), dumb priest (age and smarts can be mutually exclusive), no donuts (wrong shape).
    xwesx said:

Yeah, that was just incredibly reckless in that driving environment.

On the other hand, playing devil's advocate, the Audi driver seemed skilled, and in control of his vehicle at all times. He weaved smoothly through the slow moving campers in every lane. I'm more with Elias than Fintail on the camping problem. No excuse for that amount of light to moderate traffic taking up every lane randomly like they were. And while they might not be expecting people to be going 250 Km/Hour, you can still look behind you and notice fast moving traffic behind you. I'm not so quick to dismiss the camping problem, especially since the left lane never looked like it was being properly used by anyone. Imagine if the bikes and R8 would have been able to just stay in the fast lane the whole time! Lot less risk there..

Fintail's camera made me note this video on the Dispatch. A priest in a Columbus (OH) area city (Pickerington) is injured by teens he confronted after they were doing donuts in the parking lot. Dad gave video to the police when they found car in school parking lot. Cheers for the parent's being a parent even when it hurts.

Click on picture to play video.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/02/23/Pickerington-priest-dragged-by-teens.html

The priest caused that "accident" on purpose, and therefore it wasn't an accident. I think all the charges on the teens are bogus based on that premise. The driver didn't "hit" the Priest. NO way, NO how.

So the charges that they left the scene of an "accident" are dubious at best. For sure they all acted dumb, but criminally? I don't think so.
    edited February 2015
    On the other hand, playing devil's advocate, the Audi driver seemed skilled, and in control of his vehicle at all times. He weaved smoothly through the slow moving campers in every lane.

I am not arguing the driving skill of any involved; clearly they managed the feat. However, competence behind the wheel has as much to do with raw skill as it does with situational awareness, and that alone should dictate that this was the wrong time for that sort of horseplay.

Camping aside, other drivers on the road should have done exactly what they did do with this sort of game afoot: Be as predictable as possible! LOL
    I wonder if Brazil even has keep right laws, or teaches it in its no doubt minimal drivers ed material. I guess I have different standards for different places. I also think one underestimates the speed a fast car can come up behind you - most drivers watch the road more than the mirror. Go to Germany on an unlimited Autobahn and creep along at 100kmh in the right lane - you won't be able to identify what screams past. On a slower road, it isn't expected. If I went 175mph on a local highway, I wouldn't expect people to see me either.

• hammerheadhammerhead Member Posts: 907
    Baloney. The speed differentials alone were reckless & profoundly inconsiderate. No justification.

• gogogodzillagogogodzilla Member Posts: 707
    edited February 2015
    By the way, it seems most of the middle and left lane campers were not too oblivious our situationally unaware, though many were guilty of camping. One car did exhibit a clueless lane change attempt that was aborted in time because they actually "looked" before completing the lane change.
    Good lord. Both need their licenses revoked. I did notice plenty of left-lane campers, but for the most part... they got over relatively quickly or else kept themselves from doing anything stupid. Here in Maryland, they'd slam on their brakes, lose control, and crash themselves into the cars to the right of them.
    edited February 2015
    hammyhead & others, yes the bikers & r8 driver were all felonious and reckless in most any jurisdiction. but it was refreshing and inspiring to see them be rather considerate about the other traffic, keeping their stupid reckless game between themselves! ( although maybe we missed the rear-cam video showing 14 minivans spinning out and rolling! ? )

if R8 dude or any of the bikers have speedpass/fastpass type transponders, it would be possible to identify them via geotag info in the video cross-referenced with the archived fastpass transponder data.

donuts are very considerate and wicked fun when done in non-church empty parking lots.
    donuts are critically educational to learn how to control a car which wants to swap ends or is sideways.
    drivers who never intentionally did donuts probably have higher accident & insurance rates .
    edited February 2015
    below are license-plate idea sfor next car, for people to view as I pass them on the right with speed delta as considerately low as reasonable. often i *crawl* past on the right. is there *too low* a speed delta?

what is the optimal speed delta between lanes? clearly some people think each lane should be travelling the same doofus 55 mph . or 60 mph. or whatever speed they decree.

as a straw-man, let's say that it is good practice to keep the speed delta somewhere in the double digits. in mph. and let's say that a 1mph speed delta is too low.

KPRITE. KPRIGHT. RIGHT. RIGHTO. KEEPRT. KEPRITE. MOVERYT.
    or... "BRIGHTO" .