Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dealer Issue with bad thermostat replacement

diversladydiverslady Member Posts: 1
edited March 2015 in Buick
Dealer just replaced bad thermostat in my 2007 Rendezvous. Par cost $73.20 Labor was $567.86. ???? How long should it take to replace the thermostat or did I get ripped off. I am fuming.

Answers

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    Did they charge $567.86 for labor, or does that include a coolant replacement by draining it and refilling it with DexCool? Even then that would be high.

I haven't looked under a Rendevous hood, but the engine schematic looks like the thermostat sits relatively up high on the coolant hose to the top of the radiator -- #312 and 313 in this sketch.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146

Did they charge $567.86 for labor, or does that include a coolant replacement by draining it and refilling it with DexCool? Even then that would be high.

Is it a 3.5 engine?
    I haven't looked under a Rendevous hood, but the engine schematic looks like the thermostat sits relatively up high on the coolant hose to the top of the radiator -- #312 and 313 in this sketch.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    edited March 2015
    The exhaust crossover pipe passes the thermostat outlet obstructing access. If there is any issue with the bolts for the thermostat housing going into the intake manifold that pipe must be removed. If there was a bolt/thread issue and the exhaust pipe needed to be removed then the price would be in range. If not the labor time is 1.9 hours (warranty 1.4). You need to get a good explanation for why the charge was as high as it was.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I continue to be AMAZED at how difficult what used to be a simple job can be these days!

Even the price of the thermostat sounds nuts!
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    The thermostat is often serviced as an assembly with the housing these days. Some aftermarket suppliers make a replaceable thermostat insert for some of these, but not all of them. Want to have something for a reference for how bad it is? I have 38 different ways to access a 13mm hex bolt, and there really is a reason for each and everyone of them. Now expand that out through all of the different sizes, (and we still have standard fasteners too) and tooling costs are getting unmanageable.