Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Holds My Giant Mountain Bike - 2015 Porsche Macan S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited February 2015 in Porsche
imageHolds My Giant Mountain Bike - 2015 Porsche Macan S Long-Term Road Test

I drove our 2015 Porsche Macan to a nearby trailhead and there was just enough room for my extra-large Giant mountain bike.

Read the full story here

Comments

• legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    Nice. I would just disagree with the notion that the lip at the rear edge is a "good thing." I'd rather they figure out a way to get rid of the lip and have a lower liftover height and a the ability to slide things in and out. Having to lift heavy objects out of the trunk is a task I would like to reserve for sedans. I like my wagons and SUVs to have a nice flat floor from the hatch to the seats.
  • chol92594chol92594 Member Posts: 208
    legacygt said:

Nice. I would just disagree with the notion that the lip at the rear edge is a "good thing." I'd rather they figure out a way to get rid of the lip and have a lower liftover height and a the ability to slide things in and out. Having to lift heavy objects out of the trunk is a task I would like to reserve for sedans. I like my wagons and SUVs to have a nice flat floor from the hatch to the seats.

I can agree with this, especially since your average SUV/crossover rides a bit higher than the average sedan/wagon/hatchback.

On another note, one thing I can't stand are the aluminum/chrome garnishes that manufacturers are starting to put on the sills of cargo areas. They look nice when the car is new, but they get scratched and dinged up over time, which makes them an eyesore. Yeah, the same abuse would happen to any hard plastic in the same place, but it wouldn't be as obvious. I recently detailed a neighbor's 2014 Audi Q7 and most of the rear lift gate sill is finished with chrome trim. It was badly scratched and really stood out on such a new car. I went over it with some chrome polish, but it only helped so much.
  • legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    @chol92594, agreed. I guess I can deal with the chrome if the idea is to provide a lower friction surface for sliding stuff. If that's the case I can deal with it getting scratched because at least its serving a purpose. But not here because you have a cargo floor a couple inches lower and you can't really slide objects in and out. To see this in an even more laughable application check out the new Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade. They have the chrome sill but instead of the floor dropping away as it does in the Macan, the cargo floor is actually up another couple of inches. It looks like a joke an is sad to see in vehicles that sell between $50-100K and should be all about their cargo hauling capability.
  • joepatchjoepatch Member Posts: 8
    When I purchased my Macan, I ordered the trailer hitch so I could attach a bike rack. But I am sure there will be occasions when I just want to go somewhere by myself and it's nice to know I can just toss the bike in the cargo area and hit the road.
  • jiw71jiw71 Member Posts: 1
    Looks like the bike could be easily stood up (which is the proper way to transport a bike) Laying the bike on it's side, particularly on the drive side where the derailleurs are located (as pictured) is definitely wrong due to the strong chance of bending and damaging the rear derailleur. (After removing the front wheel, if the seat height is too high you can drop the seat post down for more "head room".)