Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ramp Travel Index, Take 1 - 2015 Chevrolet Colorado Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited March 2015 in Chevrolet
imageRamp Travel Index, Take 1 - 2015 Chevrolet Colorado Long-Term Road Test

I pointed our 2015 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 4x4 toward up our Ramp Travel Index ramp to measure its suspension articulation and determine its RTI score.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    adamb1adamb1 Member Posts: 122
    What's the RTI for the Ram 1500? How does the coil spring suspension compare in this regard to the F150?
  • Options
    jeepsrtjeepsrt Member Posts: 88
    I would be interested in what the Ram does as well. Not sure if you have the air suspension on the Ram but I was less than impressed with it on my '11 Jeep Overland. I went mild off roading and it picked the rear wheel off the ground very quickly, there was no articulation at all just felt like solid metal shocks.
  • Options
    ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    Disappointing to say the least.
  • Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    It has the Z71 off road package but it does this? The phrase "epic fail" applies.
  • Options
    jstrauch81jstrauch81 Member Posts: 64
    That's pretty lame of GM... here's an "off-road" truck but as soon as you go off-road the air dam will break. AWESOME ENGINEERING!! $5 says the prius could beat it up the ramp stock vs. stock.
  • Options
    desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    Unbelievably lame.

The Toyota Racing Development crew must be laughing.
    (Yeah, apart from their initials being TRD)

• Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    edited March 2015

Unbelievably lame.

Toyota, like GM, is also doing everything possible to improve fuel economy. This includes adding a huge air dam below the bumper of the upcoming Tacoma. http://wot.motortrend.com/1501_see_it_here_first_the_2016_toyota_tacoma.html
  • Options
    squarefoursquarefour Member Posts: 24

Unbelievably lame.

Toyota, like GM, is also doing everything possible to improve fuel economy. This includes adding a huge air dam below the bumper of the upcoming Tacoma. http://wot.motortrend.com/1501_see_it_here_first_the_2016_toyota_tacoma.html
    That's the Tacoma Limited you linked to. Click the link below and you'll notice that air dam is conspicuously absent from the TRD Off-road package. Because, well, OFF-ROAD! The fact Chevy left it on the Z71 tells you even GM doesn't consider it a real off-road package.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/trucks/1501_2016_toyota_tacoma_first_look/photo_01.html
  • Options
    mr_botsmr_bots Member Posts: 236
    That is fairly ridiculous but I believe I read somewhere that only the early build trucks have the screws in that direction and it's since been changed where the screw heads are now at the bottom. GM knows hows to do this better, the last generation half-tons (GMT800s) only had a few screws and some clips holding the lower facia on.
  • Options
    emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    Pathetic.

I suppose it shows how few people take their 4x4 off-road package equipped trucks off-road.

Excellent post, Dan
  • Options
    emajoremajor Member Posts: 332

The one profile shot of the truck in that gallery suggests the air dam is shaped to not interfere with the approach angle; a straight line from the tire to the front bumper isn't crossed by the air dam. It looks bad from the front, though.

• Options
    desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
  • Options
    hopsterhopster Member Posts: 6
    $50 says that the front air dam would survive just fine. Hell, do it and if you tare it off I'll buy you a new one.
  • Options
    bassracerxbassracerx Member Posts: 188
    i say you take the measurement with the flap on and leave it there. If GM wants to do better in off road comparisons maybe they should give their cars more than 3 inches of ground clearance!