Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Is AWD / 4MATIC a must in rainy areas?

dukehoops02dukehoops02 Member Posts: 11
edited March 2015 in Mercedes-Benz
I live in Northern California - where it can rain pretty hard in the winter months - and am considering a Mercedes ML350. To date, I've only driven FWD cards. Is RWD an unsafe option (presumably poor traction in the rain) - or does included traction control compensate enough? FWIW, the car weighs 4800 lbs.

Comments

• ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655

Is RWD an unsafe option (presumably poor traction in the rain) - or does included traction control compensate enough? FWIW, the car weighs 4800 lbs.

I only drove RWD vehicles for my first 18 years or so of driving, including considerable snow and ice here in New England. I would not consider RWD as undsafe. Good tires and reasonable driving habits and RWD would be fine.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    It's definitely not necessary... Rain traction is all about the tires, not the driven wheels, and as you noted, you have stability control.

I'd be more worried about resale on a RWD SUV... If 95% of the ML in stock at your dealer are AWD, then yours will be a tough sell, when the time comes.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator