Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Abrupt Stall While Moving - 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited February 2015 in Ram
imageAbrupt Stall While Moving - 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Long-Term Road Test

In the span of 10 seconds our 2014 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel flashed a check-engine light and abruptly stalled. We had it towed to the nearest dealer for repairs.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    This is really scary about today's cars. A co-worker of mine was renting a new Camry with about 20k on it and it went into limp mode as well. You lucked out, but what would've happened if this was in the middle of a busy intersection? Sorry, but this is not acceptable for a $50k vehicle with only 25k miles on it.

As a side note, could they really not give you a flatbed tow? I didn't think they even used this style of tow truck anymore unless its a repo or a junk car. There's something disturbing about seeing a $50k truck being dragged along as if it were some traffic violator.
  • vvkvvk Member Posts: 196
    FIAT
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    This does not bode well for long term reliability.
  • ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509

As a side note, could they really not give you a flatbed tow? I didn't think they even used this style of tow truck anymore unless its a repo or a junk car. There's something disturbing about seeing a $50k truck being dragged along as if it were some traffic violator.

This was my first thought when I saw the picture. I am baffled when I see these pictures. Tow truck operators must know something I don't, because all I know is that you really shouldn't tow a 4WD vehicle with wheels on the ground.
  • random_shotsrandom_shots Member Posts: 14

This is really scary about today's cars. A co-worker of mine was renting a new Camry with about 20k on it and it went into limp mode as well. You lucked out, but what would've happened if this was in the middle of a busy intersection? Sorry, but this is not acceptable for a $50k vehicle with only 25k miles on it.

Even new cars breakdown every once in a while. New Car does not equal 100% reliability.
  • north52north52 Member Posts: 11
    Read Scott Oldham's tweet the day you were stranded; asking if anyone could give you a ride to work the next day. I'd thought about it, but Google Maps said I was over 22hr and 1650 miles from your location, so a bit too far to volunteer for the task...
  • s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    my understanding is that a vehicle with a low gear can be flat towed as the drive-line can be completely disconnected and the wheels are moving freely.

no harm done.

• veedubber86veedubber86 Member Posts: 57
    It's a good thing you weren't doing 70 on the freeway when this happened!
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    Chrysler has known problems with their Totally Integrated Power Module. It can cause numerous systems to malfunction including stalling. Sunday I went look at a few new cars while the dealers were closed including the Ram. There is always a few that the dealer forgets to lock so you can sit inside. Although I'm not familiar with the Ram's functions I thought it was odd that when the door was opened the info center said "Remote Start Not Available Fuel Level Low" and all the gear indicator lights came on.
  • dvanosdvanos Member Posts: 52
    What a POS.
  • misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    Maybe it's a California (or L.A.) thing, but about 75% of tow trucks out here are of the hook variety, so getting a flatbed is a crapshoot. If nothing else, a hook truck can get a disabled car out of everyone's way MUCH faster than a flatbed.
  • bolotiboloti Member Posts: 47
    I hope the Ram tow-truck did not stall :)
  • reminderreminder Member Posts: 383
    The 'hook' type of tow is the preferred tool for repo outfits.
    Plenty of that going on in SoCal I expect.
  • sdpadsfansdpadsfan Member Posts: 14
    I was in serious lust with the truck until right now. I have never owned an American vehicle before, but have been considering this as a possible replacement for my wife's Tacoma even though it is more truck than we would ever need. A breakdown at 25k changed my mind very quickly and really reinforces my long-held view of American reliability (not to mention Italian).
  • actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    edited February 2015
    The thing to remember is this: this is a single vehicle with a single breakdown. It's not possible to extrapolate this specific event into a widespread problem unless its part of a larger pattern of similar events. I do not know of such a pattern at this time. Every brand and model has single-vehicle problems, but few are harbingers of doom. Recent exceptions involve certain vehicles built with Takata air bags and the GM ignition switch recall. Early first-gen Tacomas had frame problems.

For their part, Ram is taking this seriously. I'm told they have not before received a report including this sequence of events. The problem developed rapidly and escalated into a towing situation in a short time with little or no forewarning. Initial indications are these: the engine is fine, but the mechanic found debris in the fuel lines downstream of the pump. The tank and fuel check out OK, though. It seems that the parts involved are not associated with the Fiat-supplied diesel engine.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    Thanks for the follow-up, Dan. Looking forward to reading about the resolution.
  • truckjunkietruckjunkie Member Posts: 8
    edited February 2015
    I will say this - I've put over 200K on 2 Dodge / Ram Cummins diesel trucks - with a LOT of towing miles, and other than normal maintenance the only issue I had was one water pump, replaced under warranty. Don't ask me how many repairs I had with a Ford Powerstroke with less than half those miles....
  • gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    Six days with no update. Your $50,510 truck is in the shop after dying on the road. Shades of the Dart story, unless we hear something soon. Hello?
  • 300zx_lover300zx_lover Member Posts: 7
    gslippy said:

Six days with no update. Your $50,510 truck is in the shop after dying on the road. Shades of the Dart story, unless we hear something soon. Hello?

This is a recurring theme with Edmunds. The mystery that was the Dart, the insufficient information on the Tesla, etc. And then they make statements like this:
    "The thing to remember is this: this is a single vehicle with a single breakdown. It's not possible to extrapolate this specific event into a widespread problem unless its part of a larger pattern of similar events."
    If we can't extrapolate events and observations about individual long-term cars, why do they have long-term cars at all? It seems we can't learn anything from them. I wish Edmunds would do a better job because I do like them very much (ever since Inside Line). Just look at Motortrend's long-term posts. Yuck!
  • mnecodownermnecodowner Member Posts: 5
    2014 Ram 4x4 trucks have a special tow mode where all wheels freewheel. It is controlled by a push button on the dash. It is OK to tow as in the picture without disconnecting the drive train. This pre-supposes the electrical system is functional. My RAM EcoDiesel check engine light came on for the first time last week at 15000 miles. Dealer found no problems and re-set the light. The truck has been starting on the first turn sitting outside at -15F.
  • rmhpmirmhpmi Member Posts: 37
    May I ask what replacement vehicle the dealership has provided during this incident? I realize that may be of no concern to Edmunds, what with a fleet of vehicles to choose from. For an owner that would not be the case. I would be very frustrated to be driving around in a $18,000 econobox if I'd shelled out $50K for this broken Eco Diesel.
  • olyellerolyeller Member Posts: 2
    Wheel lift = Fail
  • gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    12 days, still no update on your broken $50,510 truck. In down time alone, this has cost maybe $400 in car payments. Your silence makes it seem like you're OK with this.

But we saw how the Dart thing went, and it's clear you guys are reluctant to bite the hand that feeds you - including the local dealers who service your cars.