Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Best Slow Car To Drive Fast (under $10g's)

peccipecci Member Posts: 5
edited February 2015 in General
I'm looking for something dynamic, responsive, fun & slow-ish. A coupe would be best, but possibly a sedan or hatch. No convertibles! I only drive 5-7000 per year and do not turn a wrench.

Any ideas? if more info is needed, I'll follow-up.

Thanks everyone.

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    New?
  • peccipecci Member Posts: 5
    No,used.

edited February 2015
    Oh, sorry, missed the 10gs in your title - maybe I'll add a $ sign there.

No convertible means no Miata. Maybe a MINI but reliability could be an issue. A Mazda3 could be good. Or a Golf.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,537
    all good choices. A Honda Fit can be fun to flog out.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    mazda3s. Definitely.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Minis aren't slow---well, maybe if you got a base model automatic---NOT the CVT transmission however, so 2006 on up. The term you used---"dynamic"--gives me pause. That's a term that eliminates a lot of otherwise suitable cars.
    Yeah "dynamic", probably not the proper word. :( Remove "dynamic" and let me add fun & capable, with a free revving engine. Although it was many yrs. ago, I'll never forget as a young Mustang Turbo owner, I became so disappointed & jealous when I took my sister's 1981 Honda Accord on a twisty road. It was slow, but the engine's smooth growl & low-end torque, along with the steering feel & chassis balance, made me believe that I had made a big mistake.

Also, reliability would be necessary, also a manual transmission.

I like the Mazda3. That will be considered. I've also been checking out the last generation of Prelude & Integra. I would love an early 80s 924, but that's a car that would require more maintenance.

I appreciate the replies. Please keep them coming.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355
    I second the Mazda3. A dark horse would be a well maintained BMW E30 or E36 318i/is/ti; the drivetrain is virtually bulletproof and the cars aren't crammed full of complex electronics just waiting to fail in a spectacular manner. Finding one would be the hardest part.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Yup - I agree on the Mazda3. Though they seem to hold their value pretty well, so could be a little tough finding a nice example at $10k. A 1st gen Mazda6 may actually be a better buy - finding a manual may be a bit tough, but you could have your choice of the V6 or 4 cyl.

Acura RSX? If you can find a low mileage one.

Maybe a first-gen TSX, but you'll be getting into pretty high mileage to keep it in budget.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

Minis aren't slow

I was thinking their "go cart" nature would make them fun in the twisties where you perhaps you didn't want to go too fast. Sounds like @pecci wants to wind it out though.

What about an '07/'08 Accord coupe?

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    Yeah, I'd chime in with a Mazda3, Fit, or Fiesta. Only manual transmissions need apply. Go back a few years/miles and you can get a lot of car (and fun) for not a lot of money.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Mazda3's aren't easy to find for under 10 grand. So far the only ones have a lot of miles.